checklist, checklist, checklist!
use one, use one, use one,
always, always, always!

BUT--we're all human

1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Site Team

We have all had our moments like this. It's hard on the self esteem. Easy to do and only takes a moment's distraction or inattention.

Maybe this will make you feel better. I was working on our car in the garage. Went inside for a tool. Came back out. No car. It rolled out of the garage, down the driveway, and smashed into my neighbor's car across the street. Left it in neutral with no parking brake . . . .

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #23
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Hate to hear this happened to you, but THANK YOU for sharing your snafu with us.

It's a perfect reminder and hopefully prevents us from making the same mistake.
I agree 1,000%.

Just this trip, I went to unhitch in haste and almost forgot to chock the wheels.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #24

My purpose of the post was just that. A simple reminder to help prevent this happening to someone else. Many people have said it, checklists and routines, but it only takes one simple oversight. I think I was just excited to move it from its parking place to open it up and check her out good before our first trip next week.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Talk about routine, I have mine and get those who want to stop and talk while you are pulling in is when the trouble starts. Takes you out of the routine and then trouble. Please, Please, wait til someone gets set up before you start yacking. Hate to be rude, but stay away unless you see a problem and then yell at them to stop. Biggest possibility of accidents were not waiting til someone gets set up before heading over. Distracting from routine.
Great point. Same goes for when people are hooking up to leave. Leave them alone and say your goodbyes after you're sure they have completed their routine.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

In aviation it's called "sterile cockpit" . Simply do not disturb or speak to the pilot in command until the aircraft is safely on the ground and parked. Another reason that "check lists" are essential in flying as well.
Sorry to hear of mishap. Looks minor, just feels real dumb. Thanks for sharing, and will very likely prevent others doing the same.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #27

Yesterday I almost did something just as bad as not chocking the wheels. Landing gear was down, pulled the hitch lock lever, got in the truck and started to pull forward when I looked in the mirror to watch the unhooking process when I noticed the tailgate still up.

I know better..... just got in a hurry.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #28

My wife, without saying anything, but I can tell, thinks I am nuts for double checking everything every time we set up and tare down. Dont feel bad got a couple of stories for you, first one of mine, and second one a saw happen.

First mine. Got in late to a site, it was dark. My wife was tired, starting to rain. I chocked the wheels, unhitched, put down the stabilizers, set up trailer, wife went in trailer. Was in a rush, jumped in truck, went to pull away, and BANG OH CRAP!!! What was that. Jumped out only to find chains still on. Scare the living stuff out of my wife. Found out the wheel chocks work well!!!

Second story. Sitting at camp site. Watched a guy pull in with tent trailer. Really was not paying attention. Saw him unhook. Then all i heard was screaming. He was pulling hard on the trailer tongue but was not winning. Trailer rolled down the hill and into the lake.

So it is not as bad as you think.
Camped 2014 - 23 days
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by masarost View Post
My wife, without saying anything, but I can tell, thinks I am nuts for double checking everything every time we set up and tare down. Dont feel bad got a couple of stories for you, first one of mine, and second one a saw happen.

First mine. Got in late to a site, it was dark. My wife was tired, starting to rain. I chocked the wheels, unhitched, put down the stabilizers, set up trailer, wife went in trailer. Was in a rush, jumped in truck, went to pull away, and BANG OH CRAP!!! What was that. Jumped out only to find chains still on. Scare the living stuff out of my wife. Found out the wheel chocks work well!!!

Second story. Sitting at camp site. Watched a guy pull in with tent trailer. Really was not paying attention. Saw him unhook. Then all i heard was screaming. He was pulling hard on the trailer tongue but was not winning. Trailer rolled down the hill and into the lake.

So it is not as bad as you think.
That is one way to find out if your trailer can swim....
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #30

Accidents happen. In our first season with our 5'r last year I wrecked the front storage door to the basement by driving from the Campsite back to our storage yard with the tailgate down (we even crossed the border from the US to Canada like it...). I was blissfully unaware that the tailgate was down! I have a routine of checking and double checking before pulling out of the campsite. However, I stopped to put the recycles in the bin at the exit of the CG. I didn't check.. My fault!

Don't be too hard on yourself, lesson learned. I bet it never happens again.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote