Old 08-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #81
Lots of things contribute to mistakes....we all make them....but to reduce the impact of making them.....we all should adhere to proper checklists and when distractions come at times when we are doing the checklist....we need to start over and get rid of distraction....example one time when I was unhooking and using unhook checklist, a guy decided he needed to talk right when I was in the middle of it....and got mad that I said I would be glad to chat when I finished unhooking checklist - go chat with DW...
He would not speak to me for the next two weeks in campground....was interesting as most campers do not bother one when they are in middle of task....but have to be strong and not let a distraction, even if ranger as I have told them to standby until I have finished my list.....unseen distractions happen because there is no checklist for those finish the task before you distract yourself.....thinking about something other than the task at hand..... ref : federal parks, small site, 4 wheel rule on downhill site.....ut oh, trying to get 4 wheels on blacktop and put in park and forget you roll back a few inches....bumped the end cap, luckily no damage.....but that was last close one..for me....good luck to all....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #82
Site Team
Man. If only these events were funny at the time they happened. Might save some marriages. Lol

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #83
Site Team
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Man. If only these events were funny at the time they happened. Might save some marriages. Lol
They're always funny, we just fail to see the humor at the time.

Here's to finding the ability to laugh at ourselves!
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #84

After I dropped the fiver on the bed of the truck, I got out, walked back up to the house, and called out to my wife through an open window, "I need a little moral support out here..."

Thankfully, I got it.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #85
While getting ready to clean the tops of my slideouts this am I noticed this:

Not sure when it happened could have been that way when we bought it. It looks like a branch or something rubbed it. I don't remember hittting anything but, who knows. I cleaned it with some acetone and put some caulk on it. We are heading out for a long weekend Friday and I will reinspect it when I get home. I have some eternabond and may end up putting that on it.
2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition
2003 Silverado Duramax 6.6 Dually Longbed 2wd Crew Cab
Nights Camped 2014-51
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #86
Had a funny happen two weeks ago at the CG in Colorado.There were two nice 5er's parked behind us and both couples were retired and had been out for awhile.They left the day before us.One guy got his ready to go and went over to the other one to help him get hooked up.He started his truck and pulled around to hook up.Only thing was he was backing up to the 5er next to him.His buddy called out to him said wrong trailer.The guy looked around and said.Naw I like this one better.I about fell off the picknik table laughing.I think that explained why there was damage to his truck bed from dropping his trailer at some time or other.Some times it's just funny to watch as I'm sure I am too.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #87
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Amen to that!
Ed & Gay
Mini-Schnauzers Dora & Mabel
(Phoebe, in our hearts)
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #88
cogito ergo moo
Not on my camper, but I used to tow my sons High School Marching Band equipment trailer for them. Usually, we kept it at the school, but for some forgotten reason I had to bring it home with me. I decided to park it in the slot between the garage and my shed where I now keep the camper. (see attached picture). My thought was, if I back it into the hole far enough, I won't have to disconnect the truck and I can just go on my way in the morning. So, I'm not too shabby at backing up a trailer. I even managed to back the camper into its hole a couple of times on one shot, but that day, my skills were a touch 'off'.

In the end, the carnage included:

• Downspout knocked off garage
  • 5' of gutter ripped off garage
  • Downspout and gutter hopelessly mangled by being run over with trailer
  • Storage shed knocked off its blocks
  • Fence behind shed pushed over by shed being knocked off its blocks
  • 2 holes torn in skin on trailer loading ramp
  • Tail light on trailer crushed by planter in front of shed
  • License plate torn off trailer
  • Planter in front of shed broken
That was probably me at my worst, and it only took 2 tries and about 5 minutes to do all that. I really coulda used a spotter that day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper spot.png
Views:	196
Size:	652.0 KB
ID:	61035  
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
Temporarily Camperless
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #89
Well two weeks ago I made a right turn into a campground that had a ramp that I should have approached from the other direction. The upshot of the situation was the trailer wheels dropped off the side of the gravel ramp and were suspended in mid air over the end of the culvert and sitting on the axles, the "V" shaped metal on the back to prevent from bottoming out, the rear left corner of the trailer and the step frame.
After two and a half hour in 90* sunshine, jacking and blocking under the frame to get it high enough to block under the wheels, we were finally able to back it out.
Man that first cold beer was delicious.
I filled out a report with the insurance company to have on file in case any issues arise that can be related to this incident.

A hard lesson well learned.
Never enough camping!!
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #90
Originally Posted by codytaylor1624 View Post
Ok this might take a bit.. Just in my defense I'm 26 years old and never purchased/maintained a camper before 2 years ago and I started out with a 09 35' Coachmen Wyoming. So here we go.

Slight miscalculation on turning radius resulting in ruined trim/graphics RIP 1 power pole/countless branches

Unaware of wax requirements causing multiple hours of gel coat reconditioning

Poor judgment on driveway incline resulting in 2 ruined stabilizer jacks

Improper tire rating purchase resulting in 2 blowouts.

Failure to repair trim caulking crack causing rotted wood in basement storage

Too sharp of a turn causing minor damage to corners of front cap fiberglass

7pin replacement x2 for not unplugging when unhooking

Countless yellow Walmart plastic wheel chalks

All in all its a learning experience and the cost to repair your mistakes are the best way to prevent them in the future.. As i said I'm young but I've had all repairs done either myself or professionally and won't be doing them again!
No need to make excuses for your (young) age when you were able to do some of those repairs yourself, accepted those you could not and got them done professionally and didn't give up on camping. I'm impressed.

For wheel chocks, go to Harbor Freight and get their $6.00 heavy duty solid molded rubber chocks. There are gripper teeth molded into the bottom of them so they work well on dirt, gravel, concrete or asphalt. (we learned about those from wmtire)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote