Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
So, no RV's either?
Without touching the forbidden politics rule, I would assume Sacramento PD have a lot discretion when enforcing this ordinance.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #22
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Regardless of permission from Walmart, camping on public and private property is illegal in the city of Sacramento. Other cities probably have similar ordinances.
It is assumed that when one seeks permission from the Wal-Mart manager, they would be informed if 1) their particular store policy permits it and 2) whether the particular locale says it's okay. The manager is obviously not going to say "go ahead" if the town prohibits it.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #23

I've seen several of the newer Walmarts that have parking lots that are setup in a way that will keep RVs out. Big rocks placed at the entrance to each aisle and the turns are very narrow. It wouldn't surprise me to see them all eliminate overnight parking at some point. Then where all the class A diesel pushers going to stop for the night?
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #24

All the Walmart neighborhood market stores that I have been too are designed to keep trucks and RV’s out. With just my 3500 it’s hard to get in some
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I've seen several of the newer Walmarts that have parking lots that are setup in a way that will keep RVs out. Big rocks placed at the entrance to each aisle and the turns are very narrow. It wouldn't surprise me to see them all eliminate overnight parking at some point. Then where all the class A diesel pushers going to stop for the night?
How do the Walmart delivery trucks enter the lot?
They are a 53' semi-trailer pulled by a 3 axle truck-tractor..65' total.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
How do the Walmart delivery trucks enter the lot?
They are a 53' semi-trailer pulled by a 3 axle truck-tractor..65' total.
Separate entrances around back. They often don't have parking back there for anyone.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #27
Kasual Kamper

Least we forget... Some Cabellas/Bass Pro Shops and I believe, all Cracker Barrel restaurants allow overnight RV parking. Some Cabellas even have dump stations.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I don’t drive at night, miss to much stuff. I have did that before and it’s just no fun. By the time you get to your destination you are wore out. Then you have to turn around and do the same thing going home. I’m normally in a campground by 3pm, maybe 4pm at the latest
X2 on missing stuff. We drove up the scenic 7 one time(not towing) and I figure at least 20 near death experiences...trying to look around...2-3 seconds at a time.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
So, no RV's either?
Hello... that's glamping... the rules say camping.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #30

People need to realize that homelessness is a problem. Without getting into the reasons why people take to tenting on sidewalks and parking lots just realize that they will be treated differently than RV'ers.

It's easy to enforce laws against overnight parking by RV'ers. Start passing laws against homeless doing likewise with their tent, car, old RV, and the "Cities" come under attack from all kinds of "Rights Groups".

Sometimes the "Cities" just toss their hands up and surrender rather than spending endless amounts of time in the courts.

Seattle, which is the closest MAJOR city to have a homeless problem with "tent cities" popping up everywhere is struggling to keep them under control so they don't become a hazard to everyday citizens as well as crime hubs, all while trying to appease the "Rights Groups".

FWIW, without going into "forbidden territory" (on this site) homelessness and all it's associated problems will never be solved until the underlying issues are given more attention by our "Leaders".

In closing, I remember as a young kid tossing a tarp over a picnic table in a city park or rest area and rolling out my sleeping bag when "trekking" around the country. Even did the same in Europe. Nobody seemed to care back in those days as long as I didn't show signs of building my own small homestead.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
People need to realize that homelessness is a problem. Without getting into the reasons why people take to tenting on sidewalks and parking lots just realize that they will be treated differently than RV'ers.

It's easy to enforce laws against overnight parking by RV'ers. Start passing laws against homeless doing likewise with their tent, car, old RV, and the "Cities" come under attack from all kinds of "Rights Groups".

Sometimes the "Cities" just toss their hands up and surrender rather than spending endless amounts of time in the courts.

Seattle, which is the closest MAJOR city to have a homeless problem with "tent cities" popping up everywhere is struggling to keep them under control so they don't become a hazard to everyday citizens as well as crime hubs, all while trying to appease the "Rights Groups".

FWIW, without going into "forbidden territory" (on this site) homelessness and all it's associated problems will never be solved until the underlying issues are given more attention by our "Leaders".

In closing, I remember as a young kid tossing a tarp over a picnic table in a city park or rest area and rolling out my sleeping bag when "trekking" around the country. Even did the same in Europe. Nobody seemed to care back in those days as long as I didn't show signs of building my own small homestead.
I agree!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #32

I used to deal with the homeless on the daily basis during my 34 yr LEO career.
The ones who want or admit they want help use a shelter..we the public don't see them. Our "leaders" provide those shelters and the kitchens that feed them.
The hard core street homeless do not want anything to do with a shelter. There are too many rules and conditions that go with staying in a shelter. No drugs, no drink, no pets and the "government" control of their life does not appeal to some homeless. Some are violent which automatically gets them kicked out of a shelter. They like living on their own terms, without rules and without responsibility. Most are substance abusers and some are mentally ill.
Cops check on them, ask how they are doing, encourage them to use a shelter and ask them to move on if a complaint was made.
Not much more you can do for people who don't want help. Homelessness isn't illegal.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
The ones who want or admit they want help use a shelter..we the public don't see them. Our "leaders" provide those shelters and the kitchens that feed them.
The hard core street homeless do not want anything to do with a shelter. There are too many rules and conditions that go with staying in a shelter. No drugs, no drink, no pets and the "government" control of their life does not appeal to some homeless. Some are violent which automatically gets them kicked out of a shelter. They like living on their own terms, without rules and without responsibility. Most are substance abusers and some are mentally ill.
Cops check on them, ask how they are doing, encourage them to use a shelter and ask them to move on if a complaint was made.
Not much more you can do for people who don't want help. Homelessness isn't illegal.
This was also my experience as a firefighter/EMT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #34

So wait a minute. I am confused. OP put up a photo of a tent in a parking lot. Do we have any other facts ? Did you sit there and time them sleeping overnight? How do you even know it was even setup overnight? Or that someone even slept there? We have everything from municipal code to "have empathy for the homeless" in this thread. Seriously? Can we all be any more judgemental?

It's not what you see, it's what you don't see.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #35

Every town / city Walmart can be different. As far as overnight stops at our WalMart it appears anything goes, including tractor trailers always at least 4 parking overnight. They are not delivering to Walmart either.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #36

How much more of this before??

Come on. The guy buys a tent and wants to be sure all is okay with it. He sets it up in the parking next to his truck. It is there for 10 minutes, all is good, down comes the tent.
My $25,000 guess.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Come on. The guy buys a tent and wants to be sure all is okay with it. He sets it up in the parking next to his truck. It is there for 10 minutes, all is good, down comes the tent.
My $25,000 guess.

You could be correct. Staying overnight where they bought it to make sure all good before they left. Much easier to take it back in than try and get warranty repair after 🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #38

The most important thing on a tent is how good it keeps out water
Old 05-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #39

How much more of this before??

Quote:

I wish this forum had a “like” button.

I apologize for truncating the quote, this app isn’t very intuitive or user friendly.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #40

It has got a like button, just say X2 or say nothing