Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #101

How I damaged my RV

Haven't needed it yet but I have a gate valve at the end with a clear 90 degree elbow and a cap with a hose thread and a ball valve on the end. That way if there is liquid in the line I can drain it into a bucket.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #102

Why don't they make a clear cap?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Why don't they make a clear cap?

after crud from the tanks slosh on it for a few days.... it would not be clear anymore and look really nasty...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #104

And ironically the OUTSIDE of my clear elbow is always dirtier from road grime/mud/roadkill than the INSIDE is....lol...wipe the outside off and its clear as day one....a clear cap would be ok, but half the benefit of the clear elbow is that you can see the state of water draining from tanks.....everyone loves the poo flow show... haha

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
after crud from the tanks slosh on it for a few days.... it would not be clear anymore and look really nasty...
What I was thinking of is a clear cap, but keep valves closed. No sloshing from tanks, but maybe a little liquid that leaks. At least one would know if there's impending trouble.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
What I was thinking of is a clear cap, but keep valves closed. No sloshing from tanks, but maybe a little liquid that leaks. At least one would know if there's impending trouble.
Clear elbow, capped with the valves closed. You can see "impending trouble" and the "poo flow show". Best of both worlds. As you dump you will be thinking "Man, that's an impressive amount of crap!
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I've learned twice now that when the landing gear sounds like its struggling and then sounds like its skipping gears you need to raise the rear landing gear. It has a real tough time trying to lift the whole rig. I've almost driven away with my steps down lots of times but they sit pretty high. I've crushed a wheel chock way worse than the dude in the video. One thing I learned but wasn't my fault: I used to keep the cap on my drain pipe. I was parked for the weekend at this huge party/BBQ festival and went to drain the tanks when I got home (I have hookups at home) I pulled off the cap and got a nailed. Some D***head pulled my black tank valve. Just recently another RV'er pointed out to me that I lost that cap and I explained it to her. She told her husband to go remove their cap right away.
I had to find the source of all the black tank talk.

Stories like this make me really happy that my pull handles are locked up in my basement.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #108

I was outside and told the DW to go ahead and bring the slide in. About 2/3 of the way in, it stops. I walk around and ask if there is a problem.
Tears are starting to roll and she shakes her head yes.
I step up in the trailer and see that the door to the bathroom is now wedged up against the slide and can still hear the wood cracking.
Put the slide back out, close the door and bring it in.
She was so upset with her self that all I could do was go back outside and tell her we can fix it.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #109
Plain Old Member

Never underestimate the power of a slide out. When you want them to work, that's when they fail. When you wish they'd stop, they won't. I got lucky and only came out with minor damage to a cabinet door and hinges. Bad thing is, I was standing within 3 feet of the open door. Didn't take long to let go of that switch when I heard that noise.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #110

I didn't do any damage to our Flagstaff 27RLWS, just my pride. We were returning to the US from our ALCAN trip, and cleared the border north of Bonners Ferry, ID. We stopped at a very nice RV park in Naples, ID. It had been a long day and I didn't follow DW's and my checklist for setting up. I told her to run the slides out while I hooked everything up. She normally hooks the power up, and I level and unhook. We travel with a cat, and she had been in her carrier all day, so I wanted to get her out. I carried her to the TT, as DW had opened the slides. I then proceeded to hook up water, and as I walked by our Suburban, the drivers door was open. I reached in, hit the lock button, and closed the door. I happened to look in and see my keys in the ignition. Damn, well, I will just go and get DW's key to unlock the Sub. As I walk around the other side, I look in and see her purse on her seat. OPPS, her keys are in it. So is the cell phone. I had been hurrying everone, and didn't follow our plan. Down to the office to get help. This happened on Fathers Day night, so I call AAA, and they sent a locksmith the next morning early. Luckily, we didn't need in the vehicle that night. I have learned to take my time, and follow the checklist. I should have known better, being a professional pilot for 50 years.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
I didn't do any damage to our Flagstaff 27RLWS, just my pride. We were returning to the US from our ALCAN trip, and cleared the border north of Bonners Ferry, ID. We stopped at a very nice RV park in Naples, ID. It had been a long day and I didn't follow DW's and my checklist for setting up. I told her to run the slides out while I hooked everything up. She normally hooks the power up, and I level and unhook. We travel with a cat, and she had been in her carrier all day, so I wanted to get her out. I carried her to the TT, as DW had opened the slides. I then proceeded to hook up water, and as I walked by our Suburban, the drivers door was open. I reached in, hit the lock button, and closed the door. I happened to look in and see my keys in the ignition. Damn, well, I will just go and get DW's key to unlock the Sub. As I walk around the other side, I look in and see her purse on her seat. OPPS, her keys are in it. So is the cell phone. I had been hurrying everone, and didn't follow our plan. Down to the office to get help. This happened on Fathers Day night, so I call AAA, and they sent a locksmith the next morning early. Luckily, we didn't need in the vehicle that night. I have learned to take my time, and follow the checklist. I should have known better, being a professional pilot for 50 years.
Ive done that MANY times before....I know many here are anti "bling" junk on cars, but the keypad unlock is one of my FAVORITE!!....now if only it was keyless ignition it would be even better!...

Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #112
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Ive done that MANY times before....I know many here are anti "bling" junk on cars, but the keypad unlock is one of my FAVORITE!!....now if only it was keyless ignition it would be even better!...

"GO ONSTAR!"

Phone call lock or unlock. Went to a ballgame and could not remember if we locked the truck or not. Made a call and they locked it for us without leaving our seats.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #113

Don't even have to call if you have the Onstar app on your phone.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #114

Pulled out of the site....that was tight... just when I said "well that was easy"
see below. Have to say that Toni Koenig at forest river sabre was awesome in helping me get the parts needed for repair. Did the repairs myself and all is well!
oops files upside down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_204958.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	61218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140822_183102.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	61219  
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #115
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Thank You ONSTAR!!! Came out from paying for gas when I saw my two dogs stand on the arm rest of the truck. They locked the truck with it still running. I got lucky, found my IPhone with the ONSTAR app on it. Now I leave them with a window open.

R
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #116
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Thank You ONSTAR!!! Came out from paying for gas when I saw my two dogs stand on the arm rest of the truck. They locked the truck with it still running. I got lucky, found my IPhone with the ONSTAR app on it. Now I leave them with a window open.

R
If you had a Ford you would not need the onstar.
My truck doors will not lock with the truck in park while it is running unless you are using the remote fob.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
My truck doors will not lock with the truck in park while it is running unless you are using the remote fob.

When I had the Mazda with the keyless system, the doors wouldn't lock if the key card was inside the vehicle, unless it was in motion first.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
And I can lock mine with the keypad..keyfob, .and lock the doors from inside wirh it running?....

Have had my daughter lock it while running...my wifes was freaking out, and I was all casual and said...well...just unlock it??...duhhh...lol..I thought it was funny. :-)

Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

The keypad is one feature I really wish I had on this truck. I had it on my last one and loved it. Although.... in the big snowstorm here last Feb my truck was at the dealership, I had DHs camaro. Not good. I bArely made it to the dealership (people down here can't drive in snow!!!!) Tried to get into the truck. Dealership had gone home early and locked the keys in it so I could just pick it up and go using the keypad. Oops, keypad was frozen. Camaro wasn't going to make it home on snowy icy unplowed roads so I got a ride home from a farmer or as I called him, my knight in a shiny white ford. Moral of the story, don't rely on the keypad in a snow storm and don't have your 4wd in the shop during a snowstorm!!!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #120

Guess I can add my one opps so far.

Picking up from the dealer after some minor warranty work. Ran through what I thought was everything in my head with the wife double checking.

Started truck and put her in gear, released parking brake and let off the brakes. No movement. I've only had her for a few weeks this was only my 4th pull or so but I thought for a second something was wrong.

...However, I was in a hurry, the wife was sweaty and ready to go (it was 109 out), we had kids at home waiting for us to get there and make dinner, and to top it all off the service tech was watching. So... I do what most idiot men in my position would do and figured more power would be the solution. Forget putting her back in park and giving her another walk around, I had a gas pedal.

Tapped the gas, moved forward maybe 3" and BOOM, SCRAPE... Service tech just looked at me and pointed to the hitch. I instantly knew what I had done: I left the tongue jack down... Pulled her all of twelve inches but it was enough to bend the inner tube assembly to where it wouldn't retract all the way anymore. It was high enough to get home, but not enough to get into my back yard because of the curb and steep grade so she sat out taking up most of the cul-de-sac until the replacement came in. Thankfully I have no neighbors on that side of the street yet, maybe next time.

I consider myself quite lucky, no damage other than the jack tube. The trailer came with a manual crank that I had the dealer replace with a 3500Lb electric as part of the sale so I basically wrote it off as I would have gotten one anyways. Lower assembly for the 3500Lb was like $15 less than a brand new 4500Lb unit since it qualified for Amazon Prime and the lower assembly didn't so I just bought the 4500. Anyone want a Huskey 3500 with a bent lower tube? Could probably fix it up quite easily. Does not qualify for Amazon Prime though, sorry.

I now have a check list, but we'll see what happens in the future.

In general I'm very careful. I've had to wait more than once for the cars next to me at the pumps to leave so I would have plenty of room to pull through. Always have a spotter when backing, always have my wife double check me (although she missed the tongue jack as well), and try to stick to the ToDo list as much as possible, but hey **** happens.
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote