Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I swore I'd never get one with either. And now I've got a Ford 6.7. People make a much bigger deal about def than it is. I never think about it. It adds $30 to an oil change- other than that you ignore it. Everyone I know or have talked to with a 6.4 gets horrible mileage- I'll trade the extra 5 or 6 mpg for an extra 30 at an oil change any day.
I deal with DEF everyday I dislike it.
Your mileage in part is the six speed tranny.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud
Oh and I believe that 2-3 gallons of fuel are used durring regens, so def systems will save $ if your non def goes thru cycles frequently.
Around here its about $10 for 2.5 gal

MillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
When I had my 2008 Ford with the 6.4 and it went into regen mode I could just watch my fuel gauge drop...........then I bought my 2011 Ford with the 6.7 and have only put def fluid in it 3 times with almost 15,000 miles on it. I only drive 16 miles round trip to work everyday and I've only seen my 6.7 regen only a hand full of times as compared to the 6.4 a couple times a month. I liked my 6.4 but my 6.7 is way better!
Spiker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I deal with DEF everyday I dislike it.
Your mileage in part is the six speed tranny.
Care to expand on that? How exactly is it that you deal with DEF "everyday"? The average 6.7 owner will add DEF every 10,000 miles. For me that's once a year or so. I just have it topped off at oil changes at 5K and never have to deal with it at all.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Get a Chevy. Mucho Grande.

Really, you should have no problem getting a short wheel base truck, but may have to sacrifice ride quality and yes with current diesels, there is the regen issue. Find a good used 2007 or so with low mile, short bed ext cab and it is just like a regular 1/2 ton pickup. Chevy LBZ would be my choice ( which I already have), but the Ram and Ford units are good also. There are recommendation here on the forum and elsewhere on the best years to buy of these trucks, based on performance and repair records.

Just an idea.

I believe the Chevy changed emissions drastically in 2007.5 as did the dodges... Not sure about ford... I would actually aim for an 06 if you want reliability and fuel economy in either of these two...

Speaking for dodge at least the 2006 and early 2007 with the 5.9 cummins will be hands down the best combo of motor and tranny with the creature comforts. The newer 6.7 has more power and a few extras like exhaust brake and manual gear selection on the auto trans but has the emissions junk (which can be deleted for a cost...)

I personally am not a fan of the 6.0L power stroke which the majority of true diesel fanatics will admit there is just no reliability. Too many little issues that can cause a big issue with these motors, Some were great, some were horrible...

Any diesel isn't going to like being driven short distances. What happens is the oils (engine and trans) get warmed a little and then allowed to cool back off. Doing this creates moisture build up. Doing this for periods of days/weeks/months can put a significant amount of water into the oils. By getting the truck up to operating temp and sustaining that for a bit allows the oil to "cook" that moisture out of the oil.

I drive my 06 cummins about a mile one way to work every day. I am also a volunteer firefighter so there are a number of times I drive to work, then fire it back up during work to go to the station about a half mile away and back.... I just make sure to get it on the highway once in a while...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
I my opinion DEF is not a big deal. I have it on my MH and there is no stinky diesel smell. It uses a small amount and adds almost nothing to the cost of running the MH. I wish the gen had it also as that stinks. A friend runs a Cummins shop and has said that diesel motors in the near future will have exhaust that is cleaner than intake air. I didn't know if mine has ever done a regen I guess it has but if so it did it with out me knowing. This is a MH that runs about two hours at a time before we find a spot to take a brake. It is a 6.7 cummins with a 2500 Allison Trans. Good power and fuel mileage with clean exhaust. What more would I ask for. Don't be afraid of the DEF it's a non issue.

Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

f150, towing