Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #21

Water comes in thru a KDF impregnated filter. FW Tank and lines are chlorinated every 2 months.
Any water we drink or use for cooking goes thru a Berkey. If we will be boondocking or traveling, we will store some water in a couple of Scepter MWCs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D668F08-7A3F-4D69-A660-AC784C18FA39.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	219967  
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #22

Why is it we are worried about water in campgrounds being contaminated? Water is typically from local municipalities water department and is subject to federal and state testing and standards. But, when we go out to eat at a local restaurant, near the same campground, we don’t think twice about the drinking the water or contaminated water used in the tea, coffee, we drink, or about the water that is used in food prep, which is water from the same water department?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #23

I pretty much stopped filtering most campsite water. Dang filter reduces water pressure in shower. I hate that. In my winter site, I'm at a county park using city water, so I do just like all the zillions of houses..........I hook up and use it.

To combat any issues to my mammalian self, I developed an immune system. So far, it has never failed.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Our water experiences are very similar to 5pickers, as to water in campgrounds. We also always have fresh water with us.
I clean the RV water system about twice a year with bleach and flushing.
We, like 5picker, also run water through the hoses before connecting to the RV, just to inspect it and flush anything in the hoses.
We used to use all types and manner of filters for any incoming water. After several years I grew tired of the expense, the maint, and the general PITA of the filter process. And I grew convinced that filters introduced as many problems as they prevented.
So now we don't use any filters. We use bottled water for cooking, drinking, and coffee. We use the RV/campground water for dish washing, bathing, and tooth brushing, so we do ingest small amounts of it. We now seem to have fewer episodes of stomach problems due to unknown reasons while RVing. Is it related to our water usage routines? Who knows, but I sure enjoy not dealing with the filter processes
Do I trust the water at all campgrounds? No, but I'm not afraid to use it unless it looks or smells odd.
X-2 I think maybe us older folk have been subject to a lot of bacteria growing up so we may be immune to a lot of the stuff out there.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I prefer to chlorinate on a regular basis rather than once/twice per year. Whenever I add water to my tank (even from my city water at home) I add 1/2 tsp of Clorox (per their emergency water chlorination instructions on their site) for every 5 gallons added. I use a small meter on the hose that gives me a near perfect measure.

I feel that adding the "chlorine" with every tank fill not only makes sure no "bugs" from a questionable source survive but also insures that nothing grows in my tank from leftover water.

I still use the OE filter, replacing the cartridge once per year, and it removes any sediment or residual chlorine. Have no qualms about drinking from my freshwater tank. It just may be safer than drinking bottled water.

Here I am, charging down the stretch to 80 years old and have yet to contract any "water born" illness. I did attend an "Ice Cream Social one time at a KOA campground and that was a 2-day, 3 rolls of TP experience.

FWIW, never assume a campground has had their water system tested recently, or even in the last 10 years. Consider that many are remote and if they don't have an on-site restaurant/food service facility, chances are nobody bothers to test.

Their well water may well have a lot in common with Jack In The Box hamburgers in years past or Salinas valley Romaine Lettuce today. Especially if there are cattle grazing nearby.

Since I rarely use a full hookup campground this is pretty much moot for me. The ones I do use when stopping to dump and restock are usually getting "City Water"
My experiences are very similar to TitanMike's. At 85+ I've motorhomed every state, most of Canada west to east, up into the Yukon and across to Alaska with no water problems. Strangely enough, like Mike, DW did suffer a severe stomach illness from eating ice cream once. Didn't affect me … different flavor perhaps.

But then, I also have 40 years experience managing my mountain home's water system: pump from a spring up to a 12,000 gallon cistern, gravity feed to the house, chlorinating in the process. Occasionally, I'll send samples to be tested. Again, no problems.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #26

Buy yourself a Berkey water system filter. If you do any extended camping you'll never know how smart you are because you'll never get sick from drinking contimnated water and have the worse case of diarrhea you would not wish on anyone. I speak from experience. This way you can grab water from any source even if it is bad. The Berkey will purify it better than any tablets or anything else you might think of.
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #27

If I end up sitting on the "Throne" for 3 days....well....guess that answers that question.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
Why is it we are worried about water in campgrounds being contaminated? Water is typically from local municipalities water department and is subject to federal and state testing and standards. But, when we go out to eat at a local restaurant, near the same campground, we don’t think twice about the drinking the water or contaminated water used in the tea, coffee, we drink, or about the water that is used in food prep, which is water from the same water department?

And some local restaurants,not near campgrounds, using city water taste pretty bad.

I use the inline filters that take out bacteria, plus the house filter. The FW tank is sanitized once a year, before the start of the season, and unused water changed out for a complete fresh tank every one to two months during camping season. So far, no problems. Yes I drink the campground water. Usually, not camping in remote areas.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I use the inline filters that take out bacteria, plus the house filter. The FW tank is sanitized once a year, before the start of the season, and unused water changed
You'll need a filter capable of filtering out particles between 1 and 2 microns to do that. That would really slow down your water flow I would think.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
You'll need a filter capable of filtering out particles between 1 and 2 microns to do that. That would really slow down your water flow I would think.
Some people will install a .5 micron filter under the kitchen sink where most drinking water is drawn. Water going on to the bathroom then just runs through either the factory installed filter or their favorite outside filter.

The .5 micron filter ( ifTested and certified to NSF/ANSI Standard 53 or NSF/ANSI Standard 58 for cyst removal) will yield safe drinking water without clorine or UV treatment.

As for flow, clean water won't be significantly restricted through the "fine" filters but once they collect some of the items designed to catch the flow will drop quickly. This is why the fine filters are used as a secondary filter, using a pre-filter or two ahead of it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Benchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The .5 micron filter ( ifTested and certified to NSF/ANSI Standard 53 or NSF/ANSI Standard 58 for cyst removal) will yield safe drinking water without clorine or UV treatment.
This is easy enough to manage and save on energy boondocking. I would use a 20 to 25, then a 5 to .5 micro filter system to ensure safe and clean drinking water with reasonable maintenance.

Thanks

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #32

Filtration vs purification

Quote from "off grid camping" It is important to note that water filtration systems do not treat viruses in any way. While these systems may make water appear to be clean, they cannot be relied upon as a sole means to ensure safe drinking water for you or your family.

Purification on the other hand; Similar to water filtration, the process of water purification works to remove impurities from water. However, the impurities focused on in the purification process are those that relate to the overall safety of the water: biological contaminants, viruses, chemicals, and other materials.

A Berkey system is a "purification system". If anyone watches Shawn James on his YouTube site My Self Reliance you'd see he gets his drinking water from a not to clean stream depending on the time of the year. He uses a Berkey purifier to stay alive.

https://youtu.be/AxM9FYSs8V4
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #33

I know my water is clean as most of it comes in a Miller Lite bottle.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:44 AM   #34

Quote:
I know my water is clean as most of it comes in a Miller Lite bottle.......
Practically all of a Miller Lite bottle contains water...and tastes like water.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #35

Very true. But it helps moderate the affects of my favorite dark craft beers on my waist line and sobriety level
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Practically all of a Miller Lite bottle contains water...and tastes like water.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #36

Most RV trips end up at home.If your house is on "city" water, just drain the water tank, and fill it with "city" water.

The tank will stay fresh. Drain it , and refill again before your next adventure.

Much of the water city tastes like a swimming pool ,, bad for coffee but great for killing bugs.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Very true. But it helps moderate the affects of my favorite dark craft beers on my waist line and sobriety level
Not worth it! Walk it off!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #38

I been camping for 10 plus years with no filter. Still alive to type this 😂.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #39

I had our water tested.

We leave our camper at a campground for 3 months out of the year so I had the water tested by the state and it was not potable. I now filter the water before entering the camper with a filter designed for our greenhouse, then through a small Water Boss water softener, then through a bank of 3 filters with the last one being a charcoal filter, then through a UV light and now it tests good. We did this because our new Cedar Creek has an ice maker and the 14 miles to Walmart to a jug of water got old.
maxxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #40

Even if the water looks clean you don’t know what kind of bacteria and parasites are in it . The 2016 Minilite we have had a water filter in it but I am sure it just gets sediment . I was thinking if splicing in something to treat for bacteria behind it . Any suggestions on parts ?
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water