Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
jsk

What we learned from Irene last fall. Though it was not a strong storm it moved extremely slow and the winds were relentless. I will park it behind the house which is the south side and let the house block the north wind. Put all stabilizers down. Beneath the jack pads I put 2 big pieces of subfloor down so if the wind pushes the camper off the stabilizers they will not go in the ground. Irene moved my 5er off of the front jack pads and it sank 10" in the ground. That was a booger to get out. I have read where people tie down there units to minimize movement. Fill your fresh water tank just in case.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

I'm currently parked at a KOA on South Padre Island Texas which is a barrier island on the Gulf of Mexico at the southern most tip of Texas. I'm paid through Sunday of next week and I'm hoping Ernesto will stay away. I was chased off of this island two years ago by Alex under a forced evacuation and I would hate a repeat of that with Ernesto. Since Katrina, coastal communities over prepare (a good thing) to insure the safety of its citizens and move everyone out. I live about 25 miles inland so I will park my TT in my storage building and make sure the insurance is paid.. If the storm turns out to be a bad boy and makes a bee line for me, then I'll board up the house, hitch up the TT and head further inland. Let's pray for the best.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #13

Some randomness...

As mentioned you have a couple of options:
- If you can take some time and go FAR away go for it. Problem with hurricanes is that while slow, they change direction randomly (in a sense). You have to go pretty far away to make sure you're out of the path, and then be prepared to stay a while in case you can't go back. Don't leave at the last minute as you could get stuck in it while trying to escape.
- If you can't go, then make sure your insurance is up to date. You can try to tie it down and whatever, but if you get a good gust it isn't going to matter much. Parking it behind a concrete block wall of a house is only good if it's away from the wind, which usually changes direction as the storm passes over (unless it's just brushing you).

I've lived through almost a dozen TSs & canes while living in central Florida. If your property is well maintained then it's a matter of personal preference to stick around. If it's not, get out and go somewhere else that is. It's not always the strength of the storm, but the duration too. Francis destroyed Cat5 rated structures even though it was only a Cat1, but it stalled for 24 hours at that level.

Oh yeah, make sure you have a generator... Doesn't need to be fancy, but a 2-3kW should run a fridge or two. Also keep in mind that there isn't usually much loss of life during the storm, it's when folks start venturing/cleaning afterwards that the injuries pile up.

Just my toughts. Best of luck to ya
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #14

Set up relative outside area to call with information

If you have family who will try and contact you you should have a relative outside the immediate area that you and others could call about your condition or where about. The person should be up north away for the area.

The reason this is done becaause the local telephone and cell phone towers will be down, damaged or no power. All local calls will be congested because everyone is calling into the area.
If you are calling outside the area the cell phone towers will be less congested.

So find a relative that you can call and let them know what your plans are and where you will be next. Call the rest of the family to call this person to find out where you are and if all is OK.

Hope I made this understandable to everyone.

Here is a great helpful link to NOAA
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/ready.php

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #15

Here is what I was trying to say from FEMA

Here is what I was trying to say from FEMA

Family Communication Tips

Identify a contact such as a friend or relative who lives out-of-state for household members to notify they are safe. It may be easier to make a long-distance phone call than to call across town, so an out-of-town contact may be in a better position to communicate among separated family members.

Be sure every member of your family knows the phone number and has a cell phone, coins or a prepaid phone card to call the emergency contact. If you have a cell phone, program that person(s) as "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) in your phone. If you are in an accident, emergency personnel will often check your ICE listings in order to get a hold of someone you know. Make sure to tell your family and friends that youíve listed them as emergency contacts.

Teach family members how to use text messaging (also known as SMS or Short Message Service). Text messages can often get around network disruptions when a phone call might not be able to get through.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #16

All good information! Looks like I will be contacting family members to have a plan in place. Thanks again!