Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

How fast does it go?

I went and picked up a tow bar today and when coming home was passed by a Class C Gemini doing in the area of 90MPH. I couldn't keep up and quit trying. How I know about the 90MPH, I was at 85 in my car when it passed. Just info about crazy folks looking for a rest home. I am leaving to go camping as I just got my RV out of the shop.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Coach

I prefer life in the slow lane. To each his own I guess. There's probably comments about me in forums somewhere for driving 63 in a 70, but I can live with that.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
I prefer life in the slow lane. To each his own I guess. There's probably comments about me in forums somewhere for driving 63 in a 70, but I can live with that.

You have company over in that lane. I kind of enjoy it there. Rarely have to pass anyone and when I need to exit I just do that. No need to work my way through traffic to get over in that lane.

With my "schedule" it works just fine and I burn less gas as a "reward".

Someday one of us here will have someone breeze by us at 90 and when we get down the road the dust may have settled from the accident they were rushing to.

Several years ago "one of those" (although a Pickup with 5-er) was doing exactly that when traffic suddenly stopped ahead of him. Couldn't stop/control rig, went through cable barrier in median, and killed several members of a single family when hitting their car head on. Happened right where I enter I-5 when I take off on my trips.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Always Learning

I just dropped my driving speed from 64mph to 60mph and my towing fuel mileage changed from 8.8 or so to 9.5. I only have one trip at that speed so I don’t know if it was an anomaly or an actual improvement, though.

I will say, that 4mph decrease *felt* way slower. Almost agonizingly, glacial slow.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Maybe the class c driver was a transporter.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #6

We live in a freedom of choice country... We have laws, recommendations, do not exceed parameters but you ultimately make your own choice based on information availability and your decision.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
We live in a freedom of choice country... We have laws, recommendations, do not exceed parameters but you ultimately make your own choice based on information availability and your decision.
and some are based on Shear Stupidity.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Which sounds good in a discussion of various philosophies however it really sucks when someone decides on a course of action that ends up killing or maiming others.

Flying down a freeway at a ridiculous speed, in a motor home is beyond stupid.

Only time I could care less about someone doing this is if there was some way to guarantee that should an accident occur THEY would be the ONLY casualty. We all know that's impossible.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I just dropped my driving speed from 64mph to 60mph and my towing fuel mileage changed from 8.8 or so to 9.5. I only have one trip at that speed so I don’t know if it was an anomaly or an actual improvement, though.

I will say, that 4mph decrease *felt* way slower. Almost agonizingly, glacial slow.
The increase in fuel economy is an example of why we once had a national 55 mph speed limit. It DOES make a difference.

As for the 4 mph less feeling glacially slow two thoughts. First, it's easy to get used to after driving like that for a while. Second, in a 4 hour trip it probably adds a whole 20 minutes to the driving time (not counting potty stops, fuel stops, or just stretch your leg stops).

Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
x3 Same here but around 62 get's me the best fuel mileage and somebody made the comment I was the road hazard as somebody could run into me I would rather be rear ended than can't stop squashed between my fiver and the back of a stopped semi. I get a real kick watching the same speeding fool pass me several times in his mad dash to get to his destination before anyone else. I have pulled up to some stopped at a traffic light/stop sign and looking like they actually got the better of me I just smile as they peel off to the next stop.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
x3 Same here but around 62 get's me the best fuel mileage and somebody made the comment I was the road hazard as somebody could run into me I would rather be rear ended than can't stop squashed between my fiver and the back of a stopped semi. I get a real kick watching the same speeding fool pass me several times in his mad dash to get to his destination before anyone else. I have pulled up to some stopped at a traffic light/stop sign and looking like they actually got the better of me I just smile as they peel off to the next stop.
When I'm cruising along in the slow lane I usually have a lot of company. Funny thing, nobody is tailgating and usually leave LOTS of room for stopping.

My wife and I used to laugh about the same people passing us several times as we'd drive across states like Montana and South Dakota. Fly by in their MH's or with truck and trailer. An hour or so later, Woosh, same vehicle and repeated several times over the hours. We've even pulled into RV parks for the night and one of those same vehicles was checking in right ahead of us.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #12

I’m surprised that little Mercedes V-6 can get up to 95 mph. Ford Class C units have speed limiters (75 or 80, I’ve heard).
Old 07-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I’m surprised that little Mercedes V-6 can get up to 95 mph. Ford Class C units have speed limiters (75 or 80, I’ve heard).
I used to have a Ford E=150 Company Vehicle that had a speed limiter. Not 75-80 though, it was 100 mph. Actually "activated" it a couple times. Just shuts down engine until you drop to below the limit. That was back in the 90's when I was "younger".

With speed limits around the country being as high as 80, I doubt that the speed limiter is set lower.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #14

We are currently on an extended voyage and I push my C and toad at 60 sometimes slower.
The I-90 across SD has a speed limit at 80mph. Here I am doing my 60mph. Enjoying the road, everyone just a fly'in by. I will say this. I-90 is built for speed. The concrete is as smooth as a fresh washed and powdered babies butt. The best dang road I have ever driven on. If you have never driven it, you owe it to yourself to,drive it in Late June.
So if you see a white Sunseeker pulling a Subaru in the slow lane, understand, I am retired and got all the time in the world to enjoy a good road and the scenery.
Pass on brother, He'll ain't half full.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote