Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
How to make/find time to camp?

I see folks listing their days camped on their signatures. Are you all retired? Live in condos?

We're lucky if we get out 10 days a year and that's if we spend a week of our vacation camping. We're determined with what we've spent on a new TT an TV to camp more but where to find the time?

So how do you do it? Don't you have a house that needs things, cut the grass and work in the yard, etc? Kids that play sports? Jobs? Add in a rainy weekend here and there and when do you have time camp 30, 40, 60 or more days a year?

Help me camp more this year!

Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
We go every weekend through the summer. The last couple of years we only had a tent trailer, but this year with the travel trailer we plan on taking a week long camping trip also. Rain or Shine. We do all the house work through the week. We have 1 daughter (8yrs) who loves to camp. This is what we love to do so we make the time for it

2005 Ford F150 Lariat V8 5.4L
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
JEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
We'll camp about 30 nights a year. Most of our trips will be for 3 nights, a couple of trips will be longer and a few for only 2 nights. We do have a lake close by where we do most of our camping. Sometimes we'll head out as soon as I get home from work and be set up before dark. I work 4/10's, so I always have a 3 day weekend, but sometimes I do work from home on Fridays.
We have been empty nesters for about 8 years now so we don't have to worry about kid's sports or other activities except for a couple of our grandkids which isn't too much.
There's always something that needs done around the house, I do as much as I can after work during the week which helps to keep weekends free. I may take a couple of evenings mowing and weed eating the grass (I have 1 acres to take care of). I have also learned that if I don't get everything done in time, it'll be there when I get back!
To me it's really like anything else, you need to plan it and work towards making it happen. We always seem to plan ahead for kid's activities, work and about anything else, but seldom plan or make time for those "little" weekend get-aways.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Well, not sure this will help but I'll give you our situation and maybe there's something there that will work for you.

We have scheduled 17 days so far this year and will probably get in another 3-4 trips of 3 days each. So call it 25-30 days.

That's the absolute max for us due to where we live, taking time off work, our hobbies, and the kids' schedules.

We live in Wisconsin and the camping season here is shorter than many other parts of the US because we don't do any winter camping anymore.

May through October or maybe early November is the season for a hybrid. We don't have any out-of-state trips planned this year, but that would be one way to extend the season.

Rainy weekends are not so much an issue for us. We're outside folks so we would probably be out in the rain if we stayed home anyway.

Our house is in a pine woods so we have almost no lawn to care for. Get the gardens planted in Spring, a little weeding through the summer and sweep the pine needles off the drive. That's pretty much it.

As for work, I have more flexibility than most because I own my own business and have good employees to take care of accounts when I am not there. Plus, I can bring along my computer to keep in touch and do the occasional bit of work.

I should mention that we are often away from the house anyway on weekends in the summer. Most are already taken up with training or racing triathlon and we can choose to do this at home or away. We also try to coordinate camping around race weekends. There's a lot of races around here so that's one reason why we get out as much as we do.

But, stuff does tend to get pushed off until winter and spring. Winter is a busy time for us catching up on some of the things that we let go during the summer and fall.

As for the kids' other activities, ours are 9 years and under and right now we don't let them participate in all of the summer sports that would lock up every Sat and Sun on every weekend in June, July and August. Organized team sports at this age are just not that important to us.

So for us, its the flexibility with the house and job plus the choices we make in prioritizing our activities.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
I grew up in a family of 6 children plus mom and dad. Dad worked, mom stayed home. We rode the bus to school, and back home. As for sports, what was said above, "we don't let them participate in all of the summer sports that would lock up every Sat and Sun on every weekend in June, July and August." We camped every week-end trough the summer form April till October. We had a Cox Cadet pop up camper, a tent, and a truck with a cover and 2 beds in it. I missed the sports when I was a child, but now, as an adult, I am glad mom and dad made family time to camp more important. Besides, we played ball, waded creeks, went hiking, rode bicycles, and got our exercise while camping. Set your priorities on family time. As a father who lost a 13 year old due to Cystic Fibrosis in 1993, you can never get back yesterday, or last week. The long hours at work, mowing the grass, fixing the house, somehow loose some of their importance when a loved one is gone. Take the time to be with your family, while you still have them.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
we never had kids, so didn't have that as an issue.

but we camp, come rain or shine. rain doesn't keep us from camping. we also camp during non-peak times, to avoid crowds.
i've also built up a lot of vacation time. working for the same employer for so long, so i have a lot of time to burn up and taking it off isn't a problem.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
We do pretty much every weekend (our TT is parked Seasonal nearby to where we live - close enough to drive in for a shift a work - but away from the small city we live in) We also will spend time there through the week sometimes if my wife has a couple days off in a row. On top of that we spend heat waves out there as electricity is included in the site fee's - so we use there electricity and pool to stay cool. I think we had 10 - 12 weekends there plus 2 weeks vacation and a 3 weeks or so where we used it mid week as well.

The grass gets cut by my daughter before we go out, and both girls collect our dogs landmines before as well. House projects wait for off season. So far as money - well the site gets paid in full at the start of the season and we spend on that what we would a cottage for a week. And food is the same whether we are home or at trailer (other than we splurge on junk food)
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Off season house projects, huh? I guess you all live in Sunny SoCal then?

I have windows to put in the house and some exterior painting that is overdue and both require 50F and no rain to do. Haven't seen that but one day since Thanksgiving. And that one day I had to work. Heck, we had 2 inches of snow overnite and I awoke to them plowing the road this morning. Things I would like to have done by now (get the mower ready, cars looked at, gutters checked, pick up the yard, get the garden started, etc) have not been touched. It was 15F earlier this week! (I'm in western pennsylvania folks, not Alaska!)

We have lots of other projects - some have been waiting a decade to be done . Time vs money issues of course. I suppose some an wait another 10 years (till the kids are grown) since as has been mentioned they do grow up fast.

Add in work and there little time left for anything it seems. I heard time goes faster the older you get but this year's been unreal.

Part of our idea was to buy into a resort and get a full hardside camper to keep there - little setup needed, no need to dry it out after camping if it rains (and it always rains some at least), room inside in case the weather is bad we can still 'camp', etc. My concern is finding the time to use it - and this late spring nonsense of late only seems to be compounding the 'honey do' list.

Could be a bit of cabin fever too. Avg high here today is's gonna make 43. Normal monthly rainfall is 3" and we've had .46 already today. Hard to feel I"m falling behind on things and that it will reduce the camping time (or add stress to my life that it's not getting done)
Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
We are lucky that there is a national park right here in our county. Where it is and where we live is either to the west or the east of where hubby works. So we can actually camp, while he is still working a full time job. One day a week he will come to the house after work and mow the yard. I'll normally come up once or twice a week to pick up mail.

Last year the entire month of November and part of December we were camping. That really helped out my count for the year. But then too I was camp hosting, so that was why we were there so long.

Not gotten to go a single day yet this year. By this time last year we already had two weekends under our belt. I kept a record of days kept.

But I know that we are going to set up Easter Sunday and will be there for 14 days. It's Dulcimer time at Cumberland Gap!!!

Can't wait. Having major camping withdrawel.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper
If we are lucky we will get maybe 20 or so. We have a 14 day trip down through Montana, SD and ND then home on the 5th of July. Also have a 3 dayer with the granddaughter to an amusement park in Alberta, 3 days at the treshing bee weekend in sept and a few camping weekends at the house with family and friends that we have an outdoor theatre on a 12ft screen, fireworks etc. Having to look after 16 1/2 acres with 5 to mow, a 400x200 garden etc as well as 3 dogs, 3 birds, 2 cats a horse and are adding a couple more ponies this summer that is about all we can do. Of course need to make time to swim as well.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote