Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #41

Like most of the rest of you, we used to do a two or three week trip once a year and then fill in with some regular and long weekends. We really only have 6 months of "good" camping where we are unless you like camping in the snow. Last year was our first " big" year of camping after I retired two years ago. We did a 3 month trip from where we live to the Arctic Ocean at Deadhorse return as well as a lot of side trips in AK and YT. Trip of a lifetime. This year is more " local". Did a two week trip on the Oregon coast, have three weeks booked in the interior and a month on Vancouver Island for September. So lots of camping but all within 6 hours of home. We are in the midst of planning 2017 ( all being well). It will be a three month trip to Canadian east coast, Newfoundland and New England states at least as far as Martha's Vineyard and the Cape. Our winter plan is February and March somewhere warm in the desert but realizing a lot of it is already booked now 6 months from when we will be going so still working on that one. Sorry to ramble one. I guess what I'm saying , get as many nights a year in as you can and look forward to retirement when you will be able to really stretch it out. As others have pointed out, the nice thing is that our "weekend" trips are now Monday to Thursday.😊 Head home on Thursday AM before the weekend craziness starts.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #42

^^^^ only 46 nights in 2016 so far. We leave June, July, and August to those with school age kids. Rarely stay close to home. Rarely leave for less than a week. Will hit 100+ this year.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #43

We do as many 4 day trips as possible. A friend and I take our campers out on Friday and our husbands join us on Saturday. We stay until Monday. I live in Central Oregon, and we have many campgrounds within a hour drive. We went on a week long trip in 2014, but last year we used up our vacation time on a cruise. We leave in mid July for our longest trip yet - 9 days to go to Yellowstone with our youngest (16 years) and one of his friends. I can't wait until we can travel for months at a time.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #44

We take several weekend trips throughout the spring and summer. Taking one longer trip 7 to 10 days late summer. Plan on doing it that way till the kids are tired of it
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks View Post
We take several weekend trips throughout the spring and summer. Taking one longer trip 7 to 10 days late summer. Plan on doing it that way till the kids are tired of it
When our daughters were young we found a KOA about an hour from home and spent many weekends there as other families with children did as well and friends were made. My wife and girls loved the beach so 1 Friday I'd make the 12 hour trip to NORTH Myrtle Beach and set them up ~ we had friends that stayed at Holiday Travel Park (now Myrtle Beach Travel Park) all summer. Sunday afternoon I'd drive home to work the week and drive down again Friday after work and stay with them a week before driving back Sunday afternoon. Often did that twice a summer so they could spend 4 weeks on the beach.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #46

Retired Feb 2014 and haven't looked back. We like to do one big trip per year 5-8 weeks duration. We're trying to show our three teenagers the things we saw growing up. Additionally, we like to see those things none of us have seen...that list is endless. Other times of the year we take five or six 10-12 day trips. I usually get the itch to start prepping for another trip as soon as we get home. I love our 2015 GT 364 and thankfully have a wife that loves camping also.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #47

We did a one month last year and a 4 month this year. We also do 5 - 10 day trips and like to travel during the week avoiding weekends.
tjasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #48

W/ the kids we have always been worried to stay more than a few days but we just finished our 1st 10 day & honestly could have stayed another week easily - we all wish we could have! Seems like after 2 days everyone gets in camper mode & used to it & then were good. Flows smoother after that & we relax... I have noticed it also depends on the campground, naturally if its not pleasant then we don't stay long & are happier about heading home. Seems like short 2 day / one night trips are sometimes more trouble than they are worth.
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #49

Agree... If you can, more that a couple days makes a big difference! Takes some set up and wind down time! Looking forward to some of our longer trips later in the summer!! Know one thing.. We always hate packing up to come home... No matter how long the trip😁
Old 07-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #50
Georgetown 280

How Long

We purchased our rig after retirement and have been taking 3-4 week long trips. We also do 3-5 day short trips nearer to home. We will be leaving next week and be gone for 5 weeks, going to visit relatives in the MidWest then taking Highway 90 to Couerd'Alene where we will spend a week with friends and head home from there. When we bought our MH, I made a promise that it would be used to the fullest extent possible and we would travel while we are still mobile and healthy.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #51

We're retired and spend 3 to 4 months in Arizona during the winter. When we get back home (Victoria BC) we take short trips up to 4 or 5 days, go to a few horseshoe tournaments on the Island and then in December head back to Mesa.
What a life!
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut_un View Post
For those that are not full timers, how long do you guys stay out? Wife and I usually plan (local instate camping trips) to be 4-6 days. Being retired I tend to like to come in mid week, stay they the weekend and then allow all the weekenders the chance to clear out and again, have the place to ourselves! Hoping , at some point to do a 2-3 week camp... A road trip with a big loop! How bout you guys??
We typically do one full week somewhere like the beach or mountains (6-7 nights) and then several "weekenders" that range between 2-3 full days parked. Our general rule of thumb distance wise is 2 hours or less or 2 states or less whether it's the weekenders or the full week with a target of 30 nights a year. This year we shook it up with a 17 night road trip to Yellowstone and back at 4400 miles. It was a great milestone trip but not something we would do yearly with work schedules etc., or that the kids would tolerate yearly

Hoping to do another long one in '18 down through the FLA keys and back. Happy travels!
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #53

We do several short trips during the year (1 - 2 weeks) then usually a 2 month trip in the summer. getting ready to leave tomorrow for the long summer trip.
capbice is offline   Reply With Quote