Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
How to winterize the water pump

This will be my first year winterizing my RV. The water pump is somewhat hidden so it would not be easy to connect the RV antifreeze to the water pump input. Instead I plan to manually pump the antifreeze through the city water connection but assume this will not get antifreeze into the water pump so the water pump would still be at risk of freezing. I assume I will also need to pump some antifreeze into the black water wash connection.

Any tips or advice on winterizing would be appreciated.

lucky55616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
On my Ole Mirada, I can set valves so the water pump sucks out of a container, this can be fresh water or antifreeze.. I can also select if the pump sends the water through the plumbing (normal) or into the fresh tank to fill the tank.

You should be able to do something similar. If nothing else, dump the antifreeze into the fresh tank then pump it through your plumbing. (make sure to shut the fresh drain if you do this)

Basically, my winterization goes like this:

Drain everything:

Drain fresh, gray, and black tanks,
Open low point drains, open all faucets
Remove drain plug from water heater, open pressure relief valve on water heater.

Let water drain out

Leave gray and black drains open. They should be clean.
Close all faucets.
Close water heater pressure releif, leave drain plug off.
Close water heater winterization bypass valves, (water will bypass the water heater)

Add Antifreeze:

Use the water pump. Pump antifreeze from either the container or fresh tank.
Open each faucet, one at a time, until pink.
Flush toilet until pink.
Open one of the water heater bypass valves until pink flows from water heater drain. re-close water heater valve.

Dump 1 cup of antifreeze into each drain; sinks, shower, wash machine (if you have one) , and antifreeze into toilet bowel.

Thats it, you should be good.

I wrote a HOW-TO for my Mirada, I doubt it will apply to you, but you might be able to get some ideas from it.

WINTERIZING / DEWINTERIZING | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

pump, water, water pump, winter, winterize