Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #21
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've been planning a long trip ever since I parked the trailer from the last one in July. Off on a roughly 4500+ mile trip starting next Monday. No return date scheduled.

Getting ready, packing clothing for two seasons (temps ranging from 20's-30's to 100), food, general supplies, has been an ongoing project for the last two weeks. Rather than trying to pack in one day like days of old, I've been taking a few items at a time each day. Refrigerator is the last to be loaded.

In the past I used to start out by stacking everything that was to go in the trailer in the dining room or kitchen and then haul it out the day before. Found that I often had more "stuff" than room, took more than was needed, and at the end of packing day I was beat.

Figured this time I'd take some time to organize as I loaded, remove the stuff I haven't needed in the last few trips, and when time to leave just hook up and go after a good nights sleep.

What about the rest of you? Last minute packers or some here and some there over a week or more?

Of course full timers are excluded from this question
The DW likes to leave everything until about an hour before we are due to leave. I hate that but live with it.

For long trips (3 months or so) I start about a week or more before. I remember things as I go along so I need the time to do that. Plus, the preps and checks take a fair amount of time to complete and any fixes or repairs not accounted for will need doing. I check the tires, batteries, water, awning, slideouts, bed coverings, load clothes (aside from what we will be wearing), books, blu-rays, power strips, non-perishable food stuff, and so on.

On the day before, the fridge is turned on, USB stick with my music selection is put in the truck along with my tripod and photographers vest, camera batteries put on charge and camera kit checked. Some general pre-flight checks not done so far are made.

On the day, food goes into the fridge & freezer, truck and jerry cans get filled, the DW's stuff is loaded and camera bags are loaded into the truck (for quick access), Just before I hook up the 5'er, I turn on the 12v line that my rear-facing idiot-catching dashcam plugs into, (it's unbelievable what guys behind us do). I leave pumping up the pinbox airbag until it's all hooked up and the full weight is on the hitch. Do a quick run around, lock the door, pull and store the chocks and off we go.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #22

Our camper is always kept detailed, packed with bedding, towels, and supplies in our RV garage. I turn in the fridge about 3 days ahead. We have toiletries pre-packed ready to carry out. The day before add food, clothes, and go.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #23

Smile Packing up for a long week

We have a 2109S with 4 of us plus the kids often bring a friend so it takes me a day to pack up usually. I usually have hubby bring Mini Pearl home from storae the day before so I can do a quick wipe down inside then pack the food/pantry and clothing. There are many items I keep in the camper like cookware, bathing suits, etc. But obviously I do not keep ANY food/spices so I refer to my menu planning for that.

That being said, we did a test on a weekend trip and I was able to head over to storage in advance to put our clothing in the camper. I only had some basic non fridge items.

Day of, I packed a cooler of the food for the 3 day trip and just put that in the truck. We left and hooked up at the storage facility and left from there. I actually prefer that because then all your neighborhood doesn't know you will be leaving. One thing I hate is seeing the camper in front of the house because I feel like people will obviously know you are leaving.

Lastly, I ALWAYS create a list of what needs to be packed which helps and I cross it off as I go along. I hate having to run out to get something we forget.
AdventuresofMiniPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #24

My hubby keeps his check off list in a $1 frame and uses a wipe off marker so it’s reusable he has a firm surface to write on and can hold up in the rain. Just don’t leave it on the Jeep fender. It can fall off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	187707  
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #25

How long, about 30-40 minutes including going to the store and buying a few days food, and moving that food and some clothes into the camper.

Everything else is already there.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #26

Too long!
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahagirl View Post
My hubby keeps his check off list in a $1 frame and uses a wipe off marker so it’s reusable he has a firm surface to write on and can hold up in the rain. Just don’t leave it on the Jeep fender. It can fall off
Any chance you have the original file for your checklist? Looks like a good place to start and customize as needed.
nozzano22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #28

Having asked the question originally I'm kind of getting the answer fo how long it takes me. Being retired for 15 years I don't need to rush. Plenty of time. Trailers on pad in back yard with power so I've been taking out a bag here and a box there. In total I've spent about 4-5 hoursl but spread over two weeks.

Also have been taking things OUT after deciding they were totally unnecessary.

Leaving Monday so two more days to finish up. Trip will be at least a month but open ended. Will be boondocking for 2/3 the time.

I used to pack in a day but that resulted in both taking too much of some things and not enough of others.

