Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #1

I guess the stories are true (about Camping World)

I bought my 1st TT almost 2 years ago, and have had a couple services performed at my local Camping World (Lake City FL). They've been great, so I read horror stories about other peoples CW experience with skepticism. In June I bought new tires and valve stems at CW-Lake City. While in Hendersonville NC just six weeks later I had a valve stem fail, and it was leaking air from the core. I called CW ASHEVILLE (which is in Hendersonville) and told them I just purchased the tires from CW, and asked them if I came by could they fix it today. They told me I would need to schedule an appointment for 2-3 weeks down the road.
FOR A FREAKIN VALVE-STEM???? ON TIRES CW JUST SOLD ME???? ARE YOU KIDDING??? They were not kidding. I went to Walmart - they replaced the core and sent me on my way (free of charge). Think twice before buying at CW of Asheville, that's the kind of service you can expect folks.
FLTBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Or Camping World anywhere. I have read enough horror stories, I will avoid the place like the plague.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

Glad to hear y'all won't be at Camping World. Less folks to get in the way of my shopping there!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #4

Valve stems cause more tire problems then so called china bombs . go to steel stems and eliminate one major source of tire failure
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

I'm not really sure why you'd think that you'd have to stop by any rv dealer, anyway... you have a tire issue that any small mechanic or shop can handle easily.... I'm not sure 'banging' CW just because they don't have time to get to your simply fix when they have RVs backed up out the door, is the right thing to do - do you really expect them, or any dealer, who DID NOT install your tires, to really just drop everything and tend to only YOUR needs? How would you feel if YOUR RV was put on hold because they had to 'tend' to everyone else that drove in after you WITHOUT a scheduled appointment?

All of the CW's we've stopped at in all our travels have been kind and easy to work with... but I also don't expect them to necessarily put me ahead of anyone else that was already there - as, I'm sure, already waiting patiently themselves. I've also stopped at other 'dealers' who could not help for days or weeks - that's the nature of the business. I don't come online here and bash them just because they have a lot of business, especially when my own 'issue' may not 'really' be RV related.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

I had a similar experience at Belle Tire. I bought all my tires there and the latest set cost me $900. When I needed a flat fixed I brought the tire in and was told 2 hour wait. 2 hours for a 5 minute job. Asked for a manager had him review my purchase history and suggested that small jobs like fixing a flat should have a tech ready whenever. The tire was fixed in less time then it took me to complain. It's all about customer service something that is lacking today.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #7

To FormerFR; in regard to your position that they didn't sell me the tires, and, do I expect them to tend to only me. The answer is YES they did sell the tires (camping world is camping world) and Yes, I would expect that they would take care of me. I wouldn't mind waiting, but at least look at it. Not just blow me off...
And Lastly, I didn't think I had to go to camping world, but I was on the road and was only about six miles from CW, and most tire shops are not equipped or experienced in dealing with TT's. I know, I know, a tire's a tire. But most tire shops don't even have space for me to pull into. Nuf said, just a poor attitude toward customer service.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

Oh by the way, yawl can pick apart what I posted and accuse me of attacking C.W., but honestly I was just warning those who might think about buying there what to expect.
I don't live there and MY Camping World has been great. So I am being honest....
Old 08-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

Better place to shop for tires

Walmart has a much better rep for customer service.
Harry1drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
2003 Georgetown 325

I, too have finished with Camping World for ANY repairs. I will not go into why but suffice it to say I'm tired of having work poorly done and having to return to get it done again at $129.00/hr!!! They didn't even offer to reimburse me for the same job that was done incorrectly!
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #11

I'm hoping much of the volume of Camping World negativity I've read about here and on other forums is because most will take the time to complain over time to post positive experiences.

The small dealership a mile down the road from me where I purchased my coach from was purchased by Camping World a few months ago. I believe they were targeted because a new Loves Truck stop was completed on my I-75 exit 6 months ago and this dealership had purchased 68 acres next to Loves to expand/move. Several of the now Camping World employees are customers of mine and from what I am told, Camping World is building a new facility on the 68 acres at the beginning of the year and it is supposedly going to be their largest location. They are putting in at least 30 service bays.

I haven't needed any service/repairs yet (that I haven't been able to do myself). If customer service is good, it would be nice to have a large facility just over a mile down the road. I know a few of the current mechanics/service people and they do good work.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
Walmart has a much better rep for customer service.
Talk about a low bar to hurdle.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Site team notice:

Just a reminder to anyone who may not have noticed the stickied thread at the top of the sub-forum.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...al-142711.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #14

Campers World Cust Service

We bought a Rand McNally RV specific GPS on line from Campers World May 11th before leaving on a 3 month trip in June in our 35 foot class A towing a car. My navigator hated it and in fact routed us on a very non-friendly route to Yosemite. Had we taken the Rand Mc route like our kids in their car and the road signs directed we would have likely hung up the coach on the severely undulating road, instead traveling on the camp recommended route. We did not have the packaging and were well outside the 30 day electronics return policy but stopped at a Campers World in Liberty Lake Washington on August 4th. They took it back for a full refund no questions asked and i was able to find the plumbing piece needed as well. Kudo's to CW we are a customer.
lngfela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #15

CW of Asheville

I live in Hendersonville NC and can attest to how bad the CW here is. But, when I got in a jamb in Charleston SC that CW worked me over pretty good so I guess they are all the same. Too bad.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
How would you feel if YOUR RV was put on hold because they had to 'tend' to everyone else that drove in after you WITHOUT a scheduled appointment?

All of the CW's we've stopped at in all our travels have been kind and easy to work with... but I also don't expect them to necessarily put me ahead of anyone else that was already there - as, I'm sure, already waiting patiently themselves.
Touché. This is akin to being waited on at a store when the phone rings and the clerk doesn't say to the caller, "hold on, I'll be with you in a moment."
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #17

Camping world is no better or worse then most other dealers . i would use none of them rotflmao
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #18
Lifesylers

Stories of Camping World

Yep, I will bash them! Took the MH in for Windshield replacement, had appointment, was going out of the country for 2 weeks and would not require use of my MH for 3 plus weeks. Returned back to the states, discovered they just moved it into the bay the same day I returned! I am pissed off, you would be also. Ok, few days go by, I call to check on it, seems they broke the new windshield installing it. Now have to wait until another is shipped in. Now 2 weeks later I have new windshield. Yea! Guess what, discovered that during the now almost 2 months, my home has been used as personal living quarters or special break times. This was discovered after leaving the lot and driving away on our road trip. My grey and black tanks are always empty and flushed after road trips. We use this almost every weekend. Black tank was full, grey close to max. NO TP left on roll. Bathroom and coach filthy, I figured it would be from shop dust etc. Check this out....A big bonus left in my drawer...A almost new womans multi-color bra. Size, extra extra large. Now, this is not the first I have heard of camping world using your bath when left for service. Now have heard from 2 others, one guy left their waste behind on the parking lot. NO TO CW!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTBIRD View Post
T The answer is YES they did sell the tires (camping world is camping world) .
Before I gleefully dumped my CW Starcraft trailer, I had it at 3 different CW locations trying to get a speck of decent service. (unsuccessful) What I learned, though, is that CW is not CW. Especially when it comes to their financial structure. When it comes to funding, service pricing and warranty repairs, you will find that your CW location may not at all be tied to, nor the same as another CW. At all. I was really surprised to learn that.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #20

Fredfran

When buying mechanical parts from CW, check to see when the part was manufactured if possible. We purchased a set of rear shocks for our motorhome. When they failed within five months of purchase, we tried to have them checked through CW by the manufacturer for defects. We were told by the manufacturer that the shocks we bought from CW had been discontinued four years prior and replaced with another number and they would not check them. CW gave us our failed shocks back.
thehamrtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping