Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

how to take Direct TV on the road?

OK..Decided to bite the bullet and get a setup to use our Direct service while camping..last trip the POS mushroom antenna on my 19' Grey Wolf wouldnt get a single station..grrr

So I look into Direct-compatible systems and there are cheaper round dishes, slightly more expensive oval dishes, folding dishes(nice) and some that pull in one or more satelites.I even found out that there is an app for aiming the satellites(LOL).

I dont want to purchase a system which will be obsolete shortly..what parts of this matter?I don't have to have HD really..don't think the TT TV is up fr it..
Any help gratefully received..
seawolf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

I have an extra Direct-tv dish so I take that and my receiver from my house and use it when we camp with the RV. I made a dish stand out of a halogen spot light holder, now no matter wear we go I get our home channels.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

I have a dedicated HD receiver and a portable folding dish mount got it off ebay. it takes me about 5-10 minutes from the time I get the dish out of the truck to have it tuned in and running. I use walkies and the DW calls out the signal strength as I am adjusting it or I setup my baby monitor and do it myself. There is a great app for finding the satellites that uses your smartphone's camera and imposes a arc on the screen with the satellite's numbers, it also shows the elevation it is called Satfinder (i use the lite version). It is great if there are obstructions you can move around until you find the "Sweet Spot" where you line up with the arc and there is clear sky.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

We have had issues with DTV not working if we are out of our local area...is there a way to get around that?
bama29fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama29fan View Post
We have had issues with DTV not working if we are out of our local area...is there a way to get around that?
The only thing that should not work is your locals. If you have dedicated receiver and let DTV know it is for your RV, you should be able to just call them once you get where you are going and they will authorize it by the Zipcode. Like I said if you are just taking one from the house you should only lose the local channels those are spot beamed. I have never had a problem with losing my locals though but, have never traveled more then about 250 miles in any direction from home yet.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

dish type?

so does the type of dish matter then if I'm not doing HD signal?

I am attracted to the folding dish available on evil bay just cause of storage considerations

I also see a kit available for local channels
seawolf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

I don't think it matters if you're not going HD assuming your receiver doesn't require an HD dish to work.

If you're not going Direct TV HD then you could even go with one of the portable systems and not need the tripod.

I'm an HD snob though so, I'm all HD or don't even bother. =)
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf71 View Post
so does the type of dish matter then if I'm not doing HD signal?

I am attracted to the folding dish available on evil bay just cause of storage considerations

I also see a kit available for local channels
No it doesn't matter this is what you need all in one about $85 with shipping. DirecTV Portable Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV Tailgating Camping | eBay
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I don't think it matters if you're not going HD assuming your receiver doesn't require an HD dish to work.

If you're not going Direct TV HD then you could even go with one of the portable systems and not need the tripod.

I'm an HD snob though so, I'm all HD or don't even bother. =)
I am that way too even if I am home if it's not HD chances are I won't watch it