Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

I first damaged my RV by extending the front landing gear on my 5th wheel while forgetting to retract the rear stabilizers. Heck, I was only gonna extend them an inch or so...
I have raise my tongue jack and front stabilizer just a inch or 2 without lowering my rear stabilizers several time before. I'm gonna be a little more careful in the future. So far so good anywayThanks for the tip

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
What: dimpled the back corner of our 1972 Winnebago Indian with the boat
When: 31 years ago...and we still laugh about it.

My sons (then 3 and 7) and I reached the campground before my wife. We pulled the boat up behind the camper. I was going to back the boat into a spot adjacent to our sight, unhook the boat and then set up the camper. I stood the boys over to the side at a safe distance and told my oldest son to warn me if the boat got close to the camper. I kept backing and backing with no warning from the boys. So I got out and walked around and sure enough the bow of the boat had contacted the back corner of the Winnie and put a dimple in it. When I looked angrily at my oldest son...he just shrugged his shoulders and said oops. Then to add insult to injury, my 3 year old put his hands up to his mouth, giggled really big and said "daddy bent the camper". How could you be mad after that. So, we all had a good laugh, unhooked the boat and set up the camper. And of course the first thing the 3 year did when my wife arrived was run across the campsite yelling "daddy bent the camper". We made good memories in that old Winnie for over 10 years and it still had the dimple in it when we sold it. And we still tell the story around the campfire today...the boys are now 34 and 38.

Moral of the story: Don't trust kid's judgement when backing a boat with and RV...BAHWAHHHHHH
My brother asked me the same question when backing up is car in a parking spot... "Tell me when i hit something..." So, to answer his question as best as i could, when he was doing great, i was like "nope, nope, nope, nope..." he then stops dead, pulls out of the spot, takes another go with a different angle.... hits a post on the side and that's where i screamed, "Ok, you hit something!"

After that, all i remember is.....

a lot of running!

Stephane, computer tech.
2015 Coachmen Clipper 17BH 50th Anniversary.
Fun Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #73

I've learned twice now that when the landing gear sounds like its struggling and then sounds like its skipping gears you need to raise the rear landing gear. It has a real tough time trying to lift the whole rig. I've almost driven away with my steps down lots of times but they sit pretty high. I've crushed a wheel chock way worse than the dude in the video. One thing I learned but wasn't my fault: I used to keep the cap on my drain pipe. I was parked for the weekend at this huge party/BBQ festival and went to drain the tanks when I got home (I have hookups at home) I pulled off the cap and got a nailed. Some D***head pulled my black tank valve. Just recently another RV'er pointed out to me that I lost that cap and I explained it to her. She told her husband to go remove their cap right away.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I've learned twice now that when the landing gear sounds like its struggling and then sounds like its skipping gears you need to raise the rear landing gear. It has a real tough time trying to lift the whole rig. I've almost driven away with my steps down lots of times but they sit pretty high. I've crushed a wheel chock way worse than the dude in the video. One thing I learned but wasn't my fault: I used to keep the cap on my drain pipe. I was parked for the weekend at this huge party/BBQ festival and went to drain the tanks when I got home (I have hookups at home) I pulled off the cap and got a nailed. Some D***head pulled my black tank valve. Just recently another RV'er pointed out to me that I lost that cap and I explained it to her. She told her husband to go remove their cap right away.
Another reason why I leave a clear elbow permenantly attached.....someone could still pull the black I suppose, but id see it first. ...and I like to know when my tanks are done draining...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #75
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Yanked off/mangled cheap window curtain thingy "playing" in bed room

Oh...and ..my dog punched out the screen door to save me from contaminated hot dogs I dropped once..
Check and check.

I'm willing to bet most of the trailers out there have loose window trim in the bedroom, lolol
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #76
Site Team

Closed the awning once with the door assist handle folded over on the track. Snapped the connection right out of the wall track.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #77
Plain Old Member

This has got to be one if my top 5 favorite threads on this forum (thanks Herk). For those that haven't had some of these mishaps, you might be like my dad and have more than one guardian angel with you at all times.

Sent by ME
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #78
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
...I first damaged my RV by extending the front landing gear on my 5th wheel while forgetting to retract the rear stabilizers. Heck, I was only gonna extend them an inch or so...
And as a result of Herk's mishap, youroo's tip at Goshen Rally 2013, FR's replacement of youroo's front stab jacks, I ended up with a set of working stab jacks for in front of my axles. Thanks Lou, Gary and FR. So 2 mishaps had a good ending for TOWTA and me.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
One thing I learned but wasn't my fault: I used to keep the cap on my drain pipe. I was parked for the weekend at this huge party/BBQ festival and went to drain the tanks when I got home (I have hookups at home) I pulled off the cap and got a nailed. Some D***head pulled my black tank valve. Just recently another RV'er pointed out to me that I lost that cap and I explained it to her. She told her husband to go remove their cap right away.
imo, Put your drain cover cap back on because....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #80

Hey Herk, are you going to take this thread and write a screen play for a new RV comedy movie? If so, remember your contributors with some royalty $$$. Great idea for a discussion for sure.

2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote