Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

I am Impressed

About 6 months ago I bought 2 Champion 2000i generators with the 30amp interface cord. I fired em up and hooked em to the 5ver just to see how they worked they worked just fine. I drained the fuel and put em in the garage.

Every year I go to this High School Reunion of sorts. It is every class through '79 from a school in Homestead Florida that opened in the 50's on a guys ranch/farm in North Florida it is about 1.5 hours from me. The reunion is next weekend Thursday-Sunday. I have been going up for one day prior to the event to help set things up. This year I decided to go for 3 or 4 days to help and just stay in my 5ver. So Monday morning I headed up there with 5ver. I took one of the Champions and 6 gallons of gas with me as he only has water hookups. I filled up the generator and Monday evening around 5pm I fired it up so I could watch TV and run the inverter to keep the battery charged as I was was running the furnace. Damn thing ran 12 hours on ONE gallon of gas did the same thing the next night too. Watching the weather it is supposed to rain there all day today so I drove back yesterday left the 5ver there (with the generator ) for next weekend. Last year I had borrowed a Honda 2000i and to be honest it wasn't that much quieter and used more fuel. I am very happy with my Champions.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #2

That's nice to know, as I will begin shopping for a genny in the very near future. Thanks for the post RickV!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

I like the way the Champions stack on top of each other when you get the 30a kit. They are substantially cheaper than Honda's and according to the manufacturers db numbers, not all that much louder. I realize Honda engines are one of the best, but for an occasional genny user, I think the Champions would work just fine. Champions are frequently discounted through many suppliers and reconditioned units are typically 50% off original list price. I have not seen Honda's discounted that heavily anywhere. it would be interesting to hear from a Champion user that has owned one for several years and uses it a lot to see how they have held up.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

I think I paid around $850 w/free shipping for both with the 30amp interface from ebay. They are reconditioned. I have a belief that reconditioned is better then new because when they are assembly line built no one person is responsible. When reconditioned usually one person has gone through it and it is their job to make sure it don't come back again. I buy reconditioned stuff a lot. Trying to find a extended run kit that will work with them so I don't have to refuel every 12 hours

I did a fair amount of research before buying them and the positives out weighed the negatives. Except from the if it's not a Honda it can't be good camp.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I think I paid around $850 w/free shipping for both with the 30amp interface from ebay. They are reconditioned. I have a belief that reconditioned is better then new because when they are assembly line built no one person is responsible. When reconditioned usually one person has gone through it and it is their job to make sure it don't come back again. I buy reconditioned stuff a lot. Trying to find a extended run kit that will work with them so I don't have to refuel every 12 hours
totally agree with your opinion about reconditioned items, for the same reasons.

you can't beat the Champion 2000w units for price and features. Champion has an excellent rep in the RV community and great customer service.
if i were buying one, i'd also consider the new Champion 3100w model.
but i already have a Honda 2000w but might sell it and buy either Champion units for what my Honda would sell for.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Northern has them on sale right now.

Category 5 Inverter Generator — 2000 Watt, CARB-Compliant, Model# 73537i | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

My original yellow 2000i with silver legs now has 5 or so years on it and about 750hrs...that I am sure of as I didnt add an hourmeter for several months aftet I got it. It has been pretty beat up to say the least....as long as I run it dry and dont try n store it with fuel it comes back to life every year no problem. I had it serviced once about 2 years ago and I do my own basic maintenance yearly. I also own 2 of the newer ones with the 30amp cable, as well as a remote start 4000 open frame, (with only 30 hrs) which I will most likely sell since I i just got a almost new honda 6500i from a gent who owed me . I like the Honda its a great machine but its a BEAST ...I recently had bilateral rotator cuff/labrum repairs so my lifting is limited....the champs are much lighter!!..I camp with a lot of Honda/yama owners and though they give me grief for owning the "banannas" never has one said they didnt get the job done and were quiet doing it. Ive also used champ warranty for something . I BROKE and they quickly fixed me up no problem. ...

If champ made a larger 5000+ watt remote start inverter model I would have one no questions asked....

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote