Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

How much can you negotiate down a dealer

Looking to buy a new 2013 Charleston BH. Seems like alot of dealers are about the same price. I've talked the guys in Texas at MHSRV and they seem pretty fair. Question is whats the norm on how much you can talk these guys down? I've bought plenty of cars and always negotiated them down. But never a new RV. Their at $229 down from $324 MSRP. Which seems infated in this economy. Thanks.
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

30% off MSRP seems pretty good in any economy.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

I agree. I would have said start at 25% off and be happy with 20% +/- off MSRP, but you've already got that beat. We bought our first TT, with no trade-in, at 26% off MSRP.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The mark ups on RVs are much larger than automobiles.
25% off MSRP is about average for what you can expect to get.
30% is the mark of an expert negotiator.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Phat Phrog

Wow what a gorgeous MH! I had to google it and the YouTube video was jaw dropping!! I agree that a 30% discount is great....especially this early in the season!

We purchased a 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 toy hauler in October and I was able to negotiate nearly 40% off. I am totally in love with the FR Georgetown and my dream is to one day own one!! When the day comes that we no longer ride our Harley Davidson....I plan to complete our camping experience with a Georgetown!! Or...whatever Class A was in the newest Transformers movie....was that a romantic looking Class A or what!

Please let us know how you do and by all means please let me live vicariously through your photos of the one you fall in love with!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Wow what a gorgeous MH! I had to google it and the YouTube video was jaw dropping!! I agree that a 30% discount is great....especially this early in the season!

We purchased a 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 toy hauler in October and I was able to negotiate nearly 40% off. I am totally in love with the FR Georgetown and my dream is to one day own one!! When the day comes that we no longer ride our Harley Davidson....I plan to complete our camping experience with a Georgetown!! Or...whatever Class A was in the newest Transformers movie....was that a romantic looking Class A or what!

Please let us know how you do and by all means please let me live vicariously through your photos of the one you fall in love with!
Since RV Chick likes it, I had to check it out. Very nice MH with all the bells and whistles. Saving an extra 5% = some cash on this one.

We love our XRL toy hauler and riding the motorcycles but we also are looking down the road when we are no longer able to ride. When we took the trailer in for service yesterday we looked at some nice fifth wheel units. Right now, we are enjoying life and appreciate our good health.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Thanks all for the replies. I just thought mabey they inflated the MSRP to make it seem like a good deal. It seems as if that is truely the MSRP. I talked to the salesman agian yesterday and it souds like their willing to budge some. In the end this is beautiful coach my family and I are sure to enjoy for years to come.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkrapMoney View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I just thought mabey they inflated the MSRP to make it seem like a good deal. It seems as if that is truely the MSRP. I talked to the salesman agian yesterday and it souds like their willing to budge some. In the end this is beautiful coach my family and I are sure to enjoy for years to come.
although i would never own it i looked at the video and WOW.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
rip

I figured 25% off MSRP when I negotiated for my trailer. No, actually I figured 25% off MSRP plus freight, which is $2K to get it down south here. I was only 20% off MSRP (without freight added on). Dealers closer to the factory like RVW can quote a much lower price. My negotiated price was less than all dealers I talked with, including internet quotes. I am not including taxes and fees as part of my base price.

Anyway, at my negotiated price, the dealer should still be getting a gross profit near 12% (not net, gross). I'd like for them to stay in business.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #10

I've heard of folks getting as much as 40% off - but that was 2 - 3 years ago when the market was at the bottom.

The car world has been changed by the internet - I talked to two dealers and then hit the net - got an email response and shortly thereafter they located what I wanted and quoted me about 10% below anyone else has (for 99% the same truck). Thanks to the internet I have it in writing too.

Maybe you can get some internet lowball price to use as leverage?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I figured 25% off MSRP when I negotiated for my trailer. No, actually I figured 25% off MSRP plus freight, which is $2K to get it down south here. I was only 20% off MSRP (without freight added on). Dealers closer to the factory like RVW can quote a much lower price. My negotiated price was less than all dealers I talked with, including internet quotes. I am not including taxes and fees as part of my base price.

Anyway, at my negotiated price, the dealer should still be getting a gross profit near 12% (not net, gross). I'd like for them to stay in business.

Unfortunately, you have to almost rude to them before you can get their attention. I will start at 40% of MSRP and gradually work up a little bit at a time. By all means, play one dealer off the other. Just don't be afraid of making an offer so low that it's insulting.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Always Learning

I cheated. I got quotes from the Internet dealers and then went locally with just under what they were asking. One dealer wouldn't deal until I walked away. Another dealer went for it.

