View Poll Results: How would you respond as a driver to a tire blowout?
Hit the brakes hard to stop as soon as possible? 0 0%
Lay off the gas pedal while turning slightly the opposite direction of the blown tire? 17 42.50%
Press accelerator slightly for a short distance to maintain control and stay in your lane? 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

How would you respond as a driver to a tire blowout?

Saw this and thought I would pose the same question here with the same answers that were on the site I saw this at.

tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Saw this and thought I would pose the same question here with the same answers that were on the site I saw this at.

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Lets go camping!

i picked the second one but i would try to just maintain on the road as long as possible till i could slow down and stop.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #4

Let 'er coast, take corrective steering to counteract yaw and drift to the right shoulder with minimal braking.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Let 'er coast, take corrective steering to counteract yaw and drift to the right shoulder with minimal braking.
I agree. I never heard of accelerating, although it does make sense, but I hate to add any energy to a possible collision. I definitely disagree with his statement that you can drive on a blowout as long as you want after the vehicle is stabilized. Great way to start a fire.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #6

Wear your seat belts. Remember that this video is for driving a Motor Home. Only four wheels to worry about. Most RVers have a pull type trailer. The position of the 'blowout' will determine your action. I have been a professional Licensed driver for over 45 years. And I have had a few blow outs over the years. The more miles on the road, the more chance it will happen. They can come fast and with no warning what so ever. This is a reminder on why it is good to keep both hands on the wheel at ALL times. Speeding up is not the first thought that comes to mind in a blow out situation... Maintaining control and keeping the tow vehicle and trailer straight are the most important. Letting off of the gas pedal is a natural occurrence and imo the best solution 'most of the time', NOT speeding up quickly or slamming on the brakes.... Either one of these actions is asking for very bad things to happen. Maintain Your Lane.... and proceed to slow down until you know that you have absolute control of your vehicle. Changing lanes and slowing down to fast to 'get to the shoulder', could easily jack knife or even flip one (or both) of the units on it's side. Once you are back in control of your 'train' and have not 'hit' anyone and no one has hit you, put your flasher on and gently pull to the shoulder, as far as you can as you will need to work on your unit. When pulling off the driving lane, keep the units as straight as possible because the blown tire is becoming one massive mess and you want to keep the damage to you and other drivers as low as possible. Once stopped, take some deep breaths and check your mirrors. Look for smoke or fire from the blow tire and have a plan to put it out. DO NOT just jump out of your vehicle really fast to inspect the damage... You could very easily get hit by traffic. The damage is done and you can not 'go back' to a time before.... stop fretting about 'what you could have done...'. Stuff happens, life happens... set about making everything and everyone safe. Get your people away from the damage units to a safe area. call the none emergencey HIghway patrol number.... unless there is an emergency, then call 911. A blow will cause damage, know this and do not stress about it. Your main thought now is how to get back on the road.

I do run Tire Minders, but a massive blow out or lug bolts shearing off will not 'show up' on the monitor until it is to late to do anything about it... Been there... done that... Hazards are everywhere and we can only keep them to a minimum... kiss your wife and hug your children, for we are never guarantied tomorrow.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

Well, last summer I had a steer tire blowout on the interstate. Drivers front tire blew out. The DP immediately veered to the left, suddenly, I had the left side of the coach in the grass on the highway median (I was in the right lane). This was one of those slow-motion events - it seemed to take a long time, but it was happening very quickly.

At first, I tried to correct with brute force on the steering wheel and letting off the accelerator. I could not get control and continued to veer left. That's when I remembered to give it all the power I had. Floored the accelerator, and that's when I felt control return. After I got control back, I was able to let up on the accelerator, get fully back on the highway and then maneuver to the shoulder and brake to a stop.

You have to think about it from a physics perspective. When the tire blew, it caused the forward energy to veer towards the blown tire. If I hit the brakes, or even just let up on the accelerator, the sideways force would have stayed or even worsened. By giving it power, I was able to return momentum to being forward and regain control in my "altered" configuration. Remember, we're not driving corvettes here... Stomping in the accelerator for a few seconds does not cause a significant increase in speed.

So, this approach may not seem intuitive, but it works! My entire family was safe and damage was minimized by using this technique.

I saw this very video a few months before this trip. It reminded me that we covered this topic at Camp Freightliner. I also periodically think about "what would I do if..." while I'm driving. I credit all of this to making me react appropriately when the blowout occurred.

ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire