Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #81

Last trip to Middlebury was 1200 miles one way, so I split it into 400/day. That is about average. Sometimes more if I am trying to avoid bad weather up north. I traveled 500 the first day on the way back.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:16 AM   #82
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Wife and I usually trade off so one sleeps in the back seat while we drive. We use portable waste collectors so we only have to stop for fuel and thankfully our 100 gal tank in the truck bed lets us do an easy 1000 between fills. We try to keep our speed at 75 but on flat uncrowded interstates we like to push to 85. With our kids living in Seattle, San Diego, Key West and Maine its a little tough seeing all of them Christmas week, but we make it somehow. Keeping ourselves to no more than 1500 miles a day it can take almost 2 days to do the Seattle to Key West drive. Thankfully Spring break is over and we can relax on this beautiful first Friday in April And plan our weekend drive up to Alaska.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:46 AM   #83
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Wife and I usually trade off so one sleeps in the back seat while we drive. We use portable waste collectors so we only have to stop for fuel and thankfully our 100 gal tank in the truck bed lets us do an easy 1000 between fills. We try to keep our speed at 75 but on flat uncrowded interstates we like to push to 85. With our kids living in Seattle, San Diego, Key West and Maine its a little tough seeing all of them Christmas week, but we make it somehow. Keeping ourselves to no more than 1500 miles a day it can take almost 2 days to do the Seattle to Key West drive. Thankfully Spring break is over and we can relax on this beautiful first Friday in April And plan our weekend drive up to Alaska.

Good one! That should get some hearts racing!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #84

Quote:

That how we roll too. Just haven't done the Alaska trip yet. May get around to that soon.

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #85

The first day of travel we are hooked up and ready to go so we leave about 6 or 7 in the morning and drive to 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Each day after that we try to be on the road between 8 and 9 in morning and off the road by 4 or 5 in the afternoon. mileage will vary depend on roads, weather, and sightseeing.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #86

Quote:
Good Lord! That's hilarious
Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
The first day of travel we are hooked up and ready to go so we leave about 6 or 7 in the morning and drive to 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Each day after that we try to be on the road between 8 and 9 in morning and off the road by 4 or 5 in the afternoon. mileage will vary depend on roads, weather, and sightseeing.
Very sensible. Avoid rush hour traffic and driving at night. Although, after living in Houston most of my adult life, out of state traffic seems rather sedate in most cities.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #88

We travel because we want to see what's to be seen and meet who is ever to be met. This person can't do that zipping down the Interstate at 65+. All our life has been a rush to meet some time table. We slow down to 55 which a very comfortable speed and try to stay off the interstate. We travel 200 to 250 miles a day depending on what there is to see along the way. When we stop for whatever, we ask the locals what is interesting in that area to see. Whenever we committed to a time of arrival at some destination we find we miss things or people we would like to spend more time with and we know we probably won't be back that way again.
In short, we take time to enjoy the journey at a relaxed pace.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #89

We have been on a tight schedule before and it's not a fun way to camp. Now we plan to stay off the Interstate as much as possible, take the back roads. We are planning on a trip to Alaska this year and we are making no reservations this year. I am tired of driving for to long each day and too fast, we plan on taking it easy from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #90

towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Curious to see how many miles most of you drive when traveling on an RV trip to a destination? Do you do a marathon 600 or more miles a day? How fast do you tow?

Thanks in advance.
We do anywhere from 500 to 600 a day...I did 700 one time and not doing that again...But I do not pull something to big....MPH? 65-70
Attached Images

Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

X2

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #92

We generally tow around 3hr a day. Being 6'6" tall there are no trucks I can be really comfortable in so the older I get the less time I can stand to be in the one position that I have to sit in. It sucks being tall.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themeads46 View Post
We generally tow around 3hr a day. Being 6'6" tall there are no trucks I can be really comfortable in so the older I get the less time I can stand to be in the one position that I have to sit in. It sucks being tall.
Amen brother. I'm 6'3" and couldn't imagine being taller. I tell people all the time I'd trade heights with them in a moment and no one believes me.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #94

No guys, it was a bit_h in high school but at some point in my life, I decided being tall was a good thing. Now being left handed, I do wish I could change that. ha
Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #95

Call me the planner

I normally plan a trip for somewhere around 200-300 miles per day and almost exclusively stay at KOA's with a reservation made ahead. This way I know about how long it will take for the trip and that we indeed have a place to stay at least overnight. Some trips including this one (2 weeks from MD to Western TN and back) we stayed more than 1 night, just depended on the schedule and where I wanted to be on a certain day. Even if we stay at a State Park I make a reservation so I know we have the spot I want (Example-Reelfoot TN SP only has 2 sites with full hookups and we were going to be there 3 nights).

I normally have a TOAD but this trip a UHaul trailer for some furniture that we took to my daughter in TN. I have a 3010DS Sunseeker Class C and get around 8ish with a 50 gal tank towing. I normally fuel up at a half tank or a bit less thus around 200 miles (4 hours or so) since the pups are ready for a stretch and a walk. My wife loves the moving bathroom (so do I ) and I just try not to bounce her around too much! Happy wife happy life....

I am retired but my wife still works and is planning on being retired next year and then we will full-time it and I am hoping to not to have to do as much planning, take more time and do more or less than 200 miles a day.

Life is about the journey, not the destination....
Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #96

We never make reservations along the way, we just try to stop around 4 a clock. If we make 300 miles or 500 miles or whatever. On our trip to Alaska this year we plan on stopping in Yellowstone and since we have done this trip to Yellowstone a few times we make make some big miles. We never stop at truck stops so we can drive big miles if we like, I'm 6ft4in and I enjoy driving. It's whatever you are comfortable with as far as how many miles you drive.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themeads46 View Post
You need to get a 40 foot Class "A" diesel pusher then head room wouldn't be a issue.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #98
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Curious to see how many miles most of you drive when traveling on an RV trip to a destination? Do you do a marathon 600 or more miles a day? How fast do you tow?

Thanks in advance.
Murrell's Inlet in SC is just a touch over 600 miles away, so I do that in one shot. I generally leave about 4 AM to avoid rush hour traffic and drive 60 to 65 mph on the highway. We stop along the way to take breaks and visit anything that looks interesting. It usually takes nine or ten hours to get there.
Oklahoma is just over 1025 miles, so I generally stop as a rest stop on the western side of St. Louis because that's about half way. On the way back, of course, I stop on the eastern side of St. Louis.
We both still have jobs, so can't always "get there when we get there", but I try to schedule enough time to allow plenty of stops along the way to see the sights or take a nap so we don't feel like we are in a race.
The next time I retire, we will be travelling much further afield to visit whatever strikes our fancy with no time limits imposed.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #99
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
No guys, it was a bit_h in high school but at some point in my life, I decided being tall was a good thing. Now being left handed, I do wish I could change that. ha
I'm only 6'4" and left handed. Never had a problem with either, really. Just wish I was young and skinny again!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #100

I would not mind being skinny again as I'm always on a diet but don't want to be young again, I do anything I want to do now and finally have the time to do it. For the first time in my life I can say I'm LAZY and proud of it. If I want to drive 600 miles in a day and then stop for a week then I can but mostly do all the things I couldn't do when I was younger. I enjoy driving and seeing what's around the next curve in the road, if DW had to drive we would stay home. I guess it's the Indian in me but I like to go, I don't like to stay in one place to long. Now it's time to have a nap but first I have to think about it some, time for another beer or maybe a glass of wine. I'm ready for another trip