Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeerose View Post
@ DouglasReid: I note that you are not using any Calgon and I, too, cannot find any anymore here in Canada, so your method without Calgon would a real advantage. Can you tell me how much Dawn you are using? I normally just put the blue stuff and about 2 Tbsp. of Dawn down my toilet bowl, but perhaps that is not enough? Thanks.
I agree that Calgon is not available on Canada anymore. So you either have to go across the border and pick some up or find an alternative.

Rv-friendly treatments like BamaBob can be used.

Another alternative is what FRF member OldCoot uses:

"Mix equal parts of SuperClean, Pinesol and water. When we leave a campground to go home, I use the tank sprayer until I get clear water, close the valve and dump about 1/2 gal (2 L) of SuperClean, 1/2 bottle of Pinesol and about 2 US gal of water, tow home and leave it until we go camping again. No smell. Keep water/SuperClean/Pinesol in the toilet so nothing dries out."
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #22

PineSol period

We also could not find the Calgon so decided to just dump a bottle of pine cleaner in there, add lots of water and let it agitate. (We used the tank flush until water was clear before adding the cleaner).

We stopped at a dump before we got home and were amazed at how much more stuff was obviously cleaned out during the ride. We continue to do this occasionally and have never had odors or sensor issues.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #23

1/4 cup of Calgon liquid (1 capful) is equal to 1/2 cup of Calgon powder, based on instructions for liquid here:

https://www.amazon.com/Calgon-Water-.../dp/B0056X2QC6

and powder here:

https://www.amazon.com/Calgon-Water-.../dp/B004VL3ZPQ

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #24
Berkshire 390QS

This is the original geo method which uses water softener, laundry detergent and bleach.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #25

geo method

I use liquid Calgon which I get from Walmart.
I pour about a cup in the toilet and 1/3 cup down one of the sinks and then one cup of liquid tide and 1/3 cup down a sink and then add about 5 gallons water to the black tank and a little water down the sink to wash it down. then leave it until we travel. So when we leave on a trip I just add one of the 'tablets' to the black tank either before we leave or get there. So far I have used this method with our last few campers and have had good luck with the sensors reading fairly accurately and more importantly have not had any issues with odor!! Remember lots of water is your friend when it comes to the black tank!!
WigglesnWooffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeerose View Post
@ DouglasReid: I note that you are not using any Calgon and I, too, cannot find any anymore here in Canada, so your method without Calgon would a real advantage. Can you tell me how much Dawn you are using? I normally just put the blue stuff and about 2 Tbsp. of Dawn down my toilet bowl, but perhaps that is not enough? Thanks.
My un-monitored rambling around the internet looking for powered Calgon turned up a site that also noted that no form of Calgon was available in the Great White North . The primary usage was for washing cloth diapers. They noted that Borax is an acceptable substitute for Calgon. In fact, Borax was the recommended product for those lucky few with soft water. Use the same amount of Borax as you would Calgon.
Additional use for Borax is that it repels bugs.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
I have found the liquid version of this product at WalMart in Florida and NY. It's out there and at a great price. Seems pretty pricey on Amazon. Good Luck.
It is no longer available in Canada.....Got a case of liquid in Fl this spring.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #28

We use 1 capful of liquid Calgon & 1 capful of Laundry Detergent,,, if the weather is real hot I sometimes add a little Black Tank Deodorizer,,, also we never put anything but soft water in our tanks !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #29

I'm with the enzymatic crowd. In forty years have used nothing else with good results. Keep everything liquefied and your tank will fully empty when you dump. I even use it when sitting long term so I get a good dump when I pull the handle. I think the problem people have is they don't put enough water down the hole when they flush. If you don't you get petrified poop piles which won't move out the dump hole.
I have the place where I can do a major rinse which I do before I park the trailer in storage. You would be amazed at how much is still in the tank even after a good dump and rinse. The best way to keep your tanks in good shape is to park the trailer so it leans to the dump hose side. Put a hose down the toilet and fill at the highest pressure you can muster. When you get the tank full, pull the handle and let 'er rip. I do that at least three times and my tanks never stink.
I understand it is difficult to find a place to do that, but it is the best way to keep your tanks clean.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I'm with the enzymatic crowd. In forty years have used nothing else with good results. Keep everything liquefied and your tank will fully empty when you dump. I even use it when sitting long term so I get a good dump when I pull the handle. I think the problem people have is they don't put enough water down the hole when they flush. If you don't you get petrified poop piles which won't move out the dump hole.
I have the place where I can do a major rinse which I do before I park the trailer in storage. You would be amazed at how much is still in the tank even after a good dump and rinse. The best way to keep your tanks in good shape is to park the trailer so it leans to the dump hose side. Put a hose down the toilet and fill at the highest pressure you can muster. When you get the tank full, pull the handle and let 'er rip. I do that at least three times and my tanks never stink.
I understand it is difficult to find a place to do that, but it is the best way to keep your tanks clean.
All very good ideas,,,
with our old TT it was very helpful to use a Toilet Wand !!!
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #31

Thanks to all for the feedback and recommendations. I've been using the enzyme packets (usually whatever walmart has) for the past 15 years or so but thought maybe the geo method might be better/more eco friendly. That's whenn I found that getting the powdered version of Calgon wasn't that easy (or I guess if your in Canada, any Calgon!)

We're going to try the liquid version since it is easier to find and see how things go. Thanks all!
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #32

We have always used Liquid Calgon !!!
Not sure I have ever seen Powered Calgon ???
Sounds like APITA !!!
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We have always used Liquid Calgon !!!
Not sure I have ever seen Powered Calgon ???
Sounds like APITA !!!
Yeah, the liquid is definitely easier to use!

Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #34
King of the Road

In reality, any water softener is all you need. Calgon, Rain Drops, even 20 Mule Team Borax will suffice. Even Oxi clean or generic equivalent from the Dollar Tree work good.

I've used them all and was happy, but have recently started using bio-enzymes. These are great and they are bio degradable. They are basically enzymes and bacteria (good kind) that will digest the solid waste products.

One benefit is you don't have to flush your tanks as often, and some even suggest that you don't because the bacteria/enzyme combination will multiply and be more effective. And they will continue to work in the sewage system after you dump your tanks, unless there are too many chemicals.

While driving, partially full tanks with these bip agent will help keep the sensors "sensible", LOL

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
In reality, any water softener is all you need. Calgon, Rain Drops, even 20 Mule Team Borax will suffice. Even Oxi clean or generic equivalent from the Dollar Tree work good.

I've used them all and was happy, but have recently started using bio-enzymes. These are great and they are bio degradable. They are basically enzymes and bacteria (good kind) that will digest the solid waste products.

One benefit is you don't have to flush your tanks as often, and some even suggest that you don't because the bacteria/enzyme combination will multiply and be more effective. And they will continue to work in the sewage system after you dump your tanks, unless there are too many chemicals.

While driving, partially full tanks with these bip agent will help keep the sensors "sensible", LOL
The GEO method isn't meant to degrade anything, it's meant to keep things slippy-slidey so it all comes out.

Most bio-enzymes don't have enough time to do much digesting given the relatively short times (4-5 days, maybe) that most people keep "stuff" in their black tanks. Remember that if you're dumping at 4 days, one half of it's only been in there 2 days (on average, of course!).

Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #36

Back about 25 years ago when we had our home build,,, I ask the Man that owned the Co. that put in our septic sys. if I should add anything to the system,,, he said that the County Health Department recommended that we just let nature take it course !!!
Our system has always worked very well,,, so I have to believe that products like Rid X is just another way to get our money ???
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post

Does Borax or Oxi Clean claim to soften water ???
Old 08-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Does Borax or Oxi Clean claim to soften water ???
I just Googled that question. From what I read on multiple sites they both are to a degree. Not as good as Calgon though. I use Rain Drops by Arm and Hammer. Pretty much equal to Calgon.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #39

I have not ever seen Rain Drops,,, where do you find the ???
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #40

Quote:
I have not ever seen Rain Drops,,, where do you find the ???
WE buy ours on Amazon. "Rain Drops Water Softener, 42 Ounce (Pack of 2) $!0.16. It's way less than Calgon.

UPDATE: Been doing a bunch of reading in the last hour since this topic came up and found that according to a blog about the GEO method some softeners are not quite as good as others. here is a quote from one of those. Apparently a product called Blue Raindrops is not the same as Raindrops.

"There are many different "brands" of water softeners; however, be careful as one is not always as good as another. Softeners fall into either one of two "groups": Precipitating and non-precipitating, and most of the time, the labels will not tell you which is which. You have to know for your self.

The first group (precipitating) is not recommended for the GEO method as it has some characteristics that while are not harmful to our black tanks, does not really work as well. This group contains the brands: Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, Raindrops, Blue Dew, Borax, Climalene, Melo, White King Water Softener, and Borateem.

The second group (non-precipitating) is the one that is best used for the GEO Method and the brands are: Calgon (a mixture of non-precipitating and precipitating chemicals), White Rain, Blue Raindrops, and Spring Rain. These softeners ties up hardness minerals in the water and holds them in solution (sequestering). No visible particles are formed. The water remains clear and usually contains phosphates. The water feels slippery (which also makes the sides of the black tanks slippery)."

There ya go. Even though it has been working for us, I will probably be switching to one of the ones that look better. Still hope to NOT use Calgon. Expensive.

EDIT: One final word. More reading reveals that for black tank use, NOT laundry, both types work OK for a black tank. The different types really only matter more to laundry. (it's the intermets, take it for what it's worth)

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water