Old 09-29-2015, 03:16 AM   #171
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
Sorry, I started it all.
Don't be sorry - it's been an excellent thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
I have to try them all out!
I'd be careful with that plan. Some of the suggestions in the thread verge on pyromania.

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #172

I didn't read every post, so maybe this has already been stated, but my wife saves the empty toilet paper roll. Fills that with lint from the dryer screen.

We keep a dozen or so of those in the rig, throw some twigs on top of one of those, light it, then progressively add larger pieces of wood.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #173
Summer2Go

Some really great contributions. I'm going to use a few for the house fireplace too. I use way too much newspaper trying to get that fire going.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #174

When not in a rush and everything is dry, I build a tee pee style fire as my gorl friend is more of a traditionalist for the outdoors. When in a rush, I break out the can of diesel as someone else suggested after placing some smaller wood and some bigger stuff in a pile. Another thing that works well and nobody mentioned it is used cooking oil. I save the oil from the deep fryer and pour it on the fire to get it going and also a good way to get rid of it as it is hard to dispose of otherwise.

As for my fire pit, I have a nice big stainless steel tub from a front load Maytag washer (I service them for a living) placed on top of a big old truck rim. The tub has lots of air holes to feed the fire and being up a bit off the ground throws out the heat better. I have had the thing about three quarters full of coals under the fire and the tub glowing red and the next day I can throw a couple more chunks on and have a roaring fire again in no time. There are enough coal that you could roast something nice on there but I have a Big Green Egg for doing the cooking. Yum.
DG, DH
Tally the Greyhound and Itty the Chihuahua
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #175
Site Team

We went to a "Pioneer Days" festival this past weekend. There were people dressed up in pioneer clothing, making things out of wood, lots of animal skins, hatchet throwers, etc...

At one of the booths they were giving people the opportunity to try and start a fire using flint and steel. I stood and watched a couple of girls try it for a few minutes. They were creating plenty of sparks, but couldn't get anything to actually light.

Made me appreciate having a few of these around:

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'ray View Post
When not in a rush and everything is dry, I build a tee pee style fire as my gorl friend is more of a traditionalist for the outdoors. When in a rush, I break out the can of diesel as someone else suggested after placing some smaller wood and some bigger stuff in a pile. Another thing that works well and nobody mentioned it is used cooking oil. I save the oil from the deep fryer and pour it on the fire to get it going and also a good way to get rid of it as it is hard to dispose of otherwise.

As for my fire pit, I have a nice big stainless steel tub from a front load Maytag washer (I service them for a living) placed on top of a big old truck rim. The tub has lots of air holes to feed the fire and being up a bit off the ground throws out the heat better. I have had the thing about three quarters full of coals under the fire and the tub glowing red and the next day I can throw a couple more chunks on and have a roaring fire again in no time. There are enough coal that you could roast something nice on there but I have a Big Green Egg for doing the cooking. Yum.
LOVE those Washing Machine Tubs !!!
Have been using those for close to 40 years,,, they also make great live wells !!! I have a great photo of a fire in one several years back,,, but can't seam it attach it ???
Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We went to a "Pioneer Days" festival this past weekend. There were people dressed up in pioneer clothing, making things out of wood, lots of animal skins, hatchet throwers, etc...

At one of the booths they were giving people the opportunity to try and start a fire using flint and steel. I stood and watched a couple of girls try it for a few minutes. They were creating plenty of sparks, but couldn't get anything to actually light.

Made me appreciate having a few of these around:

Want a good one,,, buy a BIC !!!
LOL !!!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:52 AM   #178

I'm not good in building fire but I often use matches.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #179

I must admit after reading this thread several weeks ago,,,
I put a Propane Torch in the MH !!!
Dammest Fire Starter Ever !!!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #180
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

EasyClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445179586771.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	92019

TURBS