Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #101

How I damaged my RV

Haven't needed it yet but I have a gate valve at the end with a clear 90 degree elbow and a cap with a hose thread and a ball valve on the end. That way if there is liquid in the line I can drain it into a bucket.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #102

Why don't they make a clear cap?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Why don't they make a clear cap?

after crud from the tanks slosh on it for a few days.... it would not be clear anymore and look really nasty...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #104

And ironically the OUTSIDE of my clear elbow is always dirtier from road grime/mud/roadkill than the INSIDE is....lol...wipe the outside off and its clear as day one....a clear cap would be ok, but half the benefit of the clear elbow is that you can see the state of water draining from tanks.....everyone loves the poo flow show... haha

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
after crud from the tanks slosh on it for a few days.... it would not be clear anymore and look really nasty...
What I was thinking of is a clear cap, but keep valves closed. No sloshing from tanks, but maybe a little liquid that leaks. At least one would know if there's impending trouble.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
What I was thinking of is a clear cap, but keep valves closed. No sloshing from tanks, but maybe a little liquid that leaks. At least one would know if there's impending trouble.
Clear elbow, capped with the valves closed. You can see "impending trouble" and the "poo flow show". Best of both worlds. As you dump you will be thinking "Man, that's an impressive amount of crap!
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I've learned twice now that when the landing gear sounds like its struggling and then sounds like its skipping gears you need to raise the rear landing gear. It has a real tough time trying to lift the whole rig. I've almost driven away with my steps down lots of times but they sit pretty high. I've crushed a wheel chock way worse than the dude in the video. One thing I learned but wasn't my fault: I used to keep the cap on my drain pipe. I was parked for the weekend at this huge party/BBQ festival and went to drain the tanks when I got home (I have hookups at home) I pulled off the cap and got a nailed. Some D***head pulled my black tank valve. Just recently another RV'er pointed out to me that I lost that cap and I explained it to her. She told her husband to go remove their cap right away.
I had to find the source of all the black tank talk.

Stories like this make me really happy that my pull handles are locked up in my basement.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #108

I was outside and told the DW to go ahead and bring the slide in. About 2/3 of the way in, it stops. I walk around and ask if there is a problem.
Tears are starting to roll and she shakes her head yes.
I step up in the trailer and see that the door to the bathroom is now wedged up against the slide and can still hear the wood cracking.
Put the slide back out, close the door and bring it in.
She was so upset with her self that all I could do was go back outside and tell her we can fix it.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #109
Plain Old Member

Never underestimate the power of a slide out. When you want them to work, that's when they fail. When you wish they'd stop, they won't. I got lucky and only came out with minor damage to a cabinet door and hinges. Bad thing is, I was standing within 3 feet of the open door. Didn't take long to let go of that switch when I heard that noise.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #110

I didn't do any damage to our Flagstaff 27RLWS, just my pride. We were returning to the US from our ALCAN trip, and cleared the border north of Bonners Ferry, ID. We stopped at a very nice RV park in Naples, ID. It had been a long day and I didn't follow DW's and my checklist for setting up. I told her to run the slides out while I hooked everything up. She normally hooks the power up, and I level and unhook. We travel with a cat, and she had been in her carrier all day, so I wanted to get her out. I carried her to the TT, as DW had opened the slides. I then proceeded to hook up water, and as I walked by our Suburban, the drivers door was open. I reached in, hit the lock button, and closed the door. I happened to look in and see my keys in the ignition. Damn, well, I will just go and get DW's key to unlock the Sub. As I walk around the other side, I look in and see her purse on her seat. OPPS, her keys are in it. So is the cell phone. I had been hurrying everone, and didn't follow our plan. Down to the office to get help. This happened on Fathers Day night, so I call AAA, and they sent a locksmith the next morning early. Luckily, we didn't need in the vehicle that night. I have learned to take my time, and follow the checklist. I should have known better, being a professional pilot for 50 years.