Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

I am at a loss

I live in California where to LEGALLY drive a motor home over 40 feet a non-commercial Class B license is required. I am aware that most people that should have one, don't. I want to be legal, but I am at a loss as to how you learn to drive a motor home and obtain the required license without buying the motor home first and driving it illegally. My problem is that I have ordered a motor home from a dealer in Florida. My intention is to get the proper license, go to Florida, and bring it back to California and register it (and pay more sales tax). I have already gone through the nightmare of getting the instruction permit so I can legally drive with a licensed driver to learn and then take the driving portion of the test. I am willing to go just about anywhere in California that has a drive testing site nearby to take a class and practice the driving requirements of the driving test. Does anyone have any ideas or know anyone that has been through this because it is not easy to comply with the law! It is pretty clear that there are not a lot of us because the DMV is completely clueless, all the way to the top. Anybody have any suggestions????
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #2

Look at your community college vocational tech training for truck driving classes or look in the phone book or google.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Look at your community college vocational tech training for truck driving classes or look in the phone book or google.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

I have googled and there are organizations and people that will train you, but you must have your own RV. I have looked into renting, but the cost is a bit steep for just driving it for a few hours and not actually living in it - $300 a day with a 3 day minimum). And I have yet to see a rental over 40 feet in my area and that is what I will be required to test with. I am not sure I have time for a community college class or that a truck driving class will meet the needs that are specific to the motor home driving test. I do appreciate you offering suggestions though.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

I don't think you'll have to pay sales tax twice. Every time I ever bought a vehicle out of state I didn't have to pay tax on it until I registered it in Georgia. If the dealer is taking sales tax then beware of be scammed (why wouldn't that surprise me since you are dealing in Florida).
Old 11-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #5

California Class B is not vehicle specific as far as RV versus bobtail truck, which you would need a Class B to drive. A course through a truck driving school for a Class B usually includes the driving pratical test which satisfies DMV. You would only need to take the written at DMV.

I went through this years ago. I brought the driving certificate in, took the written and got my license.

2016 Forest River Wildwood T27RKSS
2010 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab PSD
Shady camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady camper View Post
California Class B is not vehicle specific as far as RV versus bobtail truck, which you would need a Class B to drive. A course through a truck driving school for a Class B usually includes the driving pratical test which satisfies DMV. You would only need to take the written at DMV.

I went through this years ago. I brought the driving certificate in, took the written and got my license.
What I need is a non-commercial Class B license and it is specific to what California refers to as a license for a "Housecar over 40 feet." It must have been different years ago, because it is not the same now. I am REQUIRED to bring a motor home over 40 feet to take the driving test and have a licensed (can be commercial class A, non commercial Class A or non commercial Class B) driver with me.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

Must have changed then... I found this on DMV. Required for over 45 feet.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...648/dl648pt4_1

2016 Forest River Wildwood T27RKSS
2010 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab PSD
Shady camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I don't think you'll have to pay sales tax twice. Every time I ever bought a vehicle out of state I didn't have to pay tax on it until I registered it in Georgia. If the dealer is taking sales tax then beware of be scammed (why wouldn't that surprise me since you are dealing in Florida).
And what is it about dealing in Florida? Why would you post something to alienate all us good Floridians?
People always complain about Florida drivers but truth be know most of them are not from Florida. They are snowbirds or from Georgia...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #9

Quote:
We are not paying sales tax twice. Florida and California have a reciprocal agreement. Florida will be collecting their 6% tax and sending it on to California on our behalf assuming we follow through and register it there. California sales tax is 8% where we live, so we will owe an additional 2%. That is all the sales tax we will be paying in California when we register it. Between the two, it will be the same as what we would pay if we bought it in California.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:

Yep, that is it. It is for over 40', and 45' is the maximum allowed length for a motor home in California. So, basically it is for anything between 40'1" and 45'.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:

This explains it more clearly.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl648/dl648pt2
Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #12

If you want to go cheap, in NC you can go learn how to drive a school bus and get your class B license. You don't ever have to drive the bus except when you take the test. The first license you have to pay for but the bus driving class is free. If you can drive a bus you can drive anything

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post

What coach did you buy. They say my coach is 40'. But it is actually registered as 39' ??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #14

In North Carolina you can get a Class A non commercial driver license without taking a road test. All you have to do is score higher on the written test. I use to drive tractor trailers with a Class A license, just good for in state driving

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

In PA you need a CDL for anything over 26001 pounds, just went thru this with a friend that bought a 36000 pound diesel pusher. I went with him to NY to pick it up, spent a couple of weekends training him on pretrip, driving skills etc and then he took his test. PA requires written (computer), skills test and then a road test
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
I bought a cargo trailer in Wisconsin and paid sales on it there. When I plated it in Michigan all I had to pay was the difference between the two states which was 1.5%. Dang, Michigan was higher.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
What coach did you buy. They say my coach is 40'. But it is actually registered as 39' ??

Russell
Correct. The number in the RV model number rarely is its actual length.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote