Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
DH does not believe me that these can be tilted. He is afraid he'll break it.
Hmm, maybe I jumped the gun. So, do you have:

a:

or

b:

If a, then yeah, pull down on the arm (gently) and then tighten the screw.

If b, I'm not sure. I thought they pulled, but I haven't tried one out yet and if he's worried, then maybe I'm wrong.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Box View Post
Forgot to untie the emergency brake cable off the hitch, drove away, noticed the cable with the little plastic thingy and thought... "OMG, the emergency brakes are on, what am i gonna do, can't move the RV like this...." untill a neighboor told me i could just put the pin back in and it would be ok ..... lol

Yeah, i thought it was a "one time use" thingy. lol..
The e-brake breakaway also comes in handy if you have to change a trailer tire when you're disconnected from the TV. Found this out recently with my car trailer, I had my jeep parked in front of it but not connected to anything, and even with two wheels chocked, it kept wanting to roll when I'd jack it up. Pulled the e-brake pin, all 4 wheels locked up, and good to go.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the video guy feels the need to chock his wheels if he parks his rig at a restaurant or truck stop? Like he didn't trust his truck's transmission and parking brake? Someone please enlighten me here...?

Only major oops that I had was with the Salem, first day I had it. Came home from dealer, made a right turn into my driveway, and the drivers side rear overhang clipped my mailbox. Put a nice scrape down the last 3 feet or so of the body. From then on, I made the nearly 2 mile loop around my neighborhood to come at my house from the other side and make a left into my driveway. Never fixed it, it was a reminder to always GOAL!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #33
Jack of All Trades

The Latest Woops

After all these years, you'd think you'd learn.

Hitching up after the Goshen Rally, had DW helping with pulling the chocks. I put the truck in gear and tried to pull forward. Wouldn't move and wheels started to spin. I had the great idea to put it in four wheel drive. With a lot of throttle I got it to move enough to get the chocks out. Tried to back up - wouldn't move. I got out and looked around

I had left the tongue jack down!

Jack tube bent at a nice 45* angle. I had enough tools and a bottle jack to get the foot off the tongue jack, which gave enough clearance to get home. I had to cut the jack tube off to get it out.

I've wanted to get rid of that LCI electric jack anyway. Got a nice Barker VIP 3500 now.

DUH!

Rick

P.S. I'd rather not talk about all the other woopses!
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
The e-brake breakaway also comes in handy if you have to change a trailer tire when you're disconnected from the TV. Found this out recently with my car trailer, I had my jeep parked in front of it but not connected to anything, and even with two wheels chocked, it kept wanting to roll when I'd jack it up. Pulled the e-brake pin, all 4 wheels locked up, and good to go.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the video guy feels the need to chock his wheels if he parks his rig at a restaurant or truck stop? Like he didn't trust his truck's transmission and parking brake? Someone please enlighten me here...?

Only major oops that I had was with the Salem, first day I had it. Came home from dealer, made a right turn into my driveway, and the drivers side rear overhang clipped my mailbox. Put a nice scrape down the last 3 feet or so of the body. From then on, I made the nearly 2 mile loop around my neighborhood to come at my house from the other side and make a left into my driveway. Never fixed it, it was a reminder to always GOAL!

I did this on a another campers trailer once. He did not chock and the trailer started rolling, i ran and pulled the breakaway switch. Stopped the trailer as it dug into the gravel and chocked itself!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Hmm, maybe I jumped the gun. So, do you have:

a:

or

b:

If a, then yeah, pull down on the arm (gently) and then tighten the screw.

If b, I'm not sure. I thought they pulled, but I haven't tried one out yet and if he's worried, then maybe I'm wrong.

We have option A.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #36

With all the recalls of trans cables popping off, or breaking or the fact that many e-brakes can barely hold the car they car connected to- yea chock the wheels.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #37
Site Team

You folks are all train wrecks waiting to happen , oh wait they did happen

Okay, I too ran over a wheel chock and crushed it...But nobody seen it happen, does it count??

On my tracer while installing a door entrance handle I goofed with the drill, and the drill bit went all the way threw to the inside. (Note: use a sharp bit when installing one. )
Here again nobody ever knew, so did it happen??
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #38

My two big goofs:

1. My dad says, "Your trailer tire is up against a small boulder but if you just roll forward up and over you should be fine." So I do it. Snap! Back end of trailer drops down over the boulder and sewer pipe slams into rock! Luckily it broke on the outer edge and the valve stayed closed with some duct tape and bailing wire.

2. Pulled into a tight spot this summer and was too close to the services to put the slide out. Pulled forward and to the right quickly to try and shimmy the trailer over a bit. Looked back to see a geyser. Back end of trailer just clipped the water valve. Blew for half an hour before campground tech found the shutoff valve. The irony: we were on our way home from seeing the real geysers in Yellowstone.

Doh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Brian and his Girl Crew
5 bikes - one top tube
Rig: 2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD + 2009 Salem 27' TT
b_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #39
Plain Old Member

The ones I can think of off the top of my head:
1: Pulled into Hot Springs, AR in the pouring rain, put awning out. Later on that night heard a big crash. Ignored it as I was tired. Went to go out the door the next morning and it would barely open, but I could see the awning fabric. Took a knife and cut my way out. Aggravated, I took a knife and just cut the whole thing off the camper, threw it in the dumpster and went on camping.
2: Same camper, backing into the shop, which during the day, the door opening, even at 12 feet wide and 14 feet tall, appears like a black hole in the mirror. Backed the camper smooth into the perlins inside the shop.
3: Class A. Pulled motorhome out of garage to wash. Washed it. For some reason during the day I had dropped the garage door about 4 feet. Later that day went to put it back in the garage. I couldn't see the door in the mirrors. I realized just how sound proofed that motorhome was. Only thing I saw was my wife waving her arms and screaming. I had no idea what she was yelling about, until I stepped out of the motorhome and saw the garage door folded up on the roof of the motorhome. And wouldn't you believe, after completely removing the garage door tracks and laying a bunch of soft towels all over the roof, I managed to drive the motorhome out and only suffered some scratches in the ladder. I stared at that situation for hours after the fact, trying to figure out how there was almost no damage to the motorhome. The door, well it didn't fair too well.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #40

Some great lessons here to remember.

So far the only thing I've done is blow a tire driving over a survey marker I knew was there but figured I had the right angle, then POP & a bunch of hissing.

TT was just picked up from dealer and backing into the yard.

Couldn't fix the tire!