Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Margo View Post
Just wondering if its needed to replace some of the pink stuff put in the traps during the winter. Does it evaporate out?? Dry out?? The RV is in a storage lot a few miles away. We blew out the lines and put antifreeze in the traps and toilet. Just wondered if it needed "refreshing" during the winter.

Thanks for the information.
If the antifreeze did evaporate, that would leave nothing in the trap to freeze.

Bruce

Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Margo View Post
Just wondering if its needed to replace some of the pink stuff put in the traps during the winter. Does it evaporate out?? Dry out?? The RV is in a storage lot a few miles away. We blew out the lines and put antifreeze in the traps and toilet. Just wondered if it needed "refreshing" during the winter.

Thanks for the information.
Since the traps blocks the smells from the tanks getting in the RV I make sure that couple times during the winter months I pour cup or so of the pink stuff in the drains. I also keep a couple inches of Pink Stuff in the toilet to keep smells from entering the RV and to keep the seal damp.

Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #43

My dumb question

Hi there. This forum helped me in the beginning, looking for a bit of help now. First pop up, Flagstaff Mac 206ST. Silly question...

I have drained the fresh water tank and removed the plug from the water heater. Do I really have to do more? I am not lazy per say, but I am having trouble finding the switches needed to bypass the hot water heater. I mean, i get the fact if it was a perfect world, I would next bypass water heater, turn pump on, and supply anti-freeze through all the lines. But I got stuck at finding the switches to bypass water heater.

Again, much appreciate the help. Loving the pop up.

I live in the mountains of Arizona. It does get below freezing overnight at times, but doesn't stay there all day.

Thanks again.
2005 Chrysler Pacifica (station wagon on steroids)
eitemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitemiller View Post
Hi there. This forum helped me in the beginning, looking for a bit of help now. First pop up, Flagstaff Mac 206ST. Silly question...

I have drained the fresh water tank and removed the plug from the water heater. Do I really have to do more? I am not lazy per say, but I am having trouble finding the switches needed to bypass the hot water heater. I mean, i get the fact if it was a perfect world, I would next bypass water heater, turn pump on, and supply anti-freeze through all the lines. But I got stuck at finding the switches to bypass water heater.

Again, much appreciate the help. Loving the pop up.

I live in the mountains of Arizona. It does get below freezing overnight at times, but doesn't stay there all day.

Thanks again.

Anyway to connect to your wtr. hose inlet and blow out the hot/cold tubing? Any freeze will damage at trapped water sites.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #45

I have always thought the few bucks for antifreeze was cheap insurance. As far as finding the bypass valve, see yur dealer. My dealer runs a yearly seminar on winterization. It took my wife and me about twenty minutes for the whle process

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #46

How to Winterize. The Facts

The bypass valves are adjacent to the hot water heater. Locate it in the outside, then look adjacent to it on the inside. You may have to remove a drawer or unscrew a panel. Better safe than sorry!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 12-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Anyway to connect to your wtr. hose inlet and blow out the hot/cold tubing? Any freeze will damage at trapped water sites.
Not true sustained temps below 32 degrees will cause damage, but a night here and there below 32 will do no damage if the daytime temps get above freezing. We routinely camp wet below ZERO F with modifications and don't freeze up or do damage.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #48

I won't argue that I know how... but I'm pretty sure I know how not to do it... See the thread titled "Lessons Learned" in the plumbing section.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #49

I live in a much colder place than you do and have been camping here since the early 80's with a number of different rvs. A dip to 32 degrees and the following day it get's above freezing will NOT cause damage. If you think it will then I suspect your temp data is incorrect and colder than 32 degrees. I don't even worry about winterizing until I see a night time temp hit the teens when the daytime temps are to be above freezing. It takes some time below freezing for water to expand enough to cause any kind of damage. I have never had one freeze related problem except when we first started camping in the winter while snowmobiling and the temps dipped to 12 below zero F... Your statement that any freeze will cause damage is simply incorrect.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:17 AM   #50

Somewhere it says do not exceed 25 psi to blow out lines.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize