Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #21

Could be tomorrow, could be 30 years from now. I take each day as it comes. Where I work, we lost an employee two years ago. Avid runner, healthy eater, biking, hiking, camping, skiing. Walked in his front door after getting home from work.....and that's as far as he got...32 years old. Massive heart attack with no warning and no symptoms. Yearly physicals showed nothing. We have no clue how long we have, so I take One Day at a Time.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #22

Dying is easy, living is hard.

My trouble is the harm I did to my body when I was young.

Stay active, stay busy and stay away from the TV will slow the inevitable.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
It really depends on your own health. My wife is only 52 and her declining health makes me wonder if we can get in one more full season.
If you both still have your hearts in it, there are always ways to adapt and overcome any obstacle you may face.

I have heard of people buying toy haulers not to haul toys, but because they can use the ramp as a wheelchair/accessibility ramp and set up and store any medical equipment they need. even some towable ice houses are marketed as handicap accessible.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Funny...

Was in Quartzsite, AZ a couple of weeks ago while the RV and Gem show was going on.

While wandering around the lot at LaMesa RV I just couldn't resist going inside a huge motor home with the slashed sale price of $489,999.99 on the windshield.

As I sat in the driver's seat I said to my GF "I never, ever want to drive something this big and bulky down the road!".

A salesman, oddly enough, who had followed us in (imagine that?) heard me say that and replied:

"Sorry, you don't qualify for this as you don't look to be at least 85 years old yet!"

We all had a chuckle...

I'm 58 1/2...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #25
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
If you both still have your hearts in it, there are always ways to adapt and overcome any obstacle you may face.

I have heard of people buying toy haulers not to haul toys, but because they can use the ramp as a wheelchair/accessibility ramp and set up and store any medical equipment they need. even some towable ice houses are marketed as handicap accessible.

I'm not sure it's an expense we can handle especially considering the increasing costs of her care. Our existing trailer and truck are paid off.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #26

how long ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Well I don't know anyone who can predict the future. Case in point, 2 years ago the DW and I were making plans for retirement. Fast forward to today and she is disabled with limited mobility, had a heart attack, and I'm not too far behind her. Health can change suddenly without being predictable.

Don't stress about "how much longer can we..." Just do it and enjoy the time you have. Better to enjoy some time travailing than to have not done so because of concerns and find out later you could have had another 10 or more years enjoyment if you would have just done it.

The rest will work it's self out.
First of all, sorry. I'm 74 and my bride is 68, health is better than I would have thought :-)
I'm fond of saying two things. 1) Man makes plans, God laughs. 2) This is not a rehearsal.

Enjoy it while we can.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #27
code.org

Camping in your 90's

My Mom is 86 and spends 5.5 months each year camping. She has a group of friends that she has met over the years that stay in the same campground every year. They are all in their 80's and two of them are in their 90's.

Yesterday (2-13-19) was General Chuck Yeager's birthday. He turned 96. He posted on Twitter that 96 is the new 60. He still camps and hunts.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
If you want a new trailer ... go for it. I just turned 81 and my wife will be 80. We were travelling all across Canada and the Us until I turned 79 and had a stroke. However we still camped for the summers in Northern Ontario and just last fall bought another 5th wheel. Now, we do not intend to pull it anywhere (too big) but we plan on camping for 6 months each year on a piece of property beside the lake that we have set up to be self sufficient. Therefore... I say buy that new unit and travel when you can. Then if you find you cannot handle the travelling any longer for whatever reason, find a permanent spot and keep on camping... This life helps you stay young.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The DW & I are both 62 so I can't give you 1st hand experience but my Mom & Dad and many relatives and friends camped well into their 80's. We are hopeful to do the same.

I started camping at age 5 so if I can make it another 18 years, that will give me 75 years of enjoying the camping life. Might be time to do something different then... NOT!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #30
Multi-Slacker

One school of thought says buy the new stuff and enjoy life until you drop. My late uncle used to tell me that the objective was to "spend your last dollar on your last breath." Pretty hard to plan that, but I see his point.

I dither about taking on long term obligations at 74 but then truck and trailer are easily sold assets. We will continue to camp as long as we are both able and desirous of so doing.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #31

Since you're shopping, and since the type of rig makes a difference in how long you can continue camping, I'd suggest a small motorhome. Class B or Class C depending on budget.

I'm 70, and I can't picture camping 10 more years in my PUP. It's a lot of hard work. But a small MH would be much easier.

Shop wisely and you'll camp longer.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #32

70 this year

I am 70 this year and am in remission from lymphoma. In remission means “can return at any time ”. I told my wife that we may have 10 years left so I will be retiring next March to hit the road for months at a time instead of weeks. Don’t really know how sound the logic is but that’s the plan.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwilliams2049 View Post
I am 70 this year and am in remission from lymphoma. In remission means “can return at any time ”. I told my wife that we may have 10 years left so I will be retiring next March to hit the road for months at a time instead of weeks. Don’t really know how sound the logic is but that’s the plan.
Sounds totally logical to me. Have a great time.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #34

Go for it - and use it all up and go out with a bang. Or, I guess you can just sit and rot!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #35
jkoenig24

I saw a 90+ year old gent at a Heavy Duty Truck rally a couple of yeas back. He was still going strong.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Since you're shopping, and since the type of rig makes a difference in how long you can continue camping, I'd suggest a small motorhome. Class B or Class C depending on budget.

I'm 70, and I can't picture camping 10 more years in my PUP. It's a lot of hard work. But a small MH would be much easier.

Shop wisely and you'll camp longer.
x 2. We're both about to turn 70. We each had some health issues and started having trouble with our F250 4x4 and fifth wheel. Some minor tune ups and a small motorhome and we're going strong again. Our plan is to buy something on a seasonal site if or when traveling becomes an issue. Hope to be swatting mosquitoes when I draw my final breath!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #37

How Long?...

Here’s the truth...age is just a number. Really. Camp until you don’t want to camp any longer.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #38
bloodybill

great topic
i,m 63 and in the process of buying a brand new vengeance 40 foot fifth wheel toy hauler,
yes i off road s x s power sport machine i have a 2016 polaris xp 1000

i went with the platinum package and a bunch more upgrades being currently installed for long term camping comfort,

i,m a stroke surviver heck my wife even had to teach me how to drive again, and recently widowed from a 42 yr marriage

my wife would not have wanted it any other way,
for me to go explore America

like many have said on here its a state of mind,
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #39

My DW grandmother sold her MH at age 89! She went on trips with other MH traveling friends, Moose members . She drove the rig herself, and did just fine! She was by herself doing this! You never know what is in store, for the future?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmartin67 View Post
We're only 74 years old this year and in fairly robust health. DW asked the other day on a walk, since we're thinking about buying a new trailer, "How much longer do you think we'll be able to do this?" Practical one, she is! I suspect another 10 years at least. What does the Forum opine?
I just looked into my crystal ball, studied the stars and consulted with Eleanor Roosevelt........I just dont' trust the Tarot Cards so I didn't go there...........

The consensus is you have 20 more years to look forward to.