I'm not sure what percentage off of MSRP I ended up with, though. The paperwork woman at the dealership said she was shocked I got such a deal. The deal was well done by the time I got to her.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #13

Be careful of that MSRP number. You have to start with the MANUFACTURERS number NOT the dealers. You'll notice dealerships create their own MSRP unlike car/trucks. The rule of thumb is 30-35% off MSRP. The economy is still in the tank so haggle on!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Be careful of that MSRP number. You have to start with the MANUFACTURERS number NOT the dealers. You'll notice dealerships create their own MSRP unlike car/trucks. The rule of thumb is 30-35% off MSRP. The economy is still in the tank so haggle on!
That's true about the inflated MSRP. I found out the factory MSRP for my base unit and the factory MSRP for each of the options. My local dealer just happened to use those same numbers, some others I talked with were higher for the same base/options.

On a small trailer 30-40K MSRP, I believe 30% off factory MSRP will be close to a low volume dealer's cost (read that local). Just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #15

I agree 30% is definitely doable. I just work a deal on my new Rockwood from manufacturers MSRP of just over $25,000 down to $16,400. The best thing I can suggest is do your research first. Find out what similar models are selling for and go into negotiations with them in hand. Lastly, be ready to walk. Let them know you are ready to purchase, but if they can't meet your price walk and tell them to call you if they change their mind.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
rip

Here's an MSRP example...

The MSRP of my base trailer was just under $27K and the MSRP of factory options was around $4.5K, for an MSRP of $31.5K (figures from Forest River Rockwood MSRP Order Form). Freight was $2K.

The MSRP for the same base/options quoted by an internet dealer was around $36.5K. That's a difference of $5K. This dealer's asking price was very good and comparable to only a few area dealers if you adjusted for shipping, but most area dealers were 2-4K higher. The inflated MSRP was unnecessary for comparitive shopping on the asking price, but it made that particular asking price seem like 34% off. It would have only been 23% off actual MSRP.

That why I said RattleNsmoke was on target about warning us about the MSRP numbers we use to figure a percent off.

I couldn't find a factory MSRP for the OP's Charleston 430BH, other than the dealer's stated $325K. The $230K price is about 30% off, and was in line with other dealers' prices advertizing via internet. One dealer mentioned it was a discontinued model and limited to stock on hand. Don't know if that's true either. However, since others were asking similar prices, the OP can probably negotiate more. I see no one else was able to provide the OP a different actual factory MSRP on this high dollor model.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Here's an MSRP example...

The MSRP of my base trailer was just under $27K and the MSRP of factory options was around $4.5K, for an MSRP of $31.5K (figures from Forest River Rockwood MSRP Order Form). Freight was $2K.

The MSRP for the same base/options quoted by an internet dealer was around $36.5K. That's a difference of $5K. This dealer's asking price was very good and comparable to only a few area dealers if you adjusted for shipping, but most area dealers were 2-4K higher. The inflated MSRP was unnecessary for comparitive shopping on the asking price, but it made that particular asking price seem like 34% off. It would have only been 23% off actual MSRP.

That why I said RattleNsmoke was on target about warning us about the MSRP numbers we use to figure a percent off.

I couldn't find a factory MSRP for the OP's Charleston 430BH, other than the dealer's stated $325K. The $230K price is about 30% off, and was in line with other dealers' prices advertizing via internet. One dealer mentioned it was a discontinued model and limited to stock on hand. Don't know if that's true either. However, since others were asking similar prices, the OP can probably negotiate more. I see no one else was able to provide the OP a different actual factory MSRP on this high dollor model.
Thanks for the awesome info Rip. Ill keep in touch.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #18

We just ordered a Columbus 320RS that came in at about 34% off MSRP, and it was the real MSRP as I saw the price sheet from the factory rep. Just as a suggestion (particularly if you're ordering a unit), if you're at an impasse on the money negotiate to have the dealer throw in some options. Many times they're more willing to do that than shave the price and it all really ends up the same.
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #19

Great topic.
We ordered our new Crusader 5r from the winter RV show last month and managed 32% off MSRP. The dealer threw in a hitch, installation, prep charge, and the $5k Touring Edition package. They even called in the factory rep (was at the show) to help with some additional factory money to seal the deal.
It helps with destination charges that the factory is only 2 hours away.

They will definately deal, so don't be shy.
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote