Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #1

I fixed my generator!

I've posted a few times on here about the deep depression and near panic I was swept into when my generator would no longer start. I was invisioning THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in repair cost.... Ugg..

Well, after all the troubleshooting I did in order to identify the "simple" fix which included but was not limited to, checking and filling the oil, topping off the propane, cleaning the air filter, checking for spark, removing and cleaning the spark plugs, checking for blown fuses, testing voltages at the coil, tracing countless wires looking for breaks, using an external 12V supply to test the operation of fuel valves, relays, etc... I was finally able to fix the problem.

I did it all with 1 finger, in our storage facillity, wearing a shirt and tie from work, and holding a dog.... Did you know that a generator will not start if the propane sensor inside the coach is turned off? I didn't... I do NOW though! I looked down, "huh? look at that, the propane detector is turned off... how 'bout that" [click]. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. beeping stopped, little green light is on... "Heck, I've tried every thing else...why now." [click RRRRWRWRWRWRWRRW VAROOOOM!!!! lulululululuulululul] "well I'll be ding-danged..."

So! There it it. I fixed my generator. Thanks to everyone here for thier suggestions and simpathy in my time of need... I'm pretty sure that someone did, in fact, suggest the checking the propane sensor but I dissmissed it as crazy talk I'm sure...

Anyway, thanks everyone and now I can nuke a hot pocket while hurling down the road...

Brian
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepilot_3ck View Post
I've posted a few times on here about the deep depression and near panic I was swept into when my generator would no longer start. I was invisioning THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in repair cost.... Ugg..

Well, after all the troubleshooting I did in order to identify the "simple" fix which included but was not limited to, checking and filling the oil, topping off the propane, cleaning the air filter, checking for spark, removing and cleaning the spark plugs, checking for blown fuses, testing voltages at the coil, tracing countless wires looking for breaks, using an external 12V supply to test the operation of fuel valves, relays, etc... I was finally able to fix the problem.

I did it all with 1 finger, in our storage facillity, wearing a shirt and tie from work, and holding a dog.... Did you know that a generator will not start if the propane sensor inside the coach is turned off? I didn't... I do NOW though! I looked down, "huh? look at that, the propane detector is turned off... how 'bout that" [click]. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. beeping stopped, little green light is on... "Heck, I've tried every thing else...why now." [click RRRRWRWRWRWRWRRW VAROOOOM!!!! lulululululuulululul] "well I'll be ding-danged..."

So! There it it. I fixed my generator. Thanks to everyone here for thier suggestions and simpathy in my time of need... I'm pretty sure that someone did, in fact, suggest the checking the propane sensor but I dissmissed it as crazy talk I'm sure...

Anyway, thanks everyone and now I can nuke a hot pocket while hurling down the road...

Brian
Yes it usually is just a case of "the TV needs to be plugged in to work" I hope you have someone driving for you while you go back to "nuke a hot pocket while hurling down the road"
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #3

It's easy to think a detector is just a detector, not a flow control. So it's not very intuitive if someone didn't explain it to you.

I think we all have a few of those A'ha! moments. The 2nd time I was trying to deploy my slides they wouldn't go. After a few minutes of panicking that my new motorhome was broken and I was already 400miles from the dealer I realized I needed to turn the engine off I know I've had a few dozen other moments I've chosen to forget.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #4

Excellent news! And now you're an expert in generator maintenance!
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
: I hope you have someone driving for you while you go back to "nuke a hot pocket while hurling down the road"
Heck no! Cruise control my friend, and I just bungee the steering wheel to the shifter, as long as the road is straight, I'm good!

Brian
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Excellent news! And now you're an expert in generator maintenance!
Already added it to my resume...

Brian
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
It's easy to think a detector is just a detector, not a flow control. So it's not very intuitive if someone didn't explain it to you.

I think we all have a few of those A'ha! moments. The 2nd time I was trying to deploy my slides they wouldn't go. After a few minutes of panicking that my new motor home was broken and I was already 400miles from the dealer I realized I needed to turn the engine off I know I've had a few dozen other moments I've chosen to forget.
Yeah, I was surprised because all the other propane stuff in my coach still worked. Oven, heater, stove, fridge, water heater, propane toilet seat warmer, JATO (ya know for those short on-ramps) etc... It all was still working. Why would it single out the generator?

I'm just so releaved that it's not going to cost me a fortune to fix.

Brian
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepilot_3ck View Post
Heck no! Cruise control my friend, and I just bungee the steering wheel to the shifter, as long as the road is straight, I'm good!

Brian
I know of a stretch of highway heading south out of Ely NV, where you could do that. When we got on that stretch a few years ago my wife said "good god, I can see where we will be in an hour" It was so deserted and straight that we made two driver changes without even pulling over (I don't condone or advocate this practice kids...)
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote