Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

I Don't Think We Can Do This

My wife and i have been living in our Rockwood 8314ss since May. We sold our house and waiting for our new one to be completed, we are going NUTS. It looks like we will not retire and live in an RV, but still use it for camping. We were suppose to settle around the end of August but our builder is behind, about two weeks we are looking at the middle of September. For those that are enjoying retirement and traveling in an RV i wish you well and glad you can adjust We are not retired and i have about 10 years to go yet, but maybe then the idea will change.

By the way both my wife and i have lived in Maryland all of our live and raised our family here, my son just came out of basic trainning for the US Army and he is headed to Germany this coming Saturday for two years and we will not see him for his 21st birthday, and my daughter will heading to DC for a job, so my wife and i are moving to PA and this is where we do most of our camping.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #2

Wade it's good to see your still kickin' and the 8314 is holdin' up.

Sorry to hear about the delays on your new house. I know the middle of Sept seems a long way off right now.
I'm with you about Full Timing. I love to camp and love our trailer, but I don't think I could live in it year round. Are you able to get away to that cabin very often?
Good luck to you and keeps us up to date on how things are going.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Wade, Hope we get to camp together when you get up here.
It is a great place (currently) to be retired to.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Hey Wade hang in there. It may seem like it's far off but it will be here in no time. Have to agree with you about full timing. It's nice to get away from time to time but I'm not sure I want to be away all of the time! Are you still going to Bingo at the Boring Firehouse?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wade it's good to see your still kickin' and the 8314 is holdin' up.

Sorry to hear about the delays on your new house. I know the middle of Sept seems a long way off right now.
I'm with you about Full Timing. I love to camp and love our trailer, but I don't think I could live in it year round. Are you able to get away to that cabin very often?
Good luck to you and keeps us up to date on how things are going.
Hey Gary how is it going?, I am still kickin. For the last two week and next week we will be at the camper my son leaves Saturday for Germany for two years then we will start going back to the cabin in Hershey. I have been wanting to do the repairs on the walls of the camper but just been busy with the construction of the new house.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Wade, Hope we get to camp together when you get up here.
It is a great place (currently) to be retired to.
Lou, that sounds like a great idea, we are moving to Hanover PA. Once we move in and get settled and get some internet service i'll look you up.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Hey Wade hang in there. It may seem like it's far off but it will be here in no time. Have to agree with you about full timing. It's nice to get away from time to time but I'm not sure I want to be away all of the time! Are you still going to Bingo at the Boring Firehouse?
Hey Charlie how's it going? Bingo was something we do in the winter just to pass the time a way until camping season started. My wife was the big winner with winnings over $500 in one weekend night.

One thing about full timing, one has to give up just about everything that one once had, i like you have tons of tools so it is something to think about long and hard and this is a good position to be in just to see what it is like to have to give up most of what you own, but this is something one would have to want to do.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Wade, if you need to give up that snow blower with the heated handles, well I guess I could help you out.

I don't really have a use for it. I just thinks that's one cool snow blower!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wade, if you need to give up that snow blower with the heated handles, well I guess I could help you out.

I don't really have a use for it. I just thinks that's one cool snow blower!
The snow blower is in storage, i think i may need it more so now that we are headed a little farther North.

From reading your post on how hot it is there i bet you would like some snow right about now.
Our highest temps reported so far this summer was 106 in Baltimore. Stay cool
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #10

Wade I remember some of the snow pics you posted. I hope you don't get much more than that. If you do figure out a way to send some this way, I'll take it!

Tulsa updated the forecast, high today 112º and 114º tomorrow. They do have us a couple of degrees cooler though. I think we're around 30 days of 100º+ temps and it's been almost twice that long since we've had a good rain.

In S.W. OK and parts of Texas they are around 50 days of 100º+ and no rain.

This is one hot summer and it's sure put a dent in my camping.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #11

I tend to think retiring and traveling and so forth is waaauy different than living in a trailer, working and waiting for a house to be built. Depending on the state of the economy and everything else in the future, I was wanting to check out being a campground host somewhere in the southeast doing stays at different national forests and state parks.

We built a house last year and the waiting is the hardest part especially toward the end of the process. I will tell you one thing. I love the mountains. Born and raised in Florida and decided to quit my job, buy a business and move to the Smokies. Living here in a house is nice, dont get me wrong but it is waaay different than coming here on vacation. Part of me is jaded by it all. I have work to do, kids have stuff and the idea of just camping all the time, going hiking every weekend and so forth is just that...an idea. Life happens. I wish I could do those things more often, especially camp and hike. I wonder if that is the case when one retires...we have an idea in our head and then there is reality.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
Villa Estate 392FLFB

that is SO true! we thought we would be enjoying the campfire every night, cooking and drinking out side and so forth under the awning but in reality ive used the awning 3 times and the fire pit maybe 5 times... so much to do, too little time and $$$
Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #13

Same thing here guys. I can have a hook in the water less than 30 minutes from the house. Friends and family think that's all I have to do.
Just like everyone else, I work, I've got grass to cut, I've got home projects, personal errands and appointments, etc.....
It's not as easy to get away as most people think.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #14

Your comments are all so true, live is sort so enjoy all the free time you can make......There is a song that came out some time a go, if you get a chance lpay attention to the words the name of the song is " Cat's In The Cradle" by Harry Chapin
Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #15

Sorry you're having a hard time. Wishing a speedy finish on your house!!!

My husband has been talking about full-timing when he retires. I'm not looking forward to it. I like to cook/bake tooooooo much and the trailer kitchen just doesn't cut it!
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote