Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Question Hypothetical Weapon question

I was giving some thought to perhaps, but probably not, buying a shotgun to carry with me since I do most of my cross country trips alone. My faithful companion, the psycho border collie, would just invite someone in as long as they gave her a cookie. So, hypothetically speaking of course, since I would never even consider doing anything that might vaguely be considered outside the law, given the legal ramifications of all that, would I need to declare said weapon (the one I am only hypothetically thinking of buying) at campgrounds, particularly the MWR facilities I tend to stay at? More than likely, it would never come out from under the bed where I might store it if I felt inclined to purchase it which of course I won't, but that being said, do I tell anyone I have it, even if I don't????????

Thanks for the thoughts that you might or might not have.

Michelle (and Mark) Welch, Texas
Rotor the psycho border collie
First time RVers, retired Army CW4 helo pilot
Ford F250 4x4
Prime Time Crusader 320RLT Touring Edition
2013 days 7
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Due to the recent shootings, we (the moderators) have had to close several threads regarding guns because they got way off topic. Being said, we are now being careful with approving any kind of thread referring to guns.

The moderators have reviewed this thread, and decided that it is within the parameters of the forum rules………for now.

This is a thread on the feasibility and legal ramifications on carrying a shotgun in the camper while traveling. It is not a thread discussing pending government regulations, what we think should be done, personal gun ownership thoughts, nor is it a thread on when to use a gun.

The team will monitor the thread carefully, and close it if we think it gets out of line. If someone posts with blatant disregard of our rules, then appropriate measures will be taken with that member.

Here is a link to our rules:

More specifically, the rules on gun postings: General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

After contacting the OP via PM that we were going to review the thread before approving, I got the following response back which might help further explain her position. (I have permission from Michelle to post the PM.)

I understand completely. I am totally lost as to how to deal with this issue because I get no straight answers. But as a woman traveling alone it is becoming more frightening. And I have to do the I10 route to California along the Mexican border in April and my husband said absolutely not without a weapon. But with weapons being a hot button issue, I totally and completely understand. Thanks! Michelle

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
A close friend of mine is a police homicide detective. He advised me to get a pump shotgun for home defense. He said just the sound of a round being racked into the chamber would deter a burglar from from proceeding further. This would work if you were safely locked in your trailer at night.
If I were you, I'd have a short-barreled shotgun in the trailer for night protection.
And I wouldn't say squat to anyone about it. (Don't ask - don't tell)

Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
I do understand with the world we live in........
Hard to comment on..... Laws will be different in all states keep in mind may campgrounds do not allow weapons (guns)......... If you declare it to them they will probably ask you to leave or not have it with you.....
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
2016 Freedom Express 28SE
2013 Expedition EL

Days Camped 2016 - 35
Days Camped 2015 - 20
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Best thing to do is check the local laws because they vary so much state to state and even city to city (New York???) Can't say much more than that and stay within forum parameters. Most law enforcement understand civilians protecting themselves as long as they stay within the law.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
A resource that I have found helpful is "The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" by Kappas. I've got the 2012 copy but its been updated for 2013. Lots of useful information on reciprocity, how to travel with firearms (including shotguns of course), Castle doctrine, and so on.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Remember that MWR facilities are normally on government facilities. Most weapons have to be registered on that installation for them to be brought onto it. I agree with the don't tell. Also your RV is treated like your home in most cases when it comes to defense.
2011 F350 Lariat Ultimate Dually 6.7 w/ B&W Companion
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
2016 Explorer Platinum, 1998 Mustang
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
I would just say make sure you are properly trained w/ any weapon you might use, and if you choose a shotgun, use a light load, not buckshot or a slug. They both will go through several walls, possibly injuring a bystander or your faithfull companion. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
I personally would go with a handgun. Easier to handle, store, etc. And then I'd adhere to the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. What they don't know can't hurt them.

2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
Closed Thread