Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #51
We have only had one really difficult place to park, in Peoria, AZ, completely wide open, just a couple trees. Don't know what it is except for the people who lead us to the spot trying to give instructions vs. how I see it. Maybe I'll just have a beer and a break before I try it again next year!

Chappy and Liz
Dripping Springs, TX
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #52
backing trailer in

My wife and I can rember our first time backing a 5th in a campsite, it provided a afternoon entertainment for the other campers. One camper knowing that we are new to backing a 5th came over and helped us to park.

kuhntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #53
LOL...years ago, I was trying to back a boat trailer down a ramp. Really cussing. Then an old guy came over and said, "just grip the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it in the direction you want the boat to go." Bingo! Three times I have quietly passed on this info in campgrounds and seen the amazement when it worked. Love the old guys and gals who help us when we look stupid.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #54
I had a little fun backing into our site this weekend at Stone Mountain. Had the guy across the street come out yelling at me that my tire was on the grass instead of the gravel. His car was half way into the road and I was trying to avoid it by cutting short. I asked him if he preferred me hitting his car rather than cutting the corner and being in a foot of grass. He didn't appreciate the sarcasm. It's not easy with a bumper pull TH that's 37ft long getting in those tight spots.

In 2 weeks it will be the first trip to Bristol with this trailer. We have 3 spots but they are halfway back in the parking lot. Going to need a whole lot of patience backing it way up in there. Last year we still had our 21ft TT. I have a feeling the TH is going to be a whole different animal.
2015 XLR Nitro 30FQSL
2015 F250 King Ranch
oldgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #55
I use blue tooth and good directions from my wife. She used to back trailers for her x fatherinlaw. She knows which way to turn the wheels and gives good directions.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #56

I feel your pain. 5 years ago we started with a 31ft bumper pull. We DUMBLY pulled it through the MOUNTAINS of N Georgia to an RV Show in Louisville, KY ( and back ).
We bought a 36 ft Keystone, 5er, triple slide at the show model price.
No truck! Had it delivered to N GA.
On the way home coming with the pull behind, came down the mountains and discovered trailer brakes were NOT WORKING! Ugh!! Panic, Ohhh, HELL YES!! Pulled off and checked and found connection cord fell out, dragging and TOTALLY DESTROYED!
Found an RV dealer, ( via Smart Phone) 50 miles away willing to repair us. Made it there and waited 9 hours and we were on our way. There was a Hampton Inn right near so we had a back up plan if necessary.
Dealer was absolutely the best in a stressful situation. It was a Saturday and main tech was OFF. He said he would never
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #57
Finish of story; would never KNOWINGLY sent us down the mountain any further!! ��
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #58
My wife and I use walkie talkies. I have her hold the button the whole time so she doesn't forget to push it. . She is only out there making sure I don't hit anything or anyone. Once I'm actually in the site. I get out and look. Then inform her as to where and how I want the trailer positioned. Practice makes perfect. I've parking trailers since before I had my License. We all still make mistakes at times. I always stick to the simple rule. "Only go as fast as you are willing to hit something".
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:11 AM   #59
Yeah..we use wife is notorious for talking and pushing at the same time. ..then blaming me for not hearing...hahah...but it works...funny thing is even if I let her guide me in, I still end up moving to get it "right"
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 AM   #60
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
We tried walkie talkies once. I gave her the one with no batteries and I backed it right in first try. Worked great!

*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote