Old 08-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
MCTroy

I broke the window

I had this posted in the Windjammer forum, but we are still trying to figure out a broken window. Actually, the window is fine, it is the latch that won't work.
We have the no frame black windows that crank out. While opening our small dinette window, I turned the handle hard. The little wheels on the 2 arms of the latch popped out of the track. They are refusing to go back in!

The track is intact on the window. We dont seem to be missing any parts. We thought about changing out the latch with the handle and 2 arms with wheels on them. Nope. Can't figure out how to remove it!

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_094638.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	212305   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_093049.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	212306  

MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
MCTroy

No help? Am I the only one to break this window latch? ☹

Old 08-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

I think you need to take the window off. Might be a screw holding it from sliding off the top track. Take the screw out slide the window off then slide it back on while sliding the bottom crank arms back in the track at the same time.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
I think you need to take the window off. Might be a screw holding it from sliding off the top track. Take the screw out slide the window off then slide it back on while sliding the bottom crank arms back in the track at the same time.
Thank you! This is what we were considering doing. It looked like the arms need to be inserted at the end if the window track.

Not an easy fix. Bet I don't force another window open!
Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #5

I had the latch fail and the window open at 70 mph on I80. When I finally got the parts to fix it from FR I discovered that I had to drill out the pop rivets to change the parts replaced them with bolts, lock washers, and nuts. I also adjusted the length of the stopper piece in the channel to let it open farther. I now place two clamps on the inside knob to make sure that the window can not open by it self while on the road.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
MCTroy

We saw those pop rivets and were concerned about trying to drill those out. If I could get this latch out, I would replace it with the handle type on the emergency windows, or just seal it shut permanently. Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

I had one of the rollers out of the track in our second season but for the life of me I don't remember how I got it back in. I guess that's a sign of things to look forward to in my future.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

There is a spot in the middle where the wheels should fit in (a cutout to allow them to go in).

I *THINK* that you un-screw the stopper screws in the top track (that the window pivots on--on the outside). This would allow the window to move left/right to the opening. Then slide it back and forth to fully capture the two wheels, putting them into the slot in the middle. then put the screws back in the upper window channel.

I don't have pictures, and I'm actually only *guessing* that's how it's done.

I have a window with busted wheels. Need to order a replacement latch. If I had the measurements of the wheels, I'd 3D print a set, but alas, I do not.

Anyway, did any of that make sense?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #9

Try a search for Frameless window repair, there are several threads on this type of issue and others pertaining to the window crank failing itself.
Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
Indi the Camping Havanese
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #10

Cool

I too have the frameless windows. The first time I tried to open I almost twisted the handle off and the window would not budge. I went outside and gently tugged all around the edge of the window. I could feel the window unstick from the rubber trim. Now I find I have to do this to most of the frameless windows. The rubber trim seems to stick to the window over the winter when not in use.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I had this posted in the Windjammer forum, but we are still trying to figure out a broken window. Actually, the window is fine, it is the latch that won't work.
We have the no frame black windows that crank out. While opening our small dinette window, I turned the handle hard. The little wheels on the 2 arms of the latch popped out of the track. They are refusing to go back in!

The track is intact on the window. We dont seem to be missing any parts. We thought about changing out the latch with the handle and 2 arms with wheels on them. Nope. Can't figure out how to remove it!

Any suggestions?
this might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XtT98KLXrMA
Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #12

broken window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
No help? Am I the only one to break this window latch? ☹
No you're not. But mine is on an '05 Surveyor and the little wheel on the end of the arm broke. Does anyone know where I can but a replacement?
Thanks, Paul
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
MCTroy

Tc cruiser, thanks! The video is what we need. I tried a search on RV window repair but not frameless. That was the key.
Thank you for the post.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #14
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
Try a search for Frameless window repair, there are several threads on this type of issue and others pertaining to the window crank failing itself.
I did try searching the forum with zero success. The search feature if the forum isn't the easiest. But we have our answer now. I should have searched YouTube. Seems everything is out there!
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #15

MCTroy
Glad it helped. Looks easy too.
TC

Tags
window