Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
That's why I added "executor".
We came in to life with nothing we plan on leaving with less ......... for us the state would end up being the executor......

5 to 20 years on a trailer or when the DW wants a different layout..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We came in to life with nothing we plan on leaving with less ......... for us the state would end up being the executor......

5 to 20 years on a trailer or when the DW wants a different layout..............

You are right, I’ll have to remember that quote
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #83

When my Good Sam extended warranty runs out. An industry plagued with poor quality control makes owning long term very costly.

2019 Sunseeker 2400WS
Toad:2019 Chevrolet Sonic RS
TNYHWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
5 to 20 years on a trailer or when the DW wants a different layout.....
This ^^
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
We have a 2005 Cardinal 33TS LX. It has all the latest electronics, some furniture upgrades and some cabinet modifications. I just can’t justify spending 70k for a new one that may not have everything I have added to this one. I have kept the warranty up, it covers all the expensive repairs so I’m good for now.
+ you have to start all over again fixing a new one !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
+ you have to start all over again fixing a new one !!!
Yea, but it's on the manufacturers dime. Plus your getting a new Rig every 4 years or so. If the FAA had the same quality control standard as the RV industry we would have body parts all over our rooftops. I'm not complaining--I know what I bought into.

2019 Sunseeker 2400WS
Toad:2019 Chevrolet Sonic RS
TNYHWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #87
nmdcporter

Too be honest my wife and I have owned 9 rigs since 1991. The longest we kept any of them was 5 years. The shortest was 6 months (embarrassed to say). We started with a pop up , then when we had our son moved to a 5th wheel (didn't what to wake the neighbors when camping at 2am). We switch every time we thought we needed too and went all the way up to a Class A. Now that I'm retired, I've realized we wasted a lot of money chasing the latest and greatest. We finally realized we don't need anything that big to enjoy camping. So about 8 years ago we started downsizing and now we have what I hope is our last or second to last TT (depending on how many more years we camp hopefully 20 more at least).

We purchased a 2018 Flagstaff 27RLWS last year. We made a list of every thing we wanted to have in our rig and went shopping. We traded in our old TT (we downsized just a little to much for us and didn't get every we wanted). On the new Flagstaff the only thing we didn't get was an outside kitchen, I do most of the cooking when we camp outside so I thought it would be nice to have one. Not having the outside kitchen means, I have to drag out the grill and stove for cooking which is no big deal.

I honestly think we have finally found the right rig for us, This past summer we were out almost 100 days cruising around the country and felt very comfortable in the Flagstaff with no major issues. Next summer will be the true test when we take a couple of the grandkids camping for a week. So ask this question again in 10 years and hopefully I'll be in the same rig :-D
nmdcporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #88

Sometimes I look at a camper that I did have like it better than the one I have now, I’m not to bright I must admit
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #89

Our first TT we only kept about 5 years. It was a 27’ expandable toy hauler, Keystone Tailgator, just the two of us. We got a Great Dane, then had our first son, so we upgraded to a 5er, 2007 Dutchmen Victory Lane. It was a nice rig. We kept that for 12 years. We might have kept it longer if I was smarter with maintenance, but I learned a lot. We just dropped back down to a TT, XLR 29 HFS and I love it! As long as I’m better with upkeep, I see no reason why we couldn’t keep this one for a long time too. I feel like it’s like buying a house.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #90

Well I hope to get at least 10 years out of this one. More if the stock market does not pick up significantly.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #91
Site Team - Lou

Just traded my 2010 (purchased at the start of the 2009 season) for a 2019 model year. I got 50% of my purchase price on the trade in.

Would have kept it for another few years, but the bigger unit and deal was impossible to resist.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:03 AM   #92

We have never looked back and thought that a rig we used to own would be better than the one we have now!!

We do look back, from time to time, and recommend the kinds of rigs that our friends and/or relatives should buy when just starting out, based on their own personal circumstances. We are hoping that our daughter and husband will accept our advice and join us on future camping ventures.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #93

Only when necessary. First, Class C - 5 years. Second, travel trailer - 13 years. Spent 18 months looking at various 5er's (we had written criteria) until we found one that met everything we listed. 2011 Sabre 31CKTS. Since then I have added many upgrades or additions, including additional floor insulation and replacing the coroplast bottom with corrugated fiber glass (finished Monday). Going full time in the spring and can't imagine starting over with a new model. Exterior only shows wear on the crap decals they put on, and the DW keeps the inside like new. Have traveled all around the West and have it at our Utah property May through October (8000 ft elevation). Beats being in the Vegas heat.

Being a pilot, I keep a logbook on the 5er like I do on the plane. Makes scheduling maintenance easy, and reminds me of any recurring issues. Besides, I can't remember all the things I've done to it, nor when it was done, without the logbook. If I ever trade it, the new owner will have a great recorded history of the unit.

PS Kept a logbook on the travel trailer, and when I sold it, it sold well over market price, to another pilot.
210flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #94

Six Class A's in 17 years. So upside down.....I don't remember which end is up! Don't follow my lead!
vicetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #95

We started out cross country camping in a 3 person pup tent, progressed to a cabin tent. We spent one night in BIL's pop up TT...loved it, but decided we wanted hard sides. We bought a 25' Rockwood with 1 slide....kept it modest in case we didn't like the it.....found out we loved RVing....so after 2 seasons we traded it for our new 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback....loved the floor plan and the OUTSTANDING treatment we received over the years from the factory (Denise Davis) and the CCRVOC....that after 10 years we knew we wanted another CC...so we now hopefully have our trailer for life, 2019 CC Hathaway. WE took care of our Silverback, traded it (felt we should have gotten more, but got a good deal on the 2019, so overall, were pretty happy) It has many more bells & whistles - some which were a requirement. We also know were Orvan Fry lives, so keeping this rig for 10+ years should be easier.

We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time (S-10 Blazer for 23 yrs, still drive our 2003 Honda Accord.....so we are also hoping our 2017 GMC D/A dually is our truck for life (traded in our 2008 D/A 2500 - which would not have been enough truck for the future trailer we knew we would be getting, current CC) ....only time will tell.

This has been a great thread to read.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #96

What great read!

I have a 2012 Sunseeker I bought cheap in 2016. Has 70k on it now, with a chevy express 4500 base. We actually plan on keeping it till the equipment is unrepairable.

A MH is different then a TT or a 5er. We have an engine to keep up. So, how many miles are you guys driving in a class C gasser? Don't want to hijack the discussion, but maybe add something to it.

Thanks for a great read. I will also be buried in mine if the engine will start and work as a hearse.
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #97

We have over 90000 on our 12 and don't have plans to replace. If I can't fix then maybe, but it would have to be big time major to fix.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #98

Same standard as Jeep ownership. Those that understand what they are buying into enjoy, those that don’t move on to other interests.
cfb1141942 is offline   Reply With Quote