Old 08-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #41

Maybe we can just convince FR to adopt NASA wiring standards in all their factories - if it can survive a rocket launch, I'm guessing it would survive bouncing down the road at 65mph!

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/...NSTD87394A.pdf

Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Just wanted to get back and thank everyone for their feedback and comments. Day 3 now and we are plugging along fine. I'm keeping an eye on the wires and wire nuts and they are cool with AC and fridge running on the 110.

I point the finger at General RV for this one. Someone commented why the trailer is 3 years old and it's just now happening. It's because this happened after General replaced our shore cord last year and obviously left wire nuts loose. The combination of that and the heat from the AC unit issue we had earlier on the trip (compressor constantly trying to fire pulling tons of amps) melted everything is my guess.

Last year the other end of the shore cord melted from pulling 30amps in 114 degrees for 4 days straight.

Anyway, I guess this is another one of those we got lucky situations, having found this before we left the trailer for the day. Or we might have come back to the fire dept toasting smores over the coals.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I missed something here, the op said he pulled 30amps for four days and it melted the shore cord end. I would think the 30amp cord or the end would not be a problem. I'm not to bright but I would think a 30amp cord could run forever if all was going through it was 30amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I missed something here, the op said he pulled 30amps for four days and it melted the shore cord end. I would think the 30amp cord or the end would not be a problem. I'm not to bright but I would think a 30amp cord could run forever if all was going through it was 30amps.

The OP found a bad connection and was in extreme heat situation. These things together caused more resistance and more heat etc... Then failure was destined.

Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

There are two separate issues I mentioned. Last year we had the prong end of the shore cord melt. This past week it was the other inside end where the wires come into the unit and connect the the romex in the unit.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The question I have for the OP is was the wire nut connection there from the factory, and General RV left the connection loose when they replaced the cord?.......Or was some other type of connection there before and General RV replaced it with the wire nut connection? The third question is could you tell if the conductors were twisted together or were they relying on the wire nut to be the connection?

Its still a good idea to go over, or have someone who knows electrical if you do not, go over your electrical system. What was done to ours when it was installed by over tightening and stripping all the screws on the breakers and ground / neutral bars was an absolute joke.
Not sure since the cord rolls into an inside box under our pantry whether or not the factory had wire nuts originally, or if General RV replaced with nuts... Either way I'm home now and will be having a professional electrician crimp and do the job right this time. Pity we have to rebuild our trailers and RV's after we buy them!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #46

Pic of my repair to limp us through the rest of the trip. The white and black wires were completely melted and smoking. I cut the char off stripped fresh wire and wire nutted them back.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470853086.552916.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	116838

1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
I did away with all the wire nuts in my unit......I soldered all the connections and then taped them up........The 7 wire connector from the TV is a prime example of this needed mod...check the white wires!!!! j
X2 on the solder. Anytime I put two wires together, it gets soldered, then a twist nut for insulation. Too much resistance from twisted connections and the added possibility they will work apart while bouncing down the highway. Don't care for the quicky screw down connections, but sometimes you have no choice.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #48

Mr. Havercamp you need to chill😡were you employed by forest river and terminated? If you hate this company so much you should buy yourself a new unit. Maybe a different brand. Good luck finding one that we meet your standards.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #49
The Texas Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddymiller View Post
Mr. Havercamp you need to chill😡were you employed by forest river and terminated? If you hate this company so much you should buy yourself a new unit. Maybe a different brand. Good luck finding one that we meet your standards.
I disagree. Forest River is considered by most to be relatively high-end manufacturer, probably right after Airstream, and they typically charge accordingly. When you pay for quality you expect quality, especially with safety critical systems like electrical wiring. Bringing to light any issues in such areas is the main purpose of forums like this.
As a fellow newbie, I might suggest lightening it up a notch. You know, the honey vs. vinegar thing.