Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant

one of the things that they drill into your skull, in the Fire Service, is to do a walkaround. same thing occurs in the Trucking Industry.

we're drilled over and over to do a walkaround before you ever move the engine. you start at the driver's door and go completely around until you're back there.
you get used to looking for anything out of the ordinary. the instructors would often do something to see if you caught it.

so, when i got our first HTT, i had this already as a reflex/habit. i never pull or unhook the trailer until i've completed a walkaround.

so, it's a good idea to establish this as a routine for yourself. some may have a checklist they follow every time.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #12

Sorry to hear about this...

If it makes you feel better did this last year to our brand new rig on our first camping trip... (Miss judged a swing into a site and hit a 4x4 post)

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
one of the things that they drill into your skull, in the Fire Service, is to do a walkaround. same thing occurs in the Trucking Industry.

we're drilled over and over to do a walkaround before you ever move the engine. you start at the driver's door and go completely around until you're back there.
you get used to looking for anything out of the ordinary. the instructors would often do something to see if you caught it.

so, when i got our first HTT, i had this already as a reflex/habit. i never pull or unhook the trailer until i've completed a walkaround.

so, it's a good idea to establish this as a routine for yourself. some may have a checklist they follow every time.
I hope your walk around includes locking/blocking the wheels.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:

been doing this same thing for ever. I pull the trailer to the end of our road (1mile) and before I get on the main road I get out a walk around it again, wife is like DID YOU NOT LOOK AT IT ALL READY???

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Industry standard is "goal" get out and look.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #16

If nothing else, hopefully someone can learn from my mistake.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Site Team

Ouch! You seem to be taking it well, but you are in good company here. I have dimples in both sides of my truck bed from the fiver and truck contacting in odd turns. Makes me sick. Hope you recover soon.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #18

One thing for sure – You’ll never let it happen again!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I hope your walk around includes locking/blocking the wheels.
yep, that's a biggie! all fire engines have wheel chocks and you're required to make sure the wheels are chocked when running the pumps or the minute you park the engine upon arriving on scene. the engineer chocks the wheels and then picks them up, during the walkaround, before leaving the scene.

we had a "poser" part-time guy, who really only wanted to tell people he was a firefighter, but not really learn how to be one.
he ended up, due to his refusal to retain any training, running the backup engine in pump and then forcing it into gear, while he was standing outside of the engine.
it took off on him, driverless and crashed into 3 trucks that were parked across from the fire station.
he actually watched as the engine rolled up and over both axle chocks, standing there frozen and not remembering all he had to do was hit the big red button on the outside throttle!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #20
Oklahoma Proud

Op, that sux!
Guess that shows how expensive real education is! College don't teach ya about that!
Honestly, ive hooked up goosenecks numerous times and forgot to latch the ball, after raising the jacks. Luckily they were always empty and I never got very far, but it will probably get me one day :/

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!