Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #11

If you have a modern smartphone it will have hotspot capability. This lets you connect your computer to your phone and use your phone's internet capability (and monthly allowance.) No data remains on the phone during this process so everything goes to your bank or stays on your laptop. Connection is standard WiFi.

Works great, use it all the time and there is no additional charge from Verizon for this service. Hotspot is password protected.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Get yourself a "Hot spot" from your cell provider. I'm not trying to sell any particular provider, however, we do use Verizon's Hot Spot and it has excellent connectivity!
I do this with AT&T even at home since we have no other internet connection out here in the country. I connect my laptop to the interweb through the hotspot on my iPhone. DW and I share 15gb of data monthly with 2 iPhones and the laptop connected through my iPhone AT&T hotspot.

I use free campground wireless for non-sensitive stuff (like browsing/posting here) but disconnect that and use my hotspot for sensitive stuff.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 42; booked = 20
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #13

All connection to the internet is risky. It's the sites that you actually visit that MAY have some level of security, but lately that is proving debatable with all the sites getting hacked; and that's just the ones that admit it publicly. Many more never let on.

Nothing you 'erase' is ever truly erased.

That's just the way it is nowadays.

My problem with campground wifi is mostly that when I connect, I never get anywhere, and just time out, because it's so slow and congested. So, I get off of it and get on cell connection and it works..........which eats my data, but I'm not a music or movie downloader so it seldom matters.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #14

What if I just turn off campground wifi and use my data plan to access online banking....is that safe?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #15

Quite safe. On-line banking uses its own "protocol" which is referred to has "HTTPS". It is encrypted at your computer and then decrypted at the bank. It is quite safe. If you ever use on-line credit card check out on the web, you will also notice that the site shifts to HTTPS itself to protect your card number and other data. In fact, most commercial web sites actually never see your card data as it passes directly to a 3rd party charge clearance company and all they get is a transaction number and an approval.

2015 335DS
Old 09-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
What if I just turn off campground wifi and use my data plan to access online banking....is that safe?
As said above, it's safe once you get inside the bank database. 28-bit encryption is usually used, and it's hard to hack........but not impossible.

But between you and the internet? Nothing is truly 'safe'. If anyone wants to access radio signals badly enough, they can.

I don't worry about it. Maybe I should.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #17

Thanks, scott and band.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #18

Actually the old rules don't apply that well. You are right that the radio signals are there for everyone to intercept, but once on the net everything goes by a given point anyway. However, while the raws data is "somewhat" interceptable, the actual data encrypted inside the raw data is highly difficult to decode.

HTTPS is the basis for all modern e-commerce, banking and is now even used to transmit images by a lot of systems.

2015 335DS
Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #19

NEVER use wi-fi for any financial transactions. Get a hot spot and/or a smartphone with a data plan.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Weekender

Here's another possible product solution.
Free FreedomPop Photon LTE Service - FreedomPop
They also have other products to choose from. I have been using FreedomPop for over two years and have been quite pleased with the equipment and service. I think that they use the Sprint systems for connections.

Tags
mpg