Old 12-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

How long to get your title from another state

Purchased trailer from Indiana, I am in Va.
For those that purchased out of state how long before you got the title?
I need it to register in my state.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How long to get your title from another state

Did you finance? If so it possibly went directly to the lender.
In my case it went directly to my county courthouse.

Otherwise you should get it upon completion of paperwork @ the dealer in a cash situation.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"

Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

I live in Kansas ... bought and financed fiver in Missouri. Title was signed and handed over with the paperwork. I wouldn't have left the dealership without it or I wouldn't have been able to title it in Kansas. At our tag offices when we finance units ... once initialy sent in, the State keeps the title till paid for then sends it to the owner.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

I bought mine in Michigan new. Dealer gave me a 30 day temporary registration. Then mailed me the rest of the paper work. It had a manufacturers document (don't remember what they called it) but I had to take that to DMV in NY and they turned that into a title.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

I live in Indiana but bought mine in OH. I went to the BMV on like the 18th, and they told me it would take about 2 weeks, but could be longer with it being the holidays and mail taking slower.

Just had to get the trailer VIN checked out by a Cop or BMV employee and wait on the paperwork to come in.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

I bought ours in Wisconsin and I live in Illinois and it took 6 weeks and a frustrated phone call from me to get it mailed overnight so I could get it titled and license plates.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
I bought mine in Michigan new. Dealer gave me a 30 day temporary registration. Then mailed me the rest of the paper work. It had a manufacturers document (don't remember what they called it) but I had to take that to DMV in NY and they turned that into a title.
It's called "Certificate of Origin".
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Took about 4 weeks for mine to arrive then had to go to dmv pay state taxes get changed to my state and my name get tags about the time my 30 day tags expired
Old 12-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

We got the best deal in Boise Idaho, had "certificate of origin" called California DMV, could not just mail in for registration. Had to make appointment, wait a week, drive down to have the VIN number "approved" and trlr measured (all of that info was on cert.) DMV lady came to trailer and asked me if it should be measured from wheel centers? Duh, convinced her to measure total length, guess what just like the cert. of orig. Three weeks later pocketbook lighter we were registered.
Burk
Old 12-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Thumbs up

I found my TT new online in KY.

I went to my IL credit union and hooked them up with the dealer in KY for the arrangements.

After those two got it together, my credit union gave me a temporary tag and paper work to take to the KY dealer. I would be titling in IL and not pay anything to KY.

After doing the PDI with the dealer, I gave the dealer the credit union paperwork, and got papers to take to my credit union, and towed the TT home.

After 30 days I contacted my credit union and asked where my actual plate was. Now, the credit union goes into a panic and 10 days later asked me if I got any additional paperwork from the dealer.

I found among a lot of dealer feel good mail and advertisements, I got a personal thank you letter from the saleswoman that contained a "certificate of origin" that I dismissed as it looked like something that just proved FR make the thing.

Two days short of my temporary tag expiring, my real plate arrived. The dealer was only a year plus old and fumbled a bit. No big deal, it all worked out and was a very simple process, less the title snafu. Still good feeling with all involved.

Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote