Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Hurricane Florence (merge of several Hurricane Florence Threads)

Good afternoon! I am new to the RV world. Bought our Solaire the first of June. We store her (Salty, since we're from the coast) in our driveway beside our storage building. My question is as Hurricane Florence heads straight towards us, we're located in Wilmington, NC. We are not planning on leaving. So what is the best way to help our RV, Salty, whether this major hurricane? Slides In, would seem the best? But do you tie RV's down? A kiss and a prayer and double check our insurance coverage? Any advice would be great for us newbies!

Thank you
Rjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

I too live in hurricane country. Last summer when Harvey loomed we packed up the trailer and headed west. Even though my area was spared the worst of the damage, I'm glad I made the decision as we were much more comfortable at our full hookup RV park then my friends who stayed and lived without power for up to a week.
I know you made the decision already, but if that thing gets as bad as they are saying and is headed your way, I can't stress enough that it's just a good idea to evacuate. I don't know if this is your first storm, but riding out a monster like that is bad news. As far as your trailer goes, do what you can to secure it, including turning it so the prevailing wind won't hit it broadside, but a Cat 4 will win that battle. After Harvey I saw triple-axles and Class As scattered like children's toys in Rockport.
I'm not one to preach, but if your in the path it's just smart to bail. That's one of the reasons I bought my trailer, and I won't hesitate to use it again. Good luck either way.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

Since it’s tucked into a neighborhood, the worst thing I see happening is if a tree falls on it. I suppose you could fill the FW tank to the brim, as well as all the grey tanks. That’d add some weight down low. You may need that fresh water, depending. The grey tanks can just be dumped after the storm.

......and make sure your insurance is paid up......
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #4

Hurricane Florence

Need advice

It looks like I’m in the path of the storm, the question is should I leave the camper at my house or move it. I could move the camper but with all the rain that is expected there is no way I’ll be able to get the camper home. In case the power is out for awhile. It would be great if I could live in the camper. If I stay should I hook the truck to the camper. Right now the weather service is calling for winds of 150mph coming ashore, I live seventy miles from the ocean
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #5

Jimmy, hook up and leave!!!
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #6

Hook up and go inland. Worst case you camp out for a while and can head back home leaving your camper at a site for a bit to check on your home. If all is well you bring it home too. If not you can plan from there what to do next based on what happens.

Stay safe!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith52 View Post
Jimmy, hook up and leave!!!
X2

Hooking that trailer up to the truck isn't going to give it much stability. If you're worried about it turning over at home, you'd be better off with tie down straps over the top. However, strong winds will probably tear it apart no matter what you do.

Having been through Harvey and the evacuation for Rita which killed more people than the storm, follow your ems directions (unless you have a medical condition and then use your own judgement)
Old 09-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #8

If you go. Go south and leave NOW.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you go. Go south and leave NOW.
Yep Go south or southwest towards Atlanta and take enough supplies to be gone a couple of weeks. This thing is supposed to stall over central NC and dump a whole bunch of rain in areas around us(I've seen reports of 15" or more). You know how bad the flooding was for Matthew and Floyd, this one will probably be just as bad.

And if you decide to go, probably would be best to leave soon. No matter what stay safe!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Did you all read the part where he is 70 miles inland??

Gotta wonder what the expected winds at his location are?
How much does a hurricane weaken 70 miles inland??
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

I know exactly where he is at. I live about 35 miles southeast of him. You can never "assume" winds will dissipate with these storms. You can have Hurricane force winds for for many many miles from the eye. My area record 100 mph winds during Floyd and it made landfall 60 miles south of us.

Every hurricane is different, you can never, ever assume "something" will happen a certain way. This one is "supposed" to weaken pretty quick and become a HEAVY rain maker for the center part of the state.
BUT a week ago they sad it wouldn't come anywhere near the U.S.... so no one knows what is going to happen until it does.
Be prepared, be safe, be smart.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
How much does a hurricane weaken 70 miles inland?
According to the net "Hurricane-force winds can extend outward to about 25 miles from the storm center of a small hurricane and to more than 150 miles for a large one"

If you get hurricane winds and it either stalls or moves over your area slowly, those winds will slowly tear a house apart (usually starting at the roof).

Hopefully Florence will make a turn toward the open seas and this will just be a preparedness drill, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

One can only hope that spock123 has left by now or is hurricane prepared (although one can never be really prepared for the uncertainty of a hurricane)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
According to the net "Hurricane-force winds can extend outward to about 25 miles from the storm center of a small hurricane and to more than 150 miles for a large one"

If you get hurricane winds and it either stalls or moves over your area slowly, those winds will slowly tear a house apart (usually starting at the roof).

Hopefully Florence will make a turn toward the open seas and this will just be a preparedness drill, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

One can only hope that spock123 has left by now or is hurricane prepared (although one can never be really prepared for the uncertainty of a hurricane)
Well said!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #14

You need to hook up and leave. You appear to be located where Florence will come ashore. Almost no way to fully protect your RV and more important yourselves. Leave now!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
Insert witty title here

Everyone knows it's coming. You have had more than adequate warning. If you stay and get into trouble, I hope the rescue teams that come to save you hand you a very large bill for their services.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #16

You can wait and become part of the Problem! Take it somewhere safe, you may need it while your Home is Rebuilt! Youroo! !
Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Everyone knows it's coming. You have had more than adequate warning. If you stay and get into trouble, I hope the rescue teams that come to save you hand you a very large bill for their services.
Some peoples jobs require them to stay in harms way so let's chill a little with that line of thinking please.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Some peoples jobs require them to stay in harms way so let's chill a little with that line of thinking please.

You know the people I'm talking about.

- The random homeowner who thinks they can ride it out just fine,

- The idiot who decides to go kite surfing.

- The family on vacation who think the empty beaches are a perfect place to picnic

etc etc

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
You know the people I'm talking about.

- The random homeowner who thinks they can ride it out just fine,

- The idiot who decides to go kite surfing.

- The family on vacation who think the empty beaches are a perfect place to picnic

etc etc
Yes I do....the DW and I and several of my friends have to deal with them....BUT blanket statements are never the thing to do. With anything in life, let alone the internet.

We would already be set up in a campground somewhere in Northern Alabama by now if we could!

Peace to all and I hope everyone makes it out of this healthy and safe.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #20

We live in Durham, NC maybe 175 miles inland. During hurricane Fran we had 60mph winds, 10" of rain in 8 hours, hundreds of large trees blown down and power was out for 6 days. I understand if they must stay, okay. But for anything other than a 100% compelling reason everyone should leave.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg