Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

I learned an important lesson this weekend - roof cleaning

Two weeks ago it was perfect weather to clean my roof. Dawn and Camco rubber roof cleaner. Roof came out great. The next several days we had very hard rain followed by 4-5 days of 90+ degree weather.

Evidently I didn't get all the residue off the roof when rinsing and/or didn't get all off the sides. Washing, spot cleaning with an all purpose cleaner did nothing.

The entire camper was like this. Just baked on,

The only thing I found that worked was machine polishing. I'm a recreational detailer and have the equipment and product to fix this myself. So I spend Friday afternoon, 5 hours Saturday, and 3 hours today machine polishing the entire camper. I used a one step product with a cleaner and wax so as I was cleaning I didn't have to wax it afterwards. Granted it looks better than the day we bought it. I never ever want to do that again.

Not sure why the photos are rotated

Here are a few pics of the results.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

Yeah I did the same thing. Guess I'll read the warning in the directions next time. Oh yeah, don't need to do that now.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

When we got our TT with a rubber roof, the manufacturer recommended using Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the roof. Cleaned great.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Been there done that. Best defense is cleaning your roof a couple times a year and sealing off any leaking seams in the drip rails. We always wash the roof first and then wash/wax the trailer. Usually once a year we will need to touch up with the buffer and compound. That is usually in the spring after the trailer sits all winter. We wash/wax every spring and fall and use mequiars spray on quick wax. We have been known to cut time and effort by going to the blue beacon 5 min from our house. This year we have our own pressure washer so I can control the pressure and where it does and does not get sprayed. Your trailer is looking good, take pride in it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Been there done that. Best defense is cleaning your roof a couple times a year and sealing off any leaking seams in the drip rails. We always wash the roof first and then wash/wax the trailer. Usually once a year we will need to touch up with the buffer and compound. That is usually in the spring after the trailer sits all winter. We wash/wax every spring and fall and use mequiars spray on quick wax. We have been known to cut time and effort by going to the blue beacon 5 min from our house. This year we have our own pressure washer so I can control the pressure and where it does and does not get sprayed. Your trailer is looking good, take pride in it.
I used the Meguiars spray wax also. I had Murphy's oil soap but decided last minute to used the rubber roof cleaner. It worked great but I'll know better next time. I'll clean again in the fall with Murphy's. I definitely take pride in mine. When I finally saw the streaks I was devastated. It made the finish so dull looking. I was embarrassed so that's why there is only one pic of the before. She's gleaming now though.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

I suggest Protect-All rubber roof cleaner. Just spray it on and wipe with a damp sponge mop. Follow up with the rubber roof treatment. I have this for years and it works great, no streaks. BTW kantonburg, any time you want to detail a trailer, mine is available.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobert View Post
I suggest Protect-All rubber roof cleaner. Just spray it on and wipe with a damp sponge mop. Follow up with the rubber roof treatment. I have this for years and it works great, no streaks. BTW kantonburg, any time you want to detail a trailer, mine is available.
I don't mind detaining the cap, but the entire trailer sucked. By the end of Saturday my arms felt like jello. I don't have smooth sides so I ruined two pads on the corrugated surface grabbing edges. Just no way around it.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #8

Hey kantonburg, I saw your post last July 2017 when you had done your front cap and posted pictures. I got the equipment you had suggested (da polisher, pads, etc.) . Toughest to find was the Speed stuff but after waiting for several weeks, Amazon re-stocked and I was able to get that also. I've now done my front cap twice and very pleased with the results. Never have got that top 2 or 3 foot yet though. I'm not much on heights anymore. May try to talk grandkids into the high part.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Hey kantonburg, I saw your post last July 2017 when you had done your front cap and posted pictures. I got the equipment you had suggested (da polisher, pads, etc.) . Toughest to find was the Speed stuff but after waiting for several weeks, Amazon re-stocked and I was able to get that also. I've now done my front cap twice and very pleased with the results. Never have got that top 2 or 3 foot yet though. I'm not much on heights anymore. May try to talk grandkids into the high part.
Good deal. The polisher works great. I got my HD Speed from Autogeek.net. Amazon at the time didn't carry it. What pads did you get?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well you came out in the end with a shiny, good looking camper so not all was lost.

Consider yourself lucky...
Many years ago, as a very young couple and recently married, we purchased our first brand spankin' new trailer and took it on its maiden voyage for a weekend.

Upon returning home Sunday evening, we both remarked about the bug splatter on the front and I told my DW I would address it when I got home from work Monday as I didn't wan't it to bake on too long.

I guess the word 'bake' must have stuck because while I was at work, my DW (trying to do me a favor) used OVEN CLEANER on the front of the camper to remove the bugs.

We had to repaint. No amount of buffing restored melted paint!

We still laugh about that one to this day, some 35 years later.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
I used the Meguiars spray wax also. I had Murphy's oil soap but decided last minute to used the rubber roof cleaner. It worked great but I'll know better next time. I'll clean again in the fall with Murphy's. .
One thing I forgot.

If you use Murphy's Oil Soap, make certain that you use the ORIGINAL Murphy's. It doesn't contain some of the harmful ingredients that the later versions have.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Good deal. The polisher works great. I got my HD Speed from Autogeek.net. Amazon at the time didn't carry it. What pads did you get?
I got the black fine polishing pad and the next one down from that (forgot the color since I didn't use it) from HF. I may have to use it though on the upper part since it is looking quite dull up there. It takes me a couple of hours to do what little bit I do. I wondered if it would work on the sides which are ribbed like yours but I saw way more work than I was up to doing. I take the easy way out on my sides and back with the NuFinish wipe-on wipe-off. It takes care of the black streaks. Thanks for your posts.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
I take the easy way out on my sides and back with the NuFinish wipe-on wipe-off. It takes care of the black streaks. Thanks for your posts.
I've read a few times about people using NuFinish. I hear it protects well. I've never used it.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

OMG I needed a good laugh!
Katmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #15

that message was for the gentleman that used oven cleaner
Katmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #16

I'm curious, what one-step cleaner/wax did you use? Were you using an orbital buffer?

The end result looks fantastic!

[QUOTE=kantonburg;1823130]Two weeks ago it was perfect weather to clean my roof. Dawn and Camco rubber roof cleaner. Roof came out great. The next several days we had very hard rain followed by 4-5 days of 90+ degree weather.

Evidently I didn't get all the residue off the roof when rinsing and/or didn't get all off the sides. Washing, spot cleaning with an all purpose cleaner did nothing.

The entire camper was like this. Just baked on,

The only thing I found that worked was machine polishing. I'm a recreational detailer and have the equipment and product to fix this myself. So I spend Friday afternoon, 5 hours Saturday, and 3 hours today machine polishing the entire camper. I used a one step product with a cleaner and wax so as I was cleaning I didn't have to wax it afterwards. Granted it looks better than the day we bought it. I never ever want to do that again.
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #17

Wow! That is awesome kantonburg! The shine will last longer than the pain.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
I'm curious, what one-step cleaner/wax did you use? Were you using an orbital buffer?

The end result looks fantastic!
This post was from last year when I did just the front cap. There is more detail on what I used. Same machine and product this past go.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...id-138765.html
Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #19

Murphys for me !!!
I don't want to use anything that will remove the wax from our MN !!!
Roof does not need to be clean enough to eat of of !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Murphys for me !!!
I don't want to use anything that will remove the wax from our MN !!!
Roof does not need to be clean enough to eat of of !!!

At the time I was washing my roof I needed to wax anyway. I had already purchased blue Dawn to strip the remaining wax and I was trying to beat the rain the day I cleaned the roof.

Tags
cleaning, roo, roof