Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
King of the Road

I actually did half of what you're wanting to do. I love the stand alone table and chairs, but the chairs, while nice weren't really working for me. I replaced the 4 chairs with 2 padded storage ottomans. Even though they don't have a back to lean on, being padded they are a more comfortable seat. And they are more functional as the inside person can get out by spinning around and the outside person doesn't have to move. At least it works for the young ones, us oldsters ya still gotta get outta the way for And since the ottomans don't have a back to lean against, if needed someone can lean against the slide wall or the sofa sleeper. Also have a couple of stadium chairs that can be used on the ottoman for back support if really needed. There is great storage space in these, one is used to store my cookware (the one closest to the kitchen) the other to store the sheets, comforter and pillows for the sofa sleeper. Frees up some space for other things elsewhere.

And I do what others have stated, a queen air mattress fits perfectly in front of the refridg, pantry and between the dining table and counter. It will sleep 4 little ones or 2 big ones.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #22
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Oh, I should add we bought this 32' camper for the TWO of us. There are no accommodations for anyond else, except the Jack knife sofa, which is sbout as comfortable as a bag of bricks. You want to go camping with us? Fine....tents are cheap!!
Sofa sleepers do not have to be uncomfortable. Here's what I did:

First, you need a new mattress, best I think is 5" memory foam. Try to find one as close in size as possible, but you will need to trim one side and one end a couple of inches probably. Now for a lot of people this should fix the problem with the bars that everyone usually feels with sofa sleepers. But not for everyone. I have a buddy that goes with us that is 6'4" and 250 lbs, another that is not tall, just 300lbs fat. when we go with one or the other with their wives they will sleep on the "pull out". The memory foam on it's own, while and improvement, isn't enough so here's what I used:

1/2 in. x 2 ft. x 4ft. Medium Density Fiberboard-1508108 - The Home Depot

2 pieces of this fiber board with 3 inches trimmed off one side will fit together perfectly under the memory foam mattress. No more bars to feel while sleeping. And as a convenience, after folding in the sleeper, place these boards one on top of the other on the fold out, place the cushions on top and you're good to go.

My ex-bro-in-law went with me one time and said he was dreading sleeping on the pull out but just figured he would "rough it" for a couple of days. On the way back he said he got a better nights sleep every night on my sleeper sofa that he gets in his bed at home.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
Site Team

Here's another vote for making good changes that works better for you. Of course it doesn't hurt to consider how a change will impact future buyers but go for what works for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Sofa sleepers do not have to be uncomfortable. Here's what I did:

First, you need a new mattress, best I think is 5" memory foam. Try to find one as close in size as possible, but you will need to trim one side and one end a couple of inches probably. Now for a lot of people this should fix the problem with the bars that everyone usually feels with sofa sleepers. But not for everyone. I have a buddy that goes with us that is 6'4" and 250 lbs, another that is not tall, just 300lbs fat. when we go with one or the other with their wives they will sleep on the "pull out". The memory foam on it's own, while and improvement, isn't enough so here's what I used:

1/2 in. x 2 ft. x 4ft. Medium Density Fiberboard-1508108 - The Home Depot

2 pieces of this fiber board with 3 inches trimmed off one side will fit together perfectly under the memory foam mattress. No more bars to feel while sleeping. And as a convenience, after folding in the sleeper, place these boards one on top of the other on the fold out, place the cushions on top and you're good to go.

My ex-bro-in-law went with me one time and said he was dreading sleeping on the pull out but just figured he would "rough it" for a couple of days. On the way back he said he got a better nights sleep every night on my sleeper sofa that he gets in his bed at home.
The girls have jobs / families/ summer homes and no longer go with us. Bought this 5er built for 2. We would welcome anyone that would like to visit but would prefer they not get so comfortable they want to extend a stay or make a habit of it.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #25
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The girls have jobs / families/ summer homes and no longer go with us. Bought this 5er built for 2. We would welcome anyone that would like to visit but would prefer they not get so comfortable they want to extend a stay or make a habit of it.
Dump the sofa sleeper and replace with the double heated theater seats with cup holders. Toss a sleeping bag or blanket to your guests. If it's raining they can choose the picnic table or 5th wheel for shelter.

Guarantee after the first time, it won't be a habit of theirs

Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Dump the sofa sleeper and replace with the double heated theater seats with cup holders. Toss a sleeping bag or blanket to your guests. If it's raining they can choose the picnic table or 5th wheel for shelter.

Guarantee after the first time, it won't be a habit of theirs

Shhhhh-- we have the seater seats with cup holders that recline also. Picnic table sounds good for company. Not sure under the 5er pin though as they may snore loudly. Might even tell them the awning automatically retracts at midnight. They could cuddle to the hitch in the bed of the truck though. Extra firm!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm guessing that at home, it wasn't his mattress that was giving your ex-BIL trouble, it was your sister! Or vice-versa.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #28

I went with dinette in my TT not for extra sleeping space but for the storage. I figured I lost my shirt the day I took it off the lot, so I have done the things that make my camping easy for me and the trailer system more operational with no thought to resale. My advice is go with what makes you feel good and camping easy.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #29
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm guessing that at home, it wasn't his mattress that was giving your ex-BIL trouble, it was your sister! Or vice-versa.
Prolly why he's my ex-BIL [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk