Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #31

Back in our younger days we would drive to Colorado nonstop, all 1300 miles. We didn't have air-conditioning in the tv, so driving through Nebraska at night was a blessing.
But these days, I would rather take it easy and enjoy the trip. I still like to get an early start, on the road by 8, but we take rest-stops whenever we feel like it, and like to be off the road before suppertime. That usually ends up being about 400 miles, depending on the road. Interstates are easy-squeasy, winding two-lanes obviously more work.
The main purpose of out travels now is to enjoy every minute, and not to add one moment of stress. The world heaps enough of that on us as it is.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The main purpose of out travels now is to enjoy every minute, and not to add one moment of stress. The world heaps enough of that on us as it is.
Well said, my friend, well said!

Mike

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #33
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
We are nearing the end of our first long distance camping adventure. 18 days, 7 campgrounds and something like 1200 miles. We're relatively new to towing a trailer and I have to say that some legs of our trip have been very exhausting. We've been travelling up and down Oregon and Washington and some of the roads have been VERY twisty and hilly and sometimes, bumpy. Forever slowing down, speeding up, keeping on top of the braking, hanging onto the steering wheel with two hands, watching other vehicles around you, etc. ...... Buffeting from the wind seems to be particularly tiring. Am dragging a shorter TT at 20' and it is easy to handle and manouver and I can almost fling it around corners now. The hard part is keeping the truck solidly planted in the center of the road at all times with all the corners, bumps and wind.

A couple of the legs of our trip ended up being about 5-6 hours. Still under 60 yrs old (just), but am finding this can be a real grind. Seems to take a day to recoup at the destination campground. Oh, my aching body and tired head at the end of a drive.....

Just wondering if some people have a rule of thumb for driving time and distances? Does a self-imposed mandatory stop somewhere for a rest help that much? We're hoping to do some much longer trips in the future.

ps: Regardless, we are having the times of our lives. What a hoot a camping holiday towing a TT is!! Have seen some great sights and met some great people.
I've found that 6 hours is my limit.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #34

300 Miles a day is our max...we have been known to drive less than 75 miles, see something interesting and stop for the day!
Safe Travels.
Andi
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #35

your original post/trip should give you an idea of how long a travel day should be for YOU - too many variables - weather, road conditions, terrain, traffic, traveling companion(s) requirements to give a definative answer to the question.....Bill
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #36

When I was working(been retired for a bit over 10 years now), we used to really push when we were headed out west. It was a 2000 mile trip form here. We used to do it in 3 days. Some days were very long and my better half used to get upset with me. Now we will do that same trip in 6 days. We start out at 7 AM and drive to our next destination which is pre planned. We are usually in a campground no later than 3 PM. That gives us time to get settled in, sit down and relax with a "pop" or two, have supper, relax, watch a bit of TV if we want and go to bed when we feel like it and do it again the next day. No more getting in, eating , going to bed and driving like there's no tomorrow the next day. Much more relaxed trip and my better half is fine with that way of traveling.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #37

We usually travel for 300 - 350 mi/5 -6 hrs but it all depends on: traffic, weather, cost of fuel, cost of meals, whether I am bitchy or not (she says always), are we lost, do we want to stay lost and explore. All have said, in many ways "Do what works for YOU". That way everybody is happy and still talk to each other at the end of the day.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #38

We did a 18 hour drive from Des Moines Iowa to sterling Colorado one day. But that included
1 leaving a flooded camp ground with water rising in Iowa a 6 am water was about 6 inches in most placed and coming up
2. Trailer wiring rubbed on the highway an shorted the wire- so I had to stop and find a store selling wiring harness cable in a flooding Omaha when stores were not real worried about being open
3. Once I bought that and had to replace it myself in a Walmart parking lot
4 had to pull off 80 to let a tornado cross ahead
5 finally pulled into the camp ground 18 hours after leaving Iowa. Didn't even unhook Extended the slides out went to bed and got up the next Morning for leg three a short 5 hour drive to Colorado springs
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #39

travel time

I usually do 300 miles or six hours with stops along the way to stretch.

2013 so far 48 days
geodavis is offline   Reply With Quote