Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #61
Retired

Transporting Firewood ~WJ

Great discussion with the variety of options when starting a camp fire.

On a more serious side of building a camp fire is the transporting of firewood in your TV. Due to the increase of invasive beetles such as the emerald ash borer, Japanese longhorn beetle, bark beetle many states through out the US have enacted laws regarding the transportation of fw from state-to-state and even between counties within the state. Check out this website to read about transporting fw in your neck of the world.
Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases

Some states will allow you to transport fw IF the fw has a Firewood Heat Treatment Certification fixed to it.

Good rule-of-thumb to remember "is buy local-burn local"

Happy Trails
Old 07-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #62

How about paper shredding's ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #63

I used to use traditional methods, but since have found the JAJA pro start fire starter. I use it also to light the charcoal chimney for the grill. It uses the common Coleman propane cylinders and its a very useful tool around the RV. Its nice to light the starter and be able to do some other things while the fire is starting. It uses less propane than you might think.

Home
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #64

A little crumpled news paper with kindling placed on top in a crisscross pattern. When the kindling starts getting going place smaller logs on top then as they get going place larger logs. Takes about 5 to 10 mins to get a good fireplace fire going but it will give you a good amber base to sustain the fire. and cost less than starts and duraflames
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #65
Gold Miner At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Just lite up a road flare,throw it in the pit,then put your small pieces on top of it.
Been there and done that a few times. Was on the beach at Hatteras a few years ago sitting by a fire. A large family came down and worked for probably a half hour trying to get a fire started with no luck. I took a road flare and walked down where they were. Struck it and laid it under their attempted fire pit. Said have a good evening and just walked away. Within a few minutes their fire was going strong. Good times.
Papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #66

Papa-t
Like the road flare idea. Whats the cost & where do you get them?
Thanks
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #67

Dryer lint works like a charm. Dryer lint, kindling, tepee, done.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #68
Forest River Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to wanderlost Send a message via Skype™ to wanderlost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Dryer lint works like a charm. Dryer lint, kindling, tepee, done.
What Antone said... Works great!

I keep a baggie of dryer lint in my go bag along with some steel wool. You can mix it up with some small twigs and start it with a match (or use the steel wool and a 9v battery if you are out of matches).
2017 - Three trips, 1 state, 7 nights
2016 - Four trips, 11 states, 19 nights
2015 - Four trips, 12 states, 17 nights
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Great discussion with the variety of options when starting a camp fire.

On a more serious side of building a camp fire is the transporting of firewood in your TV. Due to the increase of invasive beetles such as the emerald ash borer, Japanese longhorn beetle, bark beetle many states through out the US have enacted laws regarding the transportation of fw from state-to-state and even between counties within the state. Check out this website to read about transporting fw in your neck of the world.
Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases

Some states will allow you to transport fw IF the fw has a Firewood Heat Treatment Certification fixed to it.

Good rule-of-thumb to remember "is buy local-burn local"

Happy Trails
Great reminder. Maine prohibits firewood from outside of Maine being transported in Maine. Over major holidays and occasional random checks, Maine Forest Service will set up checkpoints to enforce this law.

There are some campgrounds that prohibit any outside firewood and require that you purchase their firewood.

Back to the question at hand...balled-up newspaper as tinder; dry, split cedar for kindling and then seasoned firewood. I'm fortunate I can cut from my land , although I often buy it to save time and hassle. The key is seasoned and not green, which depending on how you stack it and where, can take as long as 2-4 months or more. Recall an old timer saying "stack it so a mouse can run through it but not the cat chasing it".

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #70
(Dry Huunday)

The Dryer lint idea does work great but......ours is filled with lots of Dog hair....lots and lots and LOTS of Dog Hair! Not a pleasant smell at all!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCampingFan View Post
Great reminder. Maine prohibits firewood from outside of Maine being transported in Maine. Over major holidays and occasional random checks, Maine Forest Service will set up checkpoints to enforce this law.
I should have added that on occasion during these checkpoints, MFS has offered to "exchange" out-of-state firewood with firewood from Maine.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #72

Fatwood is the best way with some pinecones or pinestraw a close 2nd.

Flybob's solution works as well - but I don't like using petroleum products.

If you want to use an accelerant, the best stuff out there is unscented hand sanatizer squirted on the kindeling wood. Best thing out there, but be careful when lighting: the flame is almost invisible.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #73

We're brand new to camping (and a brand new member) and I've never even heard of Fatwood. I gotta give this a try!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #74

Great stuff. Readily available here in the south.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #75

Pick the wood you want to use and pour a small amount of diesel fuel on it and in a short time you have a fire. I say diesel fuel as you wont get the huge flash you get when using straight gas. Diesel burns hot and I have been able to get a fire going even with wood left out in the elements.

If you are going to cook over the fire then i would opt for newspaper to get the fire going.

Diesel fuel has worked wonders for me. I keep a small gas jug of it by the fire and when I'm ready for a fire I pour and lite it. Works great.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #76

I can't believe there is almost 80 post on campfire building. So, maybe I am confused by the OP's question. Is it the fact he can not get the wood lit? The fire doesn't burn hot or the fire smokes too much?
Some of the responses would seem to indicate there is enjoyment for the "art" of making fire while others like myself, put some charcoal lighter fluid on dry logs and have fire in 30 seconds or less. Some very expensive and time consuming, some cheap, fast and easy and others only light the fire with a wooden match after gathering the perfect stages of sized kindling. To each his own as long as the result is the same, enjoy a nice warm fire but not sure if we addressed the OP's question.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #77
Site Team

Wish the guy 3 sites from me last wknd read this thread. I think he was teaching his son how to build a fire. Had to put mine out and go inside and close windows as smoke was so thick.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #78

I've started fires old school for over 40 years. No more! Now I pile the wood and stick the end of a 1lb propane into the pile. No more screwing around!
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #79

THIS IS KINDA NEAT. Google "Swedish torch ".
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #80

Old scouting method I learned. It is a compilation of several items mentioned. Basically starts in the fall. I put a grocery bag next to the dryer to put the lint in. Throughout the winter as DW burns those Yankee Candles, I save them when they burn out. As we get closer to spring, I save a couple of the cardboard egg cartons. I heat up the empty jars in the oven. Stuff the egg cartons full of lint (and yes, some with dog hair) and then poor the wax over it (if indoors, make sure you put newspaper down for the mess). Let cool, break into chunks, and stuff in gallon zip lock bags. I've used the citronella candle wax too, but that stays a little soft.