Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

How many WH electric elements...

So I'm on my 3rd electric water heater element over the last 2 seasons. I have about given up. Who else is a dumb idiot like me???

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

The trick, if you want to call it that, to get long life out of a Cal-Rod heating element in an RV water heater is making sure at all times there is no air space in the tank.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Site Team

I still have the original one in my 2007 HTT.
Probably helps that we rarely camp with hookups so the WH runs on propane 90% of the time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

It's just like a residential electric HWH (we have one) and the Cal Rods stay submerged all the time so they last a long time. All it takes is a fraction of a second exposure to air and it's toast...

Great thing about an RV heater is you have the propane option. My residential HWH has no option except a cold shower and an unhappy wife.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
It's just like a residential electric HWH (we have one) and the Cal Rods stay submerged all the time so they last a long time. All it takes is a fraction of a second exposure to air and it's toast...

Great thing about an RV heater is you have the propane option. My residential HWH has no option except a cold shower and an unhappy wife.
So you saying when I winterize, and remove the rod, I am hurting it.
I am on my second season, so far so good.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
So I'm on my 3rd electric water heater element over the last 2 seasons. I have about given up. Who else is a dumb idiot like me???

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I might suggest a large red hang tag on the access door (or electric panel if the ON/Off is inside) indicating the element is turned on, to remind you to turn it off when packing to leave. This in addition to staring the water pump or city service and burping the tank before firing it up or plugging in the shore power. This is what some folks do to remind them to retract the television antenna when packing, also.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
I might suggest a large red hang tag on the access door (or electric panel if the ON/Off is inside) indicating the element is turned on, to remind you to turn it off when packing to leave. This in addition to staring the water pump or city service and burping the tank before firing it up or plugging in the shore power. This is what some folks do to remind them to retract the television antenna when packing, also.
the tag is always there to remind me, I attached it to the end of my power cord..... when I'm un-hooking it's there to remind me(if I haven't thought of it before then) to open the outside door and flip off the rocker switch,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0225.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	124071  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
Site Team

A simple paper Departure check list by the door is what we use.
Check the WH electric switch is on the list.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
No - assuming the power switch is off. If the element is on and exposed to air it will burn out.

No harm in pulling it when the power is off. And with the Suburban water heaters pulling the anode is the only way to drain it for winter.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #10

Use a check list or put a tag on the end of your power supply cord label "water heater off?" ......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

Quote:
I think there is just a hair confusion here with the terminology. When SidecarFlip said CalRod (it's a type of heating element) and should not be confused with the anode rod...even though both had "rod" in their name.

SCF is talking about not having the "electric heating element" exposed to air ONLY when it's energized....... and this has nothing to do with your anode rod, that you remove to drain the tank. Two separate things.

You actually want a small air pocket at the very top of your water heater (but this is good distance away from either your electric heating element or anode rod).

As per Suburbans website:

http://www.airxcel.com/suburban/service-support/faqs#

You may experience water weeping or dripping from your water heater's pressure and temperature (P&T) relief valve when your water heater is operating. Water weeping or dripping does not mean that the P&T valve is defective. As water is heated, it expands. The water system in a recreational vehicle is a closed system and does not allow for the expansion of heated water. When the pressure of the water system exceeds the relieving point of the P&T valve, the valve will relieve the excess pressure.

One way to reduce the frequency of this occurrence is to maintain an air pocket at the top of the water heater tank. This air pocket will form in the tank by design - however, it will be reduced over time by the everyday use of your water heater. To replenish this air pocket:
  1. Turn off the water heater.
  2. Turn off the cold water supply line.
  3. Open a faucet in the RV.
  4. Pull out the handle of the pressure relief (P&T) valve and allow water to flow from the valve until it stops.
  5. Release the handle on the P&T valve - it should snap closed.
  6. Close the faucet and turn on the cold water supply. As the tank fills, the air pocket will develop. Repeat this procedure as often as needed to reduce the frequency of the weeping P&T valve. If the weeping persists after following this procedure, you may elect to have your dealer install an expansion or accumulator tank in the cold water line between the tank and check valve to relieve the pressure caused by thermal expansion.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

I always turn off rocker switch when I disconnect the water hose.......I never drain the HW tank during camping season...The only time you can really burn out the heating element is at the beginning and end of the season and the tank is empty and switch is "ON"!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #13

My Windjammer has a circuit breaker labeled "water heater" on the breaker panel, in addition to the on/off switch on the heater itself. I flip that off as well before draining the tank for the winter (and only after filling it for the summer). It is a great double-check/reminder if you have to flip both switches.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Site Team

FWIW- changing the electric element is a PIA but not expensive.
Check your local Home Depot or Lowes before the RV parts desk.
You're looking for a 120V ac 1400 or 1500 watt screw in heater.
They are typically under $10 at the home store and could be in the
$30 range at a dealer.
I suppose there might be full timers with park model rigs that are 240 volt
so be SURE and check the old heater when you remove it. It's usually
stamped on there somewhere.
BE SURE AND UNPLUG YOUR RIG AND SHUT OFF THE 12V AND LP GAS when
attempting this repair!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
No - assuming the power switch is off. If the element is on and exposed to air it will burn out.

No harm in pulling it when the power is off. And with the Suburban water heaters pulling the anode is the only way to drain it for winter.
Not really,some Members just open the LP drains and their W/H will Drain! Not the proper way to drain the W/H but they do it anyway! Youroo!!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #16

Amen to KyDan. You don't want to electrocute yourself doing a simple repair and replacement.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
I didn't say or imply that. When I said Cal Rod I meant the HWH resistance element, not the anode rod (on a Suburban heater). I believe Atwood Heaters don't have an anode rod.

2 different animals, sorry for the confusion. I'm use to calling a electric HWH resistance element a Cal Rod.

Tags
electric