My dog gets totally overjoyed when I take a bag or box out and when he sees the truck isnt backed up to the trailer I get a very dirty look.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #29
Chief tinkerer

A trip of 200 or 2000 miles takes the same 4 hours to get on the road. The plastic collapsible totes (6) get filled and loaded into the car. We load them into the RV and the DW unpacks them while I connect the TOAD and get ready to hit the road

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #30

We keep our moho at home plugged in, stocked and ready to go. When we come home from a trip I clean it and restock everything used. DH does any maintenance that has come up. We only need to grab perishables from the house fridge, bread/bagels, our medications and the dog. Personal record from "idea" to locking the house door is 45 minutes.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #31

Packing for long trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
We keep our camper fully stocked with everything that doesn't go bad. Things like toiletries, canned goods, paper products etc. To go anywhere all we need is a trip to the grocery store for perishables and to pack our clothing. If you give me 4 hours, I can be on the road to anywhere for any length of time.
I agree. Give me 4 hours. Good to go!
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #32

Sadly my TT is in storage 5 miles down the road so luxury of turning things on before I go is not an option. Also, have to close up my condo to survive NE winter and 7 months of absence. This is my first year going from storage and I’m worried about my departure. Envy all of you with rigs parked at home, powered up and pre-packed. Theft hasn’t seemed to be an issue at my public storage lot but not wanting to tempt anyone I’m delaying loading. No parking area at my condo complex for RV’s. Any suggestions/advice?
Soupy2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #33

It’s not an official trip without a trip to Walmart 😊
mmmartin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy2016 View Post
Sadly my TT is in storage 5 miles down the road so luxury of turning things on before I go is not an option. Also, have to close up my condo to survive NE winter and 7 months of absence. This is my first year going from storage and I’m worried about my departure. Envy all of you with rigs parked at home, powered up and pre-packed. Theft hasn’t seemed to be an issue at my public storage lot but not wanting to tempt anyone I’m delaying loading. No parking area at my condo complex for RV’s. Any suggestions/advice?
If theft is not an issue and there is nothing valuable to steal, I would not lock it. The thieves will only break in anyway and by not locking it you have no damage to repair should a thief show up.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #35

Long trip

For every camper it means something different.
So for us she keeps the motor home packed with necessary stuff at all times. Our trips can be anywhere from a weekend to 3to 4 months. We look at it like it's a second home. 38 ft Georgetown gt5 2017. Have had it 4 months and put 8,000 miles on her. So trips require thought but if ya can leave things like pots pans dishes silverware coffee maker paper products.
I always would see old guys driving the largest rigs and thought only they can afford these.monsters. Truth is they are the only ones who have the time to use them if they are healthy ENOUGH. Been retired from my business and can travel when ever we wish.
Pat wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #36
bmax

Same as above comments. Parked next to the house so pretty much ready to go. We stay at Walmart where they allow and it fits our schedule. Always restock when we are there.

We traveled 3 months, 1100 miles to Alaska a few years back. Things we are particular about brands I made sure to have enough - coffee, TP, dog food, etc.
bobjeanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #37

I’m not brave enough to leave it unlocked, DR! Did 18 months full time, 25,000 miles, 2016-18 so am pretty clear on what I really need and don’t. Have learned how to improvise and overcome! And shop the local WalMart or Goodwill. 1st day out in ‘16 didn’t get on road til 3pm...drove 50 miles on snowy day and stayed at hotel!
Soupy2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin33 View Post
It’s not an official trip without a trip to Walmart ��
That's our saying exactly. We know we're camped when we hit the Wally World for all of the things we need or forgot. We pack over a longer period, but that's because we go from dry camping in the mountains, to beach camping at the RV park. Don't need the solar panels, and the stove top coffee pot with the hookups. We switch our recliners to foldup light weight beach chairs that we can carry out to the sand. We also take toys such as metal detector and kites to the beach that we don't use in the mountains. We also take wifi signal boosters, and laptops etc. when we have campground wifi, where we use our phones pretty much all of the time in the mountains. And of course whatever we forget we can find at Wally World.
Oh yeah, Goodwill or Arc or any local Thrift store can be a great source for items forgotten.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #39

We have always kept our RVs reading to travel except for perishables and weather specific clothes. At best it takes an hour or so only because of our age and the RV is down and then up some stairs.
Bojomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #40

Just got back from 5000 miles including Yellowstone and Death Valley. We packed in a day. We buy most of our food on the road as we talk about what we did not have available and what we want. We put some clothes in drawers and the rest in back packs we store. We have th rv checklist that helps it go fast. It is all different for all people. We choose to throw it in and go from there.

By the way it was 3 weeks and all was fine.
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote