Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

How to waterproof side hatch doors?

Hi friends,
We have water getting into our side compartment doors. (Where there is a big storage tray that slides out on either side.) After some investigation we have figured out that it is leaking in through the hinges.
Does anyone know if you can by a drip strip for the outside, or some kind of seal for the inside of the hinges?
This unfortunately is basically the same issue that we have had with the bunk ends leaking.... the water gets in where the hinges are, and in theory it is supposed to drain out but it doesn't. This problem has already cost us $750.00 in repairs to the bunk ends, but I am not willing for the dealership to make any more money from us. So basically I am wondering if anyone has seen a product at camping world, or fixed their own hatch doors in some clever fashion.
Thanks

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

LW,
The compartment door seals are not making good contact between the door and the frame. I've noticed the factory seals are cheaply made and don't last very long. Most compartment door manufacturers use a flat type seal, which don't do a good job of sealing. You may want to replace the flat seal with a bulb type.

Compartment Door Parts
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #3

Thanks Mike,
We will look for that seal.
W

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #4

W,
One place to try is your local Uap/Napa Auto Parts.
The store I deal with handles the Bulb Type seals. If they don't stock'm, they should be able to order them.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote