Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Hurricane Harvey

Glad we decided to not visit Port Aransas next week
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Glad we decided to not visit Port Aransas next week
Probably the best decision you've made in quite a while!

Watching the Weather Channel now, looks like Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the coast line of Texas sometime Saturday with winds in excess of 100mph.!
Rain to be 10" to 12", storm surge to be unreal - 6 to 10'!!
TWC is saying that even 30 to 40 miles inland might not be enough distance to be out of danger.

As for inland as San Antonio could be effected by the rain & wind and flash flooding.

For those with good cell phones, 2 apps I use are ~ "My Radar" and "STORM". Both are free and well worth having them on your cell phones.

I hope everyone stays safe and manage to get out of the way.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Yeah...Port Aransas may not be there next week! We're in the Houston area, and they are talking scary kinds of rainfall totals. They just "fixed" our drainage ditches that we have never had problems with for the past 11 years I've lived here. I will be watching them with great interest.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Yeah...Port Aransas may not be there next week! We're in the Houston area, and they are talking scary kinds of rainfall totals. They just "fixed" our drainage ditches that we have never had problems with for the past 11 years I've lived here. I will be watching them with great interest.
Don't think it's just the 'rain fall' that's going to be the problem maker ~ they're saying winds well in excess of 100 mph and storm surge between 6'to 10'.
Sure hope you've got good insurance and high ground!
Been watching forecast & winds will be all the way up around Dallas by Saturday. No telling where all that mess will end up.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

We live in Florida, but our RV insurance company emailed to make sure we knew about the impending hurricane. They want folks to move or protect their RV's. I think it was a great idea. That will help keep rates down, if they can prevent damages or loss.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Anyone in the path needs to heed warnings and be careful. These storms are nothing to play with. Living on the east coast and have been through lots of storms and hurricanes in the past they are something to contend with. Take care and you are in my prayers.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

Even living in land the hurricane can affect you. We don't live on either coast, but the rains loosen tree roots, the winds bring down trees and their limbs, which bash in roofs and take out power lines, and tornadoes can be spawned. Anyone in the path needs to prepare for loss of power for one week at the least. Ask us how we know, several times over.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #8

I know everyone can't (and some won't) get out and move to safer grounds, a few just won't listen. Even though I'm in northeastern Vermont, we've been having a lot of straight line winds this year ~ LOTS of wood down everywhere!

Up here, you learn to survive or become a victim as stuff hits the fan year round and when you least expect it! Where I'm at, absolutely no local radar, television and few radio stations ~ everyone just repeats what's on the national news. THAT"S the reason I utilize STORM and My Radar on my cell phone.
3 1/2 yrs in Iceland taught me to watch and pay attention to the weather ~~
Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Even living in land the hurricane can affect you. We don't live on either coast, but the rains loosen tree roots, the winds bring down trees and their limbs, which bash in roofs and take out power lines, and tornadoes can be spawned. Anyone in the path needs to prepare for loss of power for one week at the least. Ask us how we know, several times over.
Yep. We were 60 miles inland when Hugo came in. Trees down, roofs missing and power out for a week.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote