Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #31
We also recorded video via iPhone5 during our PDI so that as we went to our first campout that night we could reference anything we might have forgotten.

Also, we went to a nicely set up RV campground about 45 min away from home and not too far from where our salesman lives. He told us to call his cell anytime over the weekend if we needed help.

Thankfully we didn't and we had a blast!

Patrick & Stacey Burnett
Central Arkansas

2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SAF
1998 Seaward Fox Cat rigged trailerable sailboat
Our Lake Life Blog
TimeOutRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #32
We traded in our pop up for a travel trailer in May. We had the pop up cabinets unloaded and most everything in containers. We arrived at our dealership at 12 noon in Waco. Did the PDI, got the hitch installed and moved everything from the pop up to the trailer. Left about 3:00 and drove down to Fredericksburg for a four day shake out trip. This worked just fine for us.

2016 Ford F150 Platinum
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood 2560G Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #33
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Driveway camping is not an option for me. My driveway won't hold my camper and parking it on the road- I can only open 3 of my 4 slides. A campground is a must!
I can barely fit in my driveway...your big 5er wouldn't have a chance. Another reason smaller is sometimes better
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I can barely fit in my driveway...your big 5er wouldn't have a chance. Another reason smaller is sometimes better

I'm also envious when you fit into sites without needing landing clearance, two forms of ID and 8 forms filled out in triplicate!
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #35
Site Team
If your service department does their job well you should have a very good chance of hitting the road and camping right away. If it were me I would hope for the best and keep my fingers crossed. I would also keep everything as simple as possible. But I would also be prepared to cancel the trip if need be.

If you do find items that need fixing that are more serious than aligning a drawer or something little of that nature I wouldn't take delivery even with a trip planned.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
Very realistic. My wife and I got our very first trailer on the Friday before Memorial Day this year. Bought it, did the walk through and then headed straight to a campground for the next 3 nights.

Funny story about the first hookup though. We got there about the same time as another couple who had a very nice toy hauler and brand new diesel pickup. So we kind of watched what they did as we hooked ours up. We met them the next day and they proceed to tell us that this was their first time out with a camper and that the truck and camper were owned by the Dodge dealership the wife worked at. So they watched us as we did our hookups thinking we must know what we were doing. So there you have it, two noobs watching each other thinking the other is the expert.
2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
I am about to do close to just that. Tomorrow morning I am heading to the dealer to trade in the current RV for a 2014 Primetime Sanibel. I will be doing my PDI/Walkthrough tomorrow, moving stuff over and spending the night at the dealers campground for the night. That gives me time to find any major item to address. Then Friday, towing 200 miles to WV for the weekend. Back home and to work on Monday.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
You will find thing wrong with almost every trailer purchased. If you live far from a dealer I suggest camping close by the dealer for your first trip. 99% of the time there will be something that needs to be fixed or adjusted by the dealer
2014 stealth 2714
Jjs2000z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou
Handy PDI Checklist from "Changin' Gears"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Changin' Gears - RV Inspection Checklist.pdf (212.8 KB, 38 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #40
We went from 20+ years of tenting to a 32 footer. So we had a bunch of stuff already. And we trolled WM for a few months before our PDI so we had everything we needed when we got it home. We driveway camped and it was great! Seven days later we did the shakedown. Took me that long to find a place for everything. It was 7 days of torture, not being able to camp with it.

2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote