Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #41
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Have had a Garmin for the car for several years. Very happy with it. Just bought a Garmin RV760 because of the back up camera. I wired the camera to my running lights for power. That way, I can see what's behind me without having to go into reverse. Should be handy for making sure I've completely passed someone before I move back into the lane.

Tuckerdog1
How do you switch from RV mode to camera?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #42

You apply power to the camera. As soon as the head unit detects the camera signal, the display will switch to the camera view. When you don't want the camera view any more, either turn its power off or, once it comes up, there is a touch-screen button to dismiss it and go back to the map view (and once you've done that, and if the camera's power is still on, there will be a button on the map to switch back to the camera).

This is why you want to wire the power to the running lights... If you're traveling down the road in daylight, to see what's behind you just flick your lights to the running light position and then back off once you've seen what you wanted to see.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #43
Chief tinkerer

I like Garmin GPS and I like it on a large enough screen that I can glance over and verify which of the two right turns 30 feet apart I am supposed to take. Pioneer makes a good in dash unit that has Garmin that will be looking back at me from the hole that the Jensen came out of, if the Dealer can't get the gremlins out of it.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #44
Summer2Go

Tuckerdog, that sounds like a real good idea for me. I re-learn RV stuff all over again every summer, and knowing if I've passed someone is a real issue. I just thought it would help me back up the trailer without help.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #45

I’ve had both the Tom Tom and Garmin GPS. The Tom Tom was more user friendly but I’ve found that the help function on the Garmin usually straightens me out when I can’t figure out how to find what I need.
The GPS is invaluable but I never rely on it blindly. It will route you into some places you had rather not visit.I use both a foldup map and GPS to plan my trip beforehand.Often I find a route on the map that I prefer to what the GPS is suggesting and adjust the GPS route to the way I want to go.I also mark out the route on the map and use Google maps to print out some of the more critical directions/intersections.Call me anal but I don’t like putting my family in dangerous situations.

Tags
back up camera