Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
not much beats watching people back in to an almost impossible site. As long as it's not me of course!
X2 ,great free entertainment

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #22
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
People have such a good time and a good laugh watching me back in that I am now charging for the entertainment.
There again, it was a pull-thru.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #23
Dryflycaster

Hey it's not a contest ! Take as many tries as necessary to get your rig into position.

Last year at a NYS Site we stayed at, I backed in perfectly with one try but when it came time to leave that was another story. It probably took be 6 or 8 tries to get the damn thing out of there without scraping up the trees and the camper. I managed to gather quite a crowd before it was all done and I was able to be on my way.

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #24
I Break Everything

I think we've all been there. My top horrors were Sequoia National Park, Fort Wilderness and Yellow Stone Fishing Bridge.

It wasn't the fact they were super difficult, but we usually arrive later afternoon to all our campsites and those three had snug fits. Cars all around, extra cars parked here and there. Disney was the worst for cars everywhere. Not a lot of space on the roads and if a group is in the parks there is no one to move their car.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #25

Try this one. Road was about 1 1/2 cars wide and you had to pull just over the speed bump going up a steep hill to start the back up. Then if you were not far enough over, your TV would need to go over a RR tie and into a small drop off and some ground cover. If you are fortunate enough to get things in far enough, you can them pull across the road into another RV site (if they are not there and parked in it) so you can straighten up. All the while, people are lined up waiting to get by you so they can get to their sites where they are already set up. Of course the coast was clear until you started to back up, hit the drop off and could not pull forward again. And you are alone, with no one to help you miss the drop off in your RV site which is on the outside driver side so it is difficult to see during backing up. You got to love it.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #26

I can tell fort wilderness is the worst place we have camped at. My sister loves that place so we agreed to meet them there a few years ago over labor day week. We still had our 2005 Eagle TT that was 35' long. The campground was real full and the site we got was very tight with a lot of trees. I am towing with a 2010 Ram megacab so this makes matters worse. I tell my wife to watch a tree that is crowding road as I have to get close to have room to swing. BIG MISTAKE as wife goes behind me where I can't see or hear her. I will let the pics tell the rest. Click image for larger version

Name:	Carols pics 281.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	85102 Click image for larger version

Name:	Carols pics 283.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	85103 Click image for larger version

Name:	Carols pics 287.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	85104
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #27

Believe it or not I let my sister talk us into another trip to Fort Wilderness. We will be heading down with our 38' wildcat 5er. I am not looking forward to it but love my sister so. The good part is we have learned to use the cell phones to communicate when parking. It is still tough because men and women speak different language thats for damn sure. We still have to hope dealer gets done with warranty work for the fourth time. Wish us luck with our adventure to the happiest place on earth
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #28

G.O.A.L!

When things are tight G.OA.L. is the way to roll.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #29
Always Learning

For Fort Wilderness, there is an app by Fort Fiends that has all of the sites and a "back in difficulty" indicator. Check it when you check in and ask for a different site if it doesn't suit you.

I don't know of anywhere in the campground that would require fully leaving the park and coming back in.

And yes, it can be tricky there! I came within inches of a recycling container to get in last year. I knew it was there and watched it; but still a crappy spot for it.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #30

My worst nightmare is when I get it backed in or even pulled in and parked ready to level it and the wife says "can you move it over a couple of inches?" CRAP! So I maneuver it around get out and ask her if it's ok and she says "you just put back in the same spot!" DOUBLE CRAP! Did I tell you I love my wife!
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #31

Here's a weird fact. Everyone I talk to, no matter how hard the site is to get into, gets it on their LAST try. Think of that.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #32
Always Learning

The last campground we were at, we had a tree in the back corner. Sure enough, we backed up far enough that the slide hit it as we were putting it out.

That was after we leveled, hooked up electric, water, sewer, tightened the SteadyFast stabilizers, you know- everything outside. I was so annoyed. We literally had to move forward less than 2".
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #33

story of my life.....with new rig it took me 15 min to back it in (and Im pretty good at this stuff!!)

got it in and looking pretty, then wife says "oh ....the steps wont come out there is a post"....get in move trailer....wife says "oh ....the slide is gonna hit the electric"..move AGAIN....wife says yay....I love it...perfect...

go to activate the level up and SIX hydraulic jacks...the back two are hanging off the pad over a giant dip....

big sigh.....try to calmly explain to her what is needed to actually set up trailer...she gets mad...LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #34
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The last campground we were at, we had a tree in the back corner. Sure enough, we backed up far enough that the slide hit it as we were putting it out.
Quick note* On my fence post storage MOD trough for the sewer hose, I have it marked so I know how far the slide comes out.

Our last trip to Ft. Wilderness as I was backing it in I had to swing the nose to the right hard. I was going slow and then it wouldn't move. I ask my wife, am I hitting anything? With a reply NO, she starts waving her arms. I get out and observe the right front tire is against that darn brown square post and almost had it laid over. Thank goodness it didn't touch the body and there was no damage to the truck or aluminum dually wheel.

The only other time is down in Cape May, NJ @ Beachcomber. They had us in a site that faced cabins. There is split rail fence everywhere. In front, back, and all sides. After 20 minutes I got it in there. I felt like Austin Powers in the hallway on the golf car (movie reference).
Then a family came in next to us with a tag along. Next I checked he got it in there but the fence suffered. Dearly.
So, the next morning I tell the front desk of what I thought of the fence. The woman responds, " Oh the posts just lift right out. You should of told us and maintenance could of took it down." I had to just walk out. I respect my elders and had nothing nice to say after that.
But really, you couldn't tell me or anyone else that when checked in?!

Sorry so long but I feel better now.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #35
Always Learning

The post reminds me of one of my early parkings at Monte Sano in Alabama. To this day, I still don't know how I had the truck cocked in order to hit it, but I sure did!

There's a place in Indiana (Twin Mills in Howe), that the site markers are removable. Their horribly placed- I wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't move it, so I did.

Marking your fence post gutter for the slide is a great idea!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #36

I had trouble with my new 35 footer and a x truck driver offered to help. 1 try and it was in.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #37

Ok
Time to get FLAMED by the better half's here! LOL
The WORST thing I can do is ask my better half to help me.
After three motor homes, two pull behinds and now our 5er, she still doesn't quite get it that if she can't see my mirrors, I CAN'T SEE HER TELLING ME TO STOP!. We tried the walkie talkie's but she seems to not remember to push the button till AFTER I hit something. LOL
She wants to help me so bad, but I have learned after 20 years to just leave my door open and jump out and check myself.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Ok
Time to get FLAMED by the better half's here! LOL
The WORST thing I can do is ask my better half to help me.
After three motor homes, two pull behinds and now our 5er, she still doesn't quite get it that if she can't see my mirrors, I CAN'T SEE HER TELLING ME TO STOP!. We tried the walkie talkie's but she seems to not remember to push the button till AFTER I hit something. LOL
She wants to help me so bad, but I have learned after 20 years to just leave my door open and jump out and check myself.
True that. I have not crashed yet, but I love the thumbs up DW gives me when all is good while behind TT out of mirror sight. She always asks why I stop and come back to look.

I share your joy. Safe travels and parking...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #39

You know, parking your motorhome or travel trailer is kinda like docking your boat, no one is around when you do it perfect the first time. But the crowd shows up when things are not going well. Just remember everyone has been there. You just have to laugh about it and scratch your head then move on. Half the fun is just getting there. Then again some campgrounds try to use every inch of space , that can make things a little tight.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #40

Years ago I used to take the family to Morain campground Rocky Mountain national Park. Many of the sites were back in and very steep. We once watched a family with a pop up and a van trying to back into a spot. It was very steep and by the time they finally got it into the spot their transmission had burned up. Monday morning came and the wrecker towed their van away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote