Old 08-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Watched a guy try to squeeze into a tight spot from a narrow road at Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone NP. After 30 minutes of everyone helping he gave up. His lady hopped in the truck and slipped it in on the first pass. The men shook their heads, the women wore smiles and the guy popped a beer before he even unhitched. We all have those days. And.... We've all given trailer backing lessons to newbies.

Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #12
LOL been there done that, 42' 5er can be tough sometimes.

2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
I never learned how to back mine in until the first time I went out without DW (She joined me later because she was working). Usually she was the spotter and I just did as she would tell me (such is life). Even then it took three or for or ten tries sometimes to get in a spot, often times feeling like I was the entertainment for the CG.

So as I drive to the CG that evening all I could think was how in the H was I going to do it without her and how fun it was going to be for the people around me. When I showed up and found my site (looked easy on the map if it were to scale) would be a challenge for a pro I about left. The only reason I tried was because the guy next to me suggested I jack knife it in like he did. I had never tried this before but understood the concept. So I tried it and felt like a a pro, I got in on one try and only had to get out to see how far back I needed to go (I need a backup cam on trailer now).

Now every time we go out I have my wife stay in so she is not tempted to take us back to our old ways of getting it in. Heck the jack knife solution even works to get it into out tight spot in between to HUGE 5ers at our storage lot including when she is not able to be there.

May not work for everyone but I have become a jack knifing pro and it is about the only way I back in now. Some people look at me funny when I start but are quick to point out how easy I make it look when I hit it on the first try.
14 PT Avenger ATI 27BBS
09 Nissan Armada
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #14
With my first camper, an 8 foot single axle popup, I would pull up next to the site, unhitch, and shove the thing in by hand.

That little trailer reacted SO fast and would jack-knife on a dime.

Our bigger trailers were so much easier to back in! I can get our 33'' TT into just about anything these days, even with someone waiting on me to get by.
2012 Ford F-150 3.7L V6 -- SOLD
2007 Rockwood 1640 LTD Popup -- SOLD
2004 Bantam 19 HTT -- SOLD
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #15
Were only allowed 2 tries in Saskatchewan, then they kick us out!! Lol
kholmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Originally Posted by kholmes View Post
Were only allowed 2 tries in Saskatchewan, then they kick us out!! Lol
And that is with pull -thru's!
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #17
I had to laugh at your predicament but only because it reminded me of when I bought a 30 ft SeaRay boat that was docked at Lake Erie near Sandusky, OH. This had a single screw and as I found out it was quite hard to maneuver. I backed the baby out and ended up going around in circles. All the boat owners around were either sitting there with cocktails in hand laughing or standing out on the edge of the boat trying to ward off me hitting them. Needless to say it was a bit embarrassing. Took me a while to learn how to dock the darn thing but usually there was someone around to help when u came in. That always helps

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
All about length and turning radius.... and when the park was built.

One of the CG's I stay at was built back when there was no such thing as a slide out and crew cab pickups were rare. They have a few 45 degree spots that are easy, and the rest are 90 degree or pull through loops. The 90 degree ones are tough because the road is only about 10 feet wide and they put concrete curbs at all the site entrances. The pull through loops are really small and they have curbs the entire length of the driveway. With my CCSB pickup and 26' trailer I almost always have to jump a curb to get in or out of the site. The guys with big trailers do some serious curb jumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #19
BFR (before Forest River), we were going to our first rally with our newcTT. One of the campers asked our site number so they would all get their lawn chairs out and watch us back in. My response was:

A. I've been backing trailers for years, and
B. We have a pull through spot.

Party over.
coupevillefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
People have such a good time and a good laugh watching me back in that I am now charging for the entertainment.

Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote