Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Always Learning

Hypothetically- truck dies while mid-trip, how do you move your fifth wheel?

Does the trip come to a stop until the truck is repaired/replaced?

Do you want a (who freaking knows)?

Hire a shipper on U-ship?

I need to know! My baby got her learner’s permit and we only have the one vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5051.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	212181
Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
llr

If I was full timing like you I would probably just stay in the area until it is resolved. May need to find someone to move it to another site/campground depending on availability.

Then just rent something to use while waiting.

Need to get back to the office is more complicated
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Coach

We were at Holiday Sands on the Outer Banks, NC two summers ago when a toy hauler was pulled in to the spot next to ours. TV unhooked and left leaving behind a happy couple that I just had to talk to out of curiosity. Turned out their truck broke down on the ride down about 90 miles from the campground. AAA hauled the truck to a local mechanic and the rv to the trailer park. They had a Harley in the toy hauler they could get around on til the truck was fixed, which was only a couple days.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #4

What does you baby having a permit have to do with your truck breaking down?

And yes... the trip comes to a stop if your truck breaks down. Fix or buy a new one and get your baby one also... then you will have a spare truck....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Does the trip come to a stop until the truck is repaired/replaced?

Do you want a (who freaking knows)?

Hire a shipper on U-ship?

I need to know! My baby got her learner’s permit and we only have the one vehicle.

Attachment 212181
Oh I feel for you Doug. My youngest is in drivers Ed for a few more weeks then gets his learner's permit. I have actually been working with him since he was 13 so he is in a good place experience wise.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
What does you baby having a permit have to do with your truck breaking down?

And yes... the trip comes to a stop if your truck breaks down. Fix or buy a new one and get your baby one also... then you will have a spare truck....
I think Doug is being a gracious father in his choice of words. I fully understand what he means.

BTW Doug, that's a great pic of her. Tell her she must get her mom's looks.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

Ooooh such a pretty girl! Never mind the truck - I see many late nights in your future lol!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Always Learning

Thanks everyone. Yes, she gets her looks from her Momma but man does she get her sarcasm, wit, and humor from me. Makes me want to club her from time to time! I’ve long said I couldn’t live with me... and now I have 2 mini-mes.

And yes- the boyfriend stage. We entered it. She dates the son of an ex-fulltime family. We stopped in the area they’re living in and he has his license. It was a hard pill to swallow to let her go on a date where he drove off with her! Boys are dirty.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
It was a hard pill to swallow to let her go on a date where he drove off with her! Boys are dirty.
Sounds like he may not ever want to accept an invitation from you to go hunting pythons in the Everglades. Lol

Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
Site Team

So, back to your hypothetical question. We actually had it happen. Luckily we were close to our destination. What did we do. Called the local RV dealer and asked them if they'd come get it and tow it to their yard and we'd pick it up later. Even offered to pay them to tow it.

Guess what? Yep, they came and got it and towed it to their yard and we picked it up and went on our way when the truck was fixed. They didn't even charge us for towing it.

Yeah, we bought our next RV from them!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #11

MAN !!! I thought I was the young guy out here. My youngest of 4 is....30 this year and I'll have my fifth grandchild in February. Now I'm feeling OLD !!!

How bad is the truck Doug ? Time to retire it ? Find a dealer that will make a double deal...one for you and one for her.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
MAN !!! I thought I was the young guy out here. My youngest of 4 is....30 this year and I'll have my fifth grandchild in February. Now I'm feeling OLD !!!

How bad is the truck Doug ? Time to retire it ? Find a dealer that will make a double deal...one for you and one for her.

Ha! My younger kid is 7. Brute of a boy. Has made me rethink everything I thought I knew about child-rearing.

Fortunately, this is all hypothetical and more of a lark on my kid getting her learner’s permit and learning to drive on the sole vehicle we own that pulls my house around!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
Site Team

The upside to this Doug, is once she learns on that big truck, she will be able to drive most anything after the fact.

Unless she is like my daughter who cut her teeth in my 2500 Ram. She says she will never own a truck. She's had two Honda Accords since then.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #14

find a local rv park or campground and strike up a conversation with the owner of another trailer who has the vehicle to help you - for some cash, of course, though they'll probably do it out of the 'bond' between RVrs... you never know.

There's many things you can do to overcome a perceived 'situation' that you have a worry about, but the chances are you'll never have such an issue.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The upside to this Doug, is once she learns on that big truck, she will be able to drive most anything after the fact.

Unless she is like my daughter who cut her teeth in my 2500 Ram. She says she will never own a truck. She's had two Honda Accords since then.

This is about the only time I wish it was a manual transmission. I learned to drive on Toyota clutches and always said that if you can drive that, you can drive most anything out there.

It was really nice when my girlfriend’s mom had a Toyota Supra with a manual transmission. That thing was fun to drive!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #16

Not so hypothetical. A few years ago our truck broke town on I-5 in northern Cal. Good Sam sent two rescue vehicles, one with a 5th wheel hitch and the other was a roll back. While waiting I called the closest Ford dealership (30 miles north) to let them know what was coming. The trailer was towed 30 miles south to the campground where we had a site reserved, and the truck was taken to the shop. Repair took 2 days which left us with the question of getting 60 miles to the shop to pick up the trailer. No rental cars in the area, so we found a taxi for the 60 mile commute. Trailer and TV were reunited. Obviously this could get much more expensive if the truck needed to be replaced or required major repairs, but things do happen on the road and full-timers as well as the rest of us need to follow the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared." There's always a solution, but it might be very expensive.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
This is about the only time I wish it was a manual transmission. I learned to drive on Toyota clutches and always said that if you can drive that, you can drive most anything out there.

It was really nice when my girlfriend’s mom had a Toyota Supra with a manual transmission. That thing was fun to drive!
I hear you. I have hired employees who cannot drive sticks and when one comes in the shop either I or the customer had to pull it in.

I cut my teeth on my brother in law's 1970 manual three on the column gm truck and my sisters Toyota.

It is a less common breed of vehicles than of yesteryears, and honestly I don't miss them. Prefer the automatic all day everyday.

What would be fun and probably show the generational gap, is to have like an undercover hidden camera tv show and stock a car rental business with vehicles only with manual transmissions. It might be fun to watch how many couldn't drive one and their facial expressions when they get in.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #18

Truck stopped dead

Happen to us on I-95 in Flagler Beach area. Road service sent two trucks, one to take our truck to a repair facility and one to pull our 5th wheel to a local campground. Stayed 4 days while they replace the fuel pump. Picked up the truck after $800. and it quit again driving back to the campground. Two more days and they figured it was a grounding strap. No credit for the mistaken fuel pump replacement.

2003 Silverado. 160K miles. Due to rust, we no longer have it.
jayandmarji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It is a less common breed of vehicles than of yesteryears, and honestly I don't miss them. Prefer the automatic all day everyday.

The night in snow and ice that it took me 3+ hours to drive 60 miles, I never wanted another manual transmission.

I then used that car for a week with a 55 mile round trip in stop and go traffic for commuting to work.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
Site Team

The only time we ever broke down while towing a trailer was while we were literally leaving the campground on a Sunday.

We had a Suburban and were pulling a pop-up. The problem turned out to be the battery in the Suburban. Luckily the CG owner was nice enough to drive us to a local parts store to get a new one.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, truck, wheel