Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Hurricane Florence (merge of several Hurricane Florence Threads)

Good afternoon! I am new to the RV world. Bought our Solaire the first of June. We store her (Salty, since we're from the coast) in our driveway beside our storage building. My question is as Hurricane Florence heads straight towards us, we're located in Wilmington, NC. We are not planning on leaving. So what is the best way to help our RV, Salty, whether this major hurricane? Slides In, would seem the best? But do you tie RV's down? A kiss and a prayer and double check our insurance coverage? Any advice would be great for us newbies!

Thank you

Rjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

I too live in hurricane country. Last summer when Harvey loomed we packed up the trailer and headed west. Even though my area was spared the worst of the damage, I'm glad I made the decision as we were much more comfortable at our full hookup RV park then my friends who stayed and lived without power for up to a week.
I know you made the decision already, but if that thing gets as bad as they are saying and is headed your way, I can't stress enough that it's just a good idea to evacuate. I don't know if this is your first storm, but riding out a monster like that is bad news. As far as your trailer goes, do what you can to secure it, including turning it so the prevailing wind won't hit it broadside, but a Cat 4 will win that battle. After Harvey I saw triple-axles and Class As scattered like children's toys in Rockport.
I'm not one to preach, but if your in the path it's just smart to bail. That's one of the reasons I bought my trailer, and I won't hesitate to use it again. Good luck either way.

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

Since itís tucked into a neighborhood, the worst thing I see happening is if a tree falls on it. I suppose you could fill the FW tank to the brim, as well as all the grey tanks. Thatíd add some weight down low. You may need that fresh water, depending. The grey tanks can just be dumped after the storm.

......and make sure your insurance is paid up......
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #4

Hurricane Florence

Need advice

It looks like Iím in the path of the storm, the question is should I leave the camper at my house or move it. I could move the camper but with all the rain that is expected there is no way Iíll be able to get the camper home. In case the power is out for awhile. It would be great if I could live in the camper. If I stay should I hook the truck to the camper. Right now the weather service is calling for winds of 150mph coming ashore, I live seventy miles from the ocean
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #5

Jimmy, hook up and leave!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #6

Hook up and go inland. Worst case you camp out for a while and can head back home leaving your camper at a site for a bit to check on your home. If all is well you bring it home too. If not you can plan from there what to do next based on what happens.

Stay safe!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith52 View Post
Jimmy, hook up and leave!!!
X2

Hooking that trailer up to the truck isn't going to give it much stability. If you're worried about it turning over at home, you'd be better off with tie down straps over the top. However, strong winds will probably tear it apart no matter what you do.

Having been through Harvey and the evacuation for Rita which killed more people than the storm, follow your ems directions (unless you have a medical condition and then use your own judgement)

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #8

If you go. Go south and leave NOW.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you go. Go south and leave NOW.
Yep Go south or southwest towards Atlanta and take enough supplies to be gone a couple of weeks. This thing is supposed to stall over central NC and dump a whole bunch of rain in areas around us(I've seen reports of 15" or more). You know how bad the flooding was for Matthew and Floyd, this one will probably be just as bad.

And if you decide to go, probably would be best to leave soon. No matter what stay safe!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Did you all read the part where he is 70 miles inland??

Gotta wonder what the expected winds at his location are?
How much does a hurricane weaken 70 miles inland??

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-72
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg