Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We also have an indoor/outdoor cat at home. He likes to go out to do his "business" with the dogs. While he is out, he almost always brings a present for me and leaves it on the patio for me to admire. Good kitty!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #22

neighbor caught 13 mice in less than 3 weeks in his new bunk hours.
i gave him some FRESHCAB.
GONE!

no tracks in mine either now for the 3rd winter.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #23

Our dealer told us they put Dryer Sheets in all there units !!!
I once put Mothballs under our vinyl propane tank cover,,, in the North woods,,,
The Mice built a nest right next to the Mothballs ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #24

I think it really depends on the property type the unit is parked on. OK so a dealer puts dryer sheets in their units...but is this a huge concrete parking lot with no real habitat for mice around anyway. Heck he put fairy dust in and it "would work".

Now where we leave ours in the RV park and it is dense woods all around...prime field mice habitat as well as chipmunks. We also have harsh winters in Maine and NH so these are hard core mice. A dryer sheet..moth balls and fresh cab aren't deterring them when the other option is stay outside. Whats a little stinky odor if you are dry and relatively safe.

Maybe these things work in areas where mice have options...maybe. But here...they are tough mice...smells don't deter.

Plus there may a whole other bunch of factors we are not aware of. Maybe mice can smell the odors of campers. Maybe if I cook a lot in mine it is more desirable verses the next guy who eats out..I don't know. I know the guy next to me uses dryer sheets and claims no mice but I used the exact same ones and did squat...so theres more to it. And he does not bother to plug up any holes.

I know they are hardcore...they ate 3 packets of Taco Bell Fire Sauce I left in a drawer...that had a dryer sheet in it. Hot sauce really..what do I have in there..Speedy Gonzales.

Fortunately we live within an hour of the park for most of the winter so I now just set good old fashion snap traps. Check em every two weeks for the first few months and then its mid winter and mice are not finding a home. They are not roaming around by January anymore trying to get in.

They are doing this in fall obviously...and actually I am sure they are already getting in before we close up. Personally I think they are probably already in before you close up but just stay in the walls and out of site. They don't need to rifle through your food until you leave and the winter/fall hits.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #25

shughey,,, your Mice have Great taste !!!
I also Love Fire Sauce !!!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #26

Well I'm here to tell you that mice don't hibernate. We've had some cold weather here in northern Minnesota this last week and we've caught 3 mice in traps in the last week. We haven't had any this last fall or winter up until now.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #27

Just saw this on an rv blog I follow. Wouldn't hurt to try.... Chuck Woodbury's Roadside Journal: Mice in your RV? Lion poop to the rescue!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
shughey,,, your Mice have Great taste !!!
I also Love Fire Sauce !!!
Haha...unbelievable they ate all three packs but they tore em up.

They also ate half of a mouse I caught in a trap in another area so apparently I know what else goes good with Fire Sauce..dead field mouse.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Well I'm here to tell you that mice don't hibernate. We've had some cold weather here in northern Minnesota this last week and we've caught 3 mice in traps in the last week. We haven't had any this last fall or winter up until now.
Yah they don't hibernate for sure. I just think most have found a home by the time the arctic cold hits in January....in my RV.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #30

Once in a while I find a dead one when I am moving snow,,, either they have frozen to death,,, or they found the Deacon ???
Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #31

Well, I've read that mice won't come around if there's a ferret in the area.

When I 'went back to school' I lived in a old 5th wheel in a sketchy trailer park in Colorado Springs for a year with my pet ferret, and now that I think about it, I never saw a mouse.

Ferrets are supposed to be better at keeping mice away than cats are, even though they've been domesticated longer and most have no hunting instinct.

Know someone with a ferret? Have them turn the critter loose in your camper for a few minutes every few weeks. Hmmm, maybe there's a service industry there. Or selling bottled ferret musk.

On the other hand, my dad bought that 5th wheel way back in the 70's, and still has it today, mostly stored in high grass on the farm, and I've never heard him say anything about mice. Maybe the ferret had nothing to do with it.
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #32

Anybody seen 'Never Cry Wolf?'
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #33

I swear by "rat zappers" with a "rat tail", you can find them on Amazon. Our brand new 5er had a mouse in only a few weeks. I took the rat zapper out of my old rig and got the mouse the next day with just a few pieces of dog kibble as bait. I have zappers in both trailers, my garage and chicken house, I leave them in place just in case. They are worth every penny.
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:47 AM   #34

I ended up getting really diligent about finding and plugging holes. Anything that basically penetrated the floor got spray foamed. There are some unbelievable sized holes that were cut to pass wiring through. Once I did that I haven't had any. I still use dryer sheets but really only because it makes me feel better. My dad always leaves a roll of paper towels in the counter in his MH as a visual aid for mice. It seems like its the 1st thing they go for and then he'll get serious about trapping.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice View Post
I swear by "rat zappers" with a "rat tail", you can find them on Amazon. Our brand new 5er had a mouse in only a few weeks. I took the rat zapper out of my old rig and got the mouse the next day with just a few pieces of dog kibble as bait. I have zappers in both trailers, my garage and chicken house, I leave them in place just in case. They are worth every penny.
Only trouble I see with the Rat Zapper,,, or maybe any Mouse trap,,,
Is you would need to check them ever couple of days !!!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #36

How to keep mice out of trailer?

Okay wish us luck....
We will b storing our Sunseeker in Las Vegas for about three months..bought the following: bounce, Irish Spring soap and "Shake-away. Will remove all the food, bag up all bedding, pillows ect. The RV will be setting on concrete and tires and shades will be attached. Wondering if we should live vents, fans opened? Just worried it will get hotter than blazes. All tanks will be empty.
Anything else, oh yea RV will be under a canopy.

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindimac View Post
Okay wish us luck....
We will b storing our Sunseeker in Las Vegas for about three months..bought the following: bounce, Irish Spring soap and "Shake-away. Will remove all the food, bag up all bedding, pillows ect. The RV will be setting on concrete and tires and shades will be attached. Wondering if we should live vents, fans opened? Just worried it will get hotter than blazes. All tanks will be empty.
Anything else, oh yea RV will be under a canopy.
If you have Vent Covers,,,
I think most of us would leave them open somewhat !!!
Speaking of bagging,,, have you tried the Vacuum bags ???
I was amazed how much less space they take up,,,
and am guessing mice would not chew thru them ???
GOOD LUCK !!!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #38
Site Team

When we volunteered at the local SPCA a few years ago we had 20 ferrets in the house ( they did not like them) and still had mice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwo View Post
Well, I've read that mice won't come around if there's a ferret in the area.

When I 'went back to school' I lived in a old 5th wheel in a sketchy trailer park in Colorado Springs for a year with my pet ferret, and now that I think about it, I never saw a mouse.

Ferrets are supposed to be better at keeping mice away than cats are, even though they've been domesticated longer and most have no hunting instinct.

Know someone with a ferret? Have them turn the critter loose in your camper for a few minutes every few weeks. Hmmm, maybe there's a service industry there. Or selling bottled ferret musk.

On the other hand, my dad bought that 5th wheel way back in the 70's, and still has it today, mostly stored in high grass on the farm, and I've never heard him say anything about mice. Maybe the ferret had nothing to do with it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
PLEASE do not use Rat Poison. It works by causing the rodents to bleed to death internally. It is not immediate and in the process of dying they become very thirsty and go out in search of water. While outside and dying they are easy prey for hawks and owls. If eaten by a bird of prey, they will also poison them. Keep rodents out with peppermint or cab fresh or trap those that get in with snap traps.
Good point. I suggest mixing in a small amount of cement, portland is nice, in the peanut butter. Gives em constipation like they never thought possible.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Only trouble I see with the Rat Zapper,,, or maybe any Mouse trap,,,
Is you would need to check them ever couple of days !!!
Now there is a better mouse trap. Look up 5 gal bucket trap on youtube. I have collected 14 one time. Put a little rv anti-freeze in the bucket just deep enough to give em a nice swim.They preserve well in that stuff too! Your goal is to rid the area of the ambient mouse supply until the weather changes and they begin to roam again.

All that stuff, dryer sheets, soap etc, if you bother to google it you will see its useless. Yes, some think they have luck, but it is just that, luck in the instant they didn't decend on your unit at that time. You need to bar entry, decimate the ambient population by whatever means works.